Olive 250 transistors

If it was me I would ask them to return it before they get eBay involved.

I have to admit I wouldn’t want it with unmatched transistors.

1 Like

sure, I’ll open it up when I get home.

1 Like

Do you not know this 250’s history…? You didn’t realize that some of the power transistors had been changed…? (albeit in the regs)

I think if I was the Buyer, I would want certainty. In the absence of that, I would return it.

Looks iffy to me I wouldn’t be pleased.
I’ve ringed in white some differences.
The boards look like different ages colours.
The screw heads are a bit chewed on 007s and there is different initial markings in the two boards.
Looks like a Frankenamp to me I’d reject it.

1 Like

Yep. Meant to say exactly that earlier but got distracted by phone calls!

Hmm, yes a small possibility.

It all hinges on whether Naim (or other authorised service) have the repair on record.

1 Like

Assuming it went back to Salisbury, give the serial number and any rma/repairs can be seen in the system. You might be able to get a fresh print of the repair log, assuming the data is still visible in efacs.

2 Likes

Something I missed earlier (which nay be pertinent) is the 4 blue capacitors on each regulator board, which are NOT the originals. So this amp has been serviced at some stage.

@snarfy What exactly is your understanding of the history of this amp ?

1 Like

The last Olive NAP250s used NA007s in place of NA001s in the regulation section. Although I don’t know why just the one reg board here - Maybe @NeilS can add some insight here?

1 Like

I think Marketing missed a trick here, they should have labeled the trannies as JB007, “Licenced to Thrill”. :laughing:

3 Likes

I don’t know the history but might be able to find out.

The TO3 transistors are all genuine & 007s were indeed used in the power supply section of the later 250s - however they shouldn’t have been mixed like that.
The unit has had some work done, the 47uF axials & discharge/bleed resistors are not standard, so they have possibly been replaced (or the whole board) at some point.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

@snarfy
Do I recall from the ad that you bought the amp from overseas - Australia maybe? If so, not sure if that will affect record keeping - or service.

1 Like

Thanks Neil

Yes Australia

I wouldn’t be interested in records it’s either right or not and the fact that one qualified person points out thst they shouldn’t be mixed is more than enough to reject the item end off.
Even if they said it was ok as repair I wouldn’t be happy with a mis match.

1 Like

Sure but this is the real world where +20 year old gear has likely been traded multiple times and the records of service or repairs don’t follow the item every time. If a buyer has super specific requirements like the transistors all need to match then IMO it’s on them to ask. The buyer didn’t ask and I made no representations either. He didn’t even care to ask if it had been serviced.

Out of curiosity, why should they not be mixed?

I was just saying that they wouldn’t have been mixed from the factory. We’ve always been very hot on matching across the channels.
The devices in the power supply stage are far less critical than the amp stage though.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks Neil.