One ND555, One CDP555, 2 PS 555DR; is this crazy?

Burn in started a bit harsh which faded after a day or two, there was then a two steps forward one step back period which became less noticeable as time went by. Full burn in was about 6 months, you’ll think its over before then but it just keeps improving.

I have a home made linear power block with chained single MK sockets, after much experimentation I’ve arrived at, from the input lead, 555ps, turntable ps, supercap (for superline), 552ps, DVD5, 500ps. I was quite surprised that the 500 ended up last but it gave a good increase in scale there as opposed to earlier on the block, the 555ps was always best in the first socket. The TTps migrated from the last socket to second at the suggestion of my dealer, he was right too. The DVD5 is SPdif to the ND555, it hardly gets used but isn’t entirely redundant. Other power blocks may well lead to a different order judging by some of the posts I’ve read but most use double MKs or boutique blocks like the MusicFirst with its ring for L and N and (unequal length) star earthing.

It really only took a month I guess… I just never used the CD555 so rather than gathering dust I recouped some of the cost of the ND555 by selling the CD player.

I would have maybe agreed partly with you here, but not since I have acquired a Melco D100 to rip my CDs … all level of digital hash seems to have disappeared and my rips now have that clear sound with an inky black background that you describe.

2 Likes

Cd555 will be a classic in next 10 years, iconic item, maybe:)

Hi Richard, thanks! I will not worry about this now anymore, and finish tuning the setup of my nd555!

To the point about keeping the cdp as a classic…Doesn’t it make more sense to have a “core”, so that for whatever cds you want to hear you can benefit from the nd 555 superior dac? Has anyone compared a cd through cdp555 vs the same cd through core (as transport) & nd555 as dac?

Uniti Core as a transport is not as good as ND555 as a transport (getting a file from the Uniti Core via Ethernet connection).

All the demonstration I have heard of the nd555 have used the core as a feed?

Ok so will have to consider some “core” like product…in a few days! After I start enjoying some good qobuz streaming with mconnect!

This is no doubt true. In my opinion the better solution is to use a dedicated cd transport, rather than a Core, and feed its digital output into one of the s/pdif inputs on the ND555. Of course it depends on the quality of the transport, but even a fairly inexpensive one can sound quite good. Personally, I am never going to rip every CD I own–for example, 100-disk box sets of classical reissues (purchased at less than $1 per disk)…

Is that a Naim Core, or a Roon Core?!

AHT, I thought like you initially. But as I realize the potential of the nd555,I really would like to give a new life to my cd collection and the only way is to …rip and store to get it through the digital input in.

Interesting. So there’s a clear need still for hi end CD players.

Like maybe the chord Blu2 transport ?

Interesting. The question is then “ripping & storing” or just “spinning and enjoying (and repeat manually)” with the Blu2. I guess the best is to be able to do both with an integrated solution like Innuos? Any other options in 1 box or move to Melco?

Blu2 allows a connection from USB and SPDIF so really is flexible and is an integrated solution

As for servers, I would use the Naim core…

personally though I don’t see the issue with ripping CD’s, I can’t be bothered to actually play a CD anymore.

I would rather rip them and hence have a pile of purchased CD’s just gathering dust in my storage…

Same here that is exactly what I think too. I see few people on the forum advocate for the naim core. Ideally there should be a reference level upgrade to compete with the alternatives…

Not sure that is needed.

The alternatives advantage is a network switch with some good isolation

That is available for a lot less money I.e Cisco etc… Sotm also and other like sonore… I choose the cheapest which is Cisco !

the Melco products are very good and Innuos very good too…

But I got limited cash so need to make the most from the least cash

For someone like myself that has a NDS/555dr and is looking for a better streamer/dac the Bartok looks a great bit off kit for the money and wouldn’t cost much to upgrade to it once the NDS/555dr is sold. If the sound is on par then thats a bargin i think.
But i think if you are comparing the ND555/555dr then i think the dcs rossini should be the one and i know ftom experience that this out classes the naim by some way and the best thing i have ever heard.

HiDunc, for sure I’m not looking at a better dac…hopefully not for the next 10 years. But I would need a box to feed the nd555 when I’m not streaming Qobuz remotely; and if it also allows me to rip my cds then even better.