One step forward: ER +lpsu

Whouah! The big jump Jim! Well done. With mundorph capacitors? Or the standard one?

Yes, with mundorph capacitors.

2 Likes

Still I would be pleasantly surprised since the ultracap lps 1.2 was already such a strong lift

You can return it if not satisfied, but for me it was a bigger uplift than between Cisco and ER. Let it burn in at minimum 5 hours before listening. Then it will really open completely after 100 hours.

Will let you know. Delivery is longer than from uptone audio
they saymade to order

Yes, around 1 week. But quick for COVID times. Uptone is specially quick, 4 days from US.
However normal delivery is actually very long. I received an lp from UK: 3 weeks later.
Very soon lps from US: around 2 months!

Hi a quick question about this mcru option 3: I see it is 12V but cannot find the maximum current 
anyone?

I think its 2.5 amps, i came across it in their general psu section.

Thanks Gazza! That would be good because Ultracap lps is 1.1A so it would have a wider range. Still first thing I will put it on the ER. If it sounds better than the ultracap, then I will have to relocate the ultracap ( but with 1.1 A not easy)
Next targets are the wireless router (12v 2A) and also the modem (5v 2A).
Any suggestions/ advice?

I would give mcru a call, as they make so many types to suit your own personal requirements.

I will. Still, considering the improvements to SQ an lps brought to the ER (and the overall sound quality) one wonders can this « lps blessing » be extended to all other parts of the « signal pathway » ???
For instance has Anyone tried to replace the original smps from their Wifi router with an lps and experienced benefits?
And even more upstream the modem ( i have a box that takes in the fiber signal and feeds the wifi router)?
Intuitively you would think that it should help!!!

Earlier links in the chain have (exponentially?) less effect on noise at the dac.

I have changed my commercial router recently. The last one from SFR had a proprietary 4 pins dc cable . I couldn’t replace it and put a linear ps.
I have a new router from Sfr since 3 months. I just had a look and see that the dc cable is normal ( 5/5 or 5/1).

I made some research in google: the Sfr SMPS is 12v 3a. I ordered an Ifi ipower x 12v / 2a from Amazon. I am curious now if it will still improve something on sound quality.
Will report.

The Ifi ipower x costs 100 euros. I had before one on a netgear switch, it gave a little nice uplift. I feel I will be enough. I can’t imagine buying a costly linear ps for a crap commercial router. Eventually something like an Sbooster. But no more.
But want first to see if it can change something. I can easily return the ifi power x.

Isn’t the amperage on that psu too low?

The power supply should provide the same Amperage as the spec on the device it will power, or more. Do not use a PSU that cannot supply enough current.

I hope no. For the ER, as Nestor mentioned above, the Uptone lp 1.2 is 12v/ 1.1 a. The ER is 2a. But it worked.
Will try very soon

Uptone audio recommends their Lps 1.2 ( 12v/ 1.1) for their Etheregen ( 12v/2a).

That makes no sense, are you sure those figures are correct?

I checked, apparently the ER is 12v / 0,8a, not 2a. So maybe you are right, not sure that 12v / 2a will be enough to power a router which is 12v/ 3a.
I asked that question on a new topic.

I read under the SMPS of the router: 12v / 2,5 a.
Do you think 12v / 2a will be enough?