Olympics

Football, tennis and rugby shouldn’t be part of it, these sports have sufficient platform already.

With you on that Neil

Out of control if you ask me

Fiji take the 7s from NZ. These guys are virtually unbeatable

1 Like

Yeah didn’t surprise me at all

1 Like

For me, add golf to that list too…the pro’s surely don’t need another tournament.

The Olympics for many participants used to be ‘the event’ to prepare for but nowadays with many of the sports, it’s seems just another event in the annual calendar and the IOC have succumbed to populism by the number of sports now included and opening the gates to professional participants.

3 Likes

Yes maybe they should just leave out the sports that have professional / commercial leagues. What’s the point really? We already see those sports all year round…

1 Like

I suspect the argument is that track & field is professional (has been for many years), so why can’t other sports be too - noting how many were shamateur sports due to sponsorships and endorsements.

But (as you say) golf, rugby, tennis & football are, arguably, already fully-saturated by the media and many of the top players don’t participate at the Olympics which devalues the events as the pinnacle of achievement.

Agree on football and tennis but 7’s gets barely any exposure and apart for the odd events in HK and HQ, rarely gets on to telly!

Yes and golf can go too.

In terms of both individual and team sports I think the olympics is a useful international competition. Athletes are representing their country rather than club, obvious I know. So I like to see the combined GBNI hockey and rugby teams for example.

Good candidate sports, however they already look quite organised and even professional:

Regarding the latter, maybe we should for sake of equality and the good example also introduce Man-carrying.

5 Likes

I suggest The Covid Dodge.

Team event, two teams opposing in each match, each team consists of 7 players as below:

Two Double Dosed - Split, masked and unmasked.
Two Anti Vaxers - The same.
One medico professional type.
One journalist from any accredited media outlet.
An MP or local councillor of your choice.

Scoring system partly based on scoring goals e.g. completion of a successful vaccination campaign (at the same time avoiding own goals such as the classic candid camera shot of kissing your non bubble girlfriend outside the office) and partly based on subjective, if slightly random, added marks for style and flair such as a potential bonus award if said girlfriend is clearly way out of your league.

Ultimate objective is to move from clueless, yet opportunist, state of apathy to regional domination, whether by way of unending slanging matches or actual proven results. Endgame is achieved either through majority survival or team extinction event.

6 Likes

Watching the women’s 7’s this morning, clearly all Fijians are quick.

Also saw USA play Japan, bit like watching men against girls, something of a difference in scale.

2 Likes

GB are playing NZ now

1 Like

And how!

1 Like

Bit of a shock, but there’s still time

Apparently so.

It’s easy you’ve just got to score more points than them. :grin:

Loved when NZ’s Blyde was running down the line! That’s a reminder of when I played, ‘fk it, you can have that!’

2 Likes

We’re saving ourselves for the final……

1 Like

You’re obviously not their coach.:grin:

1 Like