One step forward: ER +lpsu

Long range audio/video transmission doesn’t necessarily translate into better sound quality. It’s not robustness that we’re after or need in our setups.

I chose single mode per the recs of some users over on the AS forum. YMMV, but I thought for not much $ I’d give it a try, and I do think it sounds slightly less ‘digitally.’ I think you’d be fine with either though.

If you really want to go for it, then I would recommend a pair of opticalModules like I’m using, and go Cisco> fiber>oM>short copper>oM>fiber>eR>copper>streamer. In my case the final leg is into an opticalRendu so no need for an eR. But I would also imagine an eR would make a second opticalModule redundant. You could also try Cisco>copper>oM>fiber>eR>copper>ND555.

The idea behind introducing the Optical Module is to avoid using the SFP port of the EtherRegen.

So, going from :

[Cisco_3560]–(fiber )–[ER ]–(copper )–[ND555]

to :

[Cisco_3560]–(fiber )–[Sonore OM ]–(copper )–[ER ]–(copper )–[ND555]

Ah, I see.

1 Like

Would someone post a synopsis of the more popular ER Linear power supplies worth considering and the price range. The ER would be the only thing powered.

Once I get the list then I can do my own research.

There is no sense considering the ER w/o considering the LPS to go with it.

I’ll be using it with an ND555 and Roon Nucleus.

I currently have the ND555 wired from an Apple router through an English Electric switch.

Thanks in advance.
Bud

Sean Jacobs
Paul Hynes SR4
MCRU option 3 for Etheregen

Other less expensive, but less effective : Uptone Lps 1.2, MCRU option 1, Israeli TP …

Paul Hynes SR4T with 0.2m silver cable fitted with a 1.2mm plug.

There is also the :

JCAT OPTIMO 3 DUO

Which allows to power 2 devices (voltages and cables can be chosen during purchase process)

REVIEW :

–> https://youtu.be/7KrWEPvJPto

Just for completeness i did get a customs bill from Fedex for the princely sum of £29.28p which with the ER price comes in at a total of £550.

Thanks Gazza, so cheaper to buy the eR direct from the US.

Too late for me but others might benefit, assuming they don’t mind a little wait.

If they are in stock and shipping…took 5 days in total.

What do we expect from a power supply?
Simple : providing current with as less noise as possible.

The ER needs a 12V source…

So, here is the cleanest 12V source ever.

A bit bulky, needs some recharging.
But for the price of the JCAT we can have a lot of those.
And it performs much better than any LPS at any price.

It is bit of a joke, of course, but in practice it is really a totally noiseless power source!

OK, who is going to be the first to try this. I seem to remember JS relating in a post on AS that a battery was not the way to go, that a good linear was better. Cannot remember the details, but I think it was something about the source impedance of the battery versus a good ps. EE’s please jump in on that?

Indeed, a battery can have pretty high impedance comparing to a power supply.

But we can put a few of them in parallel to solve the problem.

Of course I wouldn’t use batteries to power an amp, at least not directly. But batteries could be used with low impedance capacitors.

A lot of ideas for those who enjoy tinkering :smiley:

Thanks,
Bud

1 Like

Sean Jacobs DC3 is what I use, admittedly a heavily modified version but the difference as crazy as it sounds was similar to adding a second PS555 to the ND555. Way bigger uplift than adding the ER. You do need a bigger budget than some of the other options mentioned though. @frenchrooster gets very good results from the MCRU P/S which is a lot cheaper.

1 Like

Interesting! This add to the fact that Ethernet transmitted noise affects the ND555.

I might replace my UltraCap 1.2 and power the EtherRegen with a JCAT Optimo 3 Duo. They advertise it as being an extremely silent linear power supply.

I’ll use the UltraCap 1.2 to power the Sonore Optical Module.

2 Likes

@Thomas not sure why but my ER1 feeds ER2 which feed Melco N10 which then connects directly to the ND555. Most music I play is from the Melco. Sounds better. Weird to me by my ears tell me the difference is staggering. I only use Catsnake cables as well. Tried Vodka, was terrible, sucked the life out of my system. Removing it was like a slap in the face the sound was so different… The Vodka stopped me hearing into the recording if that makes sense. Tried it between the ER’s as well, no different! Did the same as between Melco and ND555. I conclude the quality of cable between items does not make a difference (in my system) where it is the effect is present wherever its placed. Still have no idea why when the Melco plays directly to the ND555.

As long as there is an electrical connection between your network and the ND555, noise will pass through.

The ER those a great job at isolating, but it’s not perfect…

The ER isn’t immune to the noise injected by its own power supply, which is then transmitted to the ND555.

Stacking two ER, of course, helps. The second ER isolates your ND555 from the noise transmitted by the first ER.

The only way to be sure to not transmit Ethernet conducted noise the ND555 is to introduce a fiber connection between the network and the ND555. And power the ER with a very silent power supply.

The question is where to place the fiber?

My own setup is like so :

[Cisco_3560]–(fiber )–[ER ]–(copper )–[ND555]

It gives excellent results (to my ears). Much better than using ethernet cables (copper).

@Darkebear tried similar setup but found it wasn’t to his taste. Perhaps, the ER’s SFP slot isn’t as good as expected. But this is just an uninformed guess.

The other way to place fiber between the rest of the network and the ND555, while avoiding using the ER’s SFP slot, is :

[Cisco_3560]–(fiber)–[Sonore OM]–(copper)–[ER]–(copper)–[ND555]

I’ll try that at some point (already have the Sonore OM) and compare it my actual setup.

1 Like

Still a lot cheaper than a second PS555 for the ND555.

2 Likes

That’s what I use on my opticalModule that feeds the opticalRendu. It makes a difference.