One step forward: ER +lpsu

I currently have an English Electric between an Apple router and my ND555. I’m considering replacing it with or adding an EtherRegen. Would either the Paul Hynes SR-4 or the Uptone LPS 1.2 work with both of them? How about a Roon Nucleus (Intel Nuc)?
I know there are other options but these are ones I’ve researched the most and which may be easier to obtain in the U.S.

Better go for the Paul Hynes SR4, or Uptone JS2. The lps 1.2 gives a little improvement.

1 Like

Will the SR4 work for both the EE and the ER? I want to use it on the EE and if later I want to demo the ER, I can do it with the LPS.

I just asked Paul Hynes that question.
Bud

The EE requires a 5 volt supply, the ER is capable of taking 7, 9 and 12 volts with no modification. So a supply that cannot do a bridge between 5 and the ER voltages will not work.

1 Like

Just a side note: both John and Alex have stated repeatedly to use the eR with either a 9v or 12v LPSU, 7v being ill-advised.

It looks like the Paul Hynes SR4 will work. The SR4-12 has switch positions for 5v, 7v, 9v and 12v.
The Uptone JS2 appears to work also. Unfortunately, the JS2 is larger and more expensive than I’d want.

1 Like

Hope it works out keep us posted.

1 Like

i ended up with the MCRU level 3 LPS and can report gave a nice uplift in SQ
bit more micro detail and bit less digital harshness (only just about a week of burn in so far)

2 Likes

So not a whouah effect as myself ? Just a little bit ?

Just to clarify: uplift vs what? What did you replace?

Would say was immediately noticeable similar to when connecting the ER, felt has also improved over the first week too. Overall am very happy with it :smile:

1 Like

The level 3 mcru lps replaced the stock smps supply that came with the ER

1 Like

Hi Michael,
They’ve arrived…
Paul Hynes SR4T with 0.5m silver cable now feeding opticalRendu at 7V

Separate Paul Hynes SR4T with 0.5m copper cable now feeding EtherRegen at 9V.
For some reason that is beyond me, the EtherRegen didn’t allow the Prestige server to be found on the network when the SR4T was at 12V, so I switched everything off, changed the voltage to 9V and restarted all the network & streaming bits & bobs. Now all fine. After another reboot, it would probably have been fine at 12V too.

I’ll give it all a few hours to settle in, then have a good listen tomorrow.

Did the system need more than a couple of hours to settle down when you inserted your SR4T into the system?

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Just a quick note that the eR will run even warmer/hotter set at 9V versus 12V. It will, of course, work, but according to the creators it is not optimal.

1 Like

Glad to hear they arrived safely. I think things settle down in a couple of weeks although at no time did they sound bad.

Good point in the post above … do set the ER one to 12v that is optimal.

Well, the 2 Paul Hynes SR4T have been quietly doing their stuff now for about 18 hours, powering the EtherRegen and the opticalRendu.

This is not going to be the straight forward “no brainer” upgrade that I had expected.

The ER’s supply is now running at 12 Volts and replaces the ER’s factory supplied 7.5V brick.

The oR’s supply is running at 7 Volts and replaces a feed from the HDPLEX200 power supply that also powers the Prestige music server via a different 19 Volt channel. This SR4T should have the greater impact, as it isolates the oR streamer from the server in terms of power supplies, preventing another noise leakage path around the fibre optic network feed to the oR.

The system sounds noticeably different to yesterday afternoon. With a few hours run time under its belt, streamed music now sounds calmer, with fine details emerging effortlessly from the mix. The old cliche about hearing details that I’d never heard before absolutely applies and in a captivating way. It is easier than ever to follow individual instruments in complex mixes. The placement of instruments in space is clearer, sharper and more stable too.

Music sounds more natural and unforced, or CDS3-like, for those who have had the pleasure of hearing this wonderful Naim music-maker. This is the smoothest, least relentless that I can ever recall a system sounding that features a Chord DAVE dac.

So far, so good then.

But, but, but music has lost its groove. Bass lines sound incredibly well defined, articulate and clear yet a bit slow and ponderous. The set-up cannot stay as it is. Perhaps more run-in time is needed. In the meantime, I am going to revert one power supply at a time to the previous arrangement in order to identify whether the oR or ER is responsible for this loss of groove.

More to come in this journey of discovery …

4 Likes

Very interesting to hear your thoughts so far BF…I have been struggling to put into appropriate words what I’m hearing with the SR4T in place but your description of the extra detail and clarity really captures it. Still also the very first listening impression I had was that toe tapping vibe I was missing a little bit.

Now some hours in either my hearing is accommodating to the sonic change or there’s some bedding in going on. Either way the benefit is far outweighing the initial downside. I’m going to leave the SR4T in place for a week before I try switching back to the SMPS.

I just have ER so will be interesting to see how your experience develops…

1 Like

I had the same feeling the maybe 10 first hours. A bit less involvement. But after run in it disappeared. And not a brain accommodating effect. I put the SMPS after and not detected better prat.

FWIW I had none of this loss of groove with the Sean Jacobs: there was an immediate big leap in everything, including PRaT, which gradually consolidated and became somewhat more cohesive, and organic and “authoritative” for want of a better word.