One step forward: ER +lpsu

Thank you Michael. I suspect that this is the ups & downs of early stage run-in.

I’ll let it settle for a few days.

I’m sure a DC3 would be even better but the extra funds are earmarked for a replacement cartridge for the vinyl spinner.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

And in my case it’s a sort of DC3+ so pricier still…

That said, I’ve generally found that PRaT is either there or not from the get-go, maybe being a little adolescent and then maturing with burn-in…

Yes give them time to burn in BF. PH advised me about a month, there is certainly no lack of boogie factor in my system now after a few months of the new ER and SR4T settling down.

2 Likes

Good to know, thank you Michael. Time for another listen…

Yes I have the same feeling as I adjust to my new reality. More clarity, depth, huge soundstage, voicing, details, deeper and better bass etc so that there clearly cannot be any turning back…but!
But less prat…where did it go?
I understand that as the message gets more complex (and the ear has to integrate this huge lot of new information it was not getting so far) it needs to reconsider the « rhythm » and adjust. It may take some time.
At present I’m thinking that I maybe need Isoacoustic gaia speaker supports? Any insight into what they bring?

There are several threads about Isoacoustic Gaia speaker feet, as well as Townshend podiums, Stillpoints, Finite Elemente and others.

Here’s one of many posts on the subject:
Isoacoustic Gaia II under ART Alnico speakers

Hope it helps.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

I wonder if the less prat is just an illusion, because with the SMPS the soundstage is recessed, more focused, and that may give an impression of more prat.
Personally my foot is tapping, I don’t feel any lack in that department , and on some systems I quickly feel if there’s a lack of prat generally.

1 Like

Maybe it would be enough to play with speaker positioning if possible, particularly if you feel that the loss of PRaT is due to loss of bass control and perhaps some overhang… maybe a bit more out into the room and/or away from corners etc.?

1 Like

Interesting recent thoughts that have been posted, my SR4T is due to arrive this week, I will bear these things in mind, definitely good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I have tried the GAIA III under ProAc D28. As many have reported, it cleans and brings focus to the entire presentation but takes out a substantial part of PRaT.

2 Likes

This is also what I’m thinking…sometimes simple messages are more impactful! Maybe I just need to get used. This also reflects on the … volume knob. Before there was an instant “linear” impact of turning on the volume. Now it seems like as you turn on the volume you really have first the soundstage opening up (with additional weight being put in the width) and only at a certain volume level do you really get the “lift off” from this much more solid foundation…

It reminds me when I had the cdx2 bare. When I added the xps2, I thought there was less prat on first listenings, but in fact the sound was less centered and forward.

Hi Janner,
After circa 50 hours of run time, the system was still sounding a bit slow & ponderous with both SR4T installed, so time for a bit of experimentation.

After trying a number of combinations of power supply and cable, it transpires that both SR4T supplies are perfectly fine, as is the copper dc cable.
However, whichever SR4T supply uses the silver dc cable makes music sound sluggish and uninvolving.

At the moment, the EtherRegen is powered by the SR4T and copper dc cable. The opticalRendu is back running off one of the HDPLEX200W 7 Volt channels.
The system lacks the amazing resolution and imaging that it has with two SR4T in place but it does time much better and therefore makes all music sound more involving and enjoyable.

The silver dc cable is going back to Paul Hynes Design, while they are sending a couple more dc cables for me to try.

So in summary, the SR4T with copper cable has improved the performance of the EtherRegen. The larger uplift in resolution and imaging comes with a power supply upgrade for the opticalRendu but that uplift cannot be at a cost to musical timing and emotional engagement.

More to come when the new dc cables arrive.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Mirrors what I’ve found with silver cables

1 Like

Interesting these observations on dc silver cables. Mine is Oyiade pure silver . Absolutely no lack of prat.
I would be curious to try a good copper one, but it’s impossible in my case . It’s attached to the ps,
I have some modern lps of albums I have in hires, with some strength rhythms. I can’t say they sound slower through my Nds vs the Rega RP10/ Lyra Delos.

Good to know Michael.

I find it frankly barmy to suggest that a dc power cable to a digital network device can affect the timing of an analogue music signal, yet that is precisely what my ears are indicating. Baffling.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

I only use the finest Vintage LPS :laughing:

Running at the optimum 10.85v @ 0.55A

Sounds good to me! :bear:

…this was just to hear if the bundled ER SMPS could be bettered - and by how much.
Was a bit surprised how much - even with this PS from the 70s.

DB.

2 Likes

Probably the effect of using these wooden shims and esoteric cables.

Perhaps its the extreme care that you have taken with respect to the physical installation of the power supply that makes all the difference?

I also find that a very fine layer of grey dust decouples the electronics from underlying vibrations in the floor below…

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Everything at this point was experiment - it was a test-rig to find out what worked. :slightly_smiling_face:

The PS sounded better not direct sitting on carpet, so a slate under improved things in the bass - and the slate is (hidden) sitting on three nuts on aluminum sheet under the slate. That got rid of a ‘boom’ note in bass.
The Ethernet touching the side of the case - hard to dress it all - spoiled performance and the oak chunks solved that problem and opened-out the midband again.

It looks awful but sounds great - next it all needs to be properly shelved and a dedicated LPS used - this was my test into what would happen.

The fact it makes the difference it did should not surprise me, but it still rather did.

DB.

1 Like