Olympics

Carmina Burana obviously.

2 Likes

Good idea…

It’s pretty awful surf, have no idea why they didn’t have a few days in reserve.

Wow, the GB and Argentina wins were both a bit exciting!

Smashed GB in pool game. Though I didn’t see it.

Aus Fiji on now…

Just watching it, always hopefully but the realist in me has doubts.

Those Fijians are just too quick.

Everyone’s too quick in Sevens!

I played in my one and only Sevens tournament about thirty years ago. Decided there and then it was a stupid game and never put my name forward again!

I wouldn’t be quick enough to get the oranges to them at half time

They think it’s all over…

It is now!

So, the competition is now down to whether Fiji beat GB or NZ in the final.

Even though I’m a kiwi from way back I’ll go for NZ , but Fiji will win anyway - they have been the powerhouse over last 5 years or so

ROC

Proof that by changing your country’s name, uniform and anthem you can get round a global doping ban.

Also Eurosport just announced that Thomas Gerant will be participating in the Men’s Time Trial cycling tomorrow…which is nice.

2 Likes

Or proof the IOC is spineless …
Oh no we are straying into politics…

3 Likes

I thought they’d compete under the Olympic flag. Took us 2 days to work out what it meant, we where trying to find a country called ROC.

1 Like

Am I missing something or is Taekwondo just a glorified Olympic kicking contest with a lot of coach VAR thrown in for good measure

I’ll get my coat!!

2 Likes

Agree, hard work just watching it.

Also, how the hell do judges judge the surfing?

As we’re in the correct time zone for the games I’m not sure how people feel about posting results of events held while most are asleep.

That’s one thing that I think sucks about the Olympics now - too many subjective sports. I wish they would limit it to the fundamental objective sports and keep legacy subjective sports (e.g., gymnastics figure skating), while ditching stuff like synchronized swimming, rhythm gymnastics, skateboarding, snowboarding, etc.) and pare down the team sports, leaving basketball, water polo, and hockey (and I am sure a few others) because they have been in from the very beginning. I am glad baseball was removed, even though I like baseball…it’s just not the proper place for it.

But it’s all about money, TV, and politics now.

2 Likes

I think subjectively scored sports cannot all be rejected but as things like surfing are added (in a nod to modernisation) then some sports should surely be dropped. Do shooting events really still have a place? Graeco-Roman wrestling? I think it is good the Olympics showcases the minority sports that have little international exposure between times but surely they need to have reasonably wide participation. I know every sport will have passionate advocates in specific IOC countries but still.

I also think the big professional sports that have huge exposure (and wealth) such as football, tennis and golf seem a poor fit.

As for the new additions, I thought the street skateboard was risible. At least in the skiing equivalent they do a series of tricks in each run! 3x3 basketball seems very contrived, but if you have that in then chop the full team event.

Bruce