One step forward: ER +lpsu

That’s good news … with french Baguette included best of all :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

So I’m back home now, ending the first of my 2 confinement weeks. I did replace the ultra cap with the mcru and did find it added more space, so I will leave it there.
One additional thing I brought back was a Charlin base for the speakers in a special wood (bois de bout) to replace the spikes. I had auditioned in France. It really changes the sound to more natural flowing one, and made me understand about the « disappearance » of the speakers, which I never really had perceived before. Have you tried if not worth to have a demo!

1 Like

Have not tried the Charlin base. But have already Finite elemente cerabases instead of spikes on my speakers.
Let us know what the MCRU has improved later, or if you found, or not , that it gave a great uplift.

Regarding the mcru lps, I put it in the system and immediately felt a greater wider soundstage vs ultracap, so I left it in. I describe it as incremental improvement, less than when I added the ultracap to the ER. Still worth it.
One question I have on this new mcru supply is how do you stack it up wspecially the second smaller box…is there some preferred way to place it as it is very light and doesn’t really have a stable seating…?

For me it’s stable.
If you have still the Ultracap, try to connect it back, then MCRU. To see what you have gained.
But perhaps the uplift was bigger in my system…( different mains…or other reasons)

2 Likes

Hi FR, All,
The etherRegen has been ordered and will arrive this week.

It will go in between the Cisco 2960, 8 port switch (this is needed for all the TV related network connections, so I can’t remove it), the Prestige music server and the Sonore opticalRendu streamer/renderer.

For the first few weeks, I’ll run it with the standard power supply, just to get used to the sound and to establish a new baseline.

Then I want to bring in a new linear power supply that will power both the etherRegen and the opticalRendu but which must avoid enabling any RFI loops via the power supply cables.
As we are running out of mains sockets, we need one mains plug to power both items.

The existing HDPlex200 has enough power outputs for the server, eR and oR but lacks the required level of ground loop isolation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. One option is a modified CHC DC3 with twin isolated output rails. Another is a Keces P3 power supply. Then there may be something from the Paul Hynes stable.
As we are UK based, PowerAdd Pro 2+ supercapacitor power banks are not an option as these are not available here.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Best regards, BF

When i get round to purchasing i was going to try one of the Plixir psu from Signals, they get good results on the Melco switch, available in one or two rail specification and power outputs.

1 Like

HDPLEX makes a 300 now with 4 outputs. Its been redesigned from the DH200. It might have the required isolation. Keeps the box count low for sure and pretty much the same form factor.

1 Like

It arrived this morning.
Now I need to make some space in my network cabinet.
Apparently it needs a lot of air flow to cool down…

I’ll power it with an UltraCap

3 Likes

We all look forward to your observations Thomas. Bear in mind the ER will improve a lot over the first 24 to 48 hours and then gradually a little more for up to about a couple of weeks.

1 Like

I won’t connect it to the ND555.

I’ll use it connected to my main computer for a few days and monitor its activity using the Catalyst 3560.

After 4-5 days I’ll connect it to the ND555.

I’ll use it connected to the Catalyst using the SFP port.

The ER will then be completely isolated from the the network while benefiting from the 3560 IGMP Snooping capabilities.

Cat.3560 -----(fiber)-----ER+UltraCap-----ND555

Hope it’ll have positive impact on sound.

My Cat.3560 already does a great job.

1 Like

I have just ordered a Paul Hynes SR4T power supply for my ER after reading excellent reviews. The supplied Uptone SMPS is rated at 7.5v but in the ER specs it says it can run up to 12v. What are the advantages/disadvantages of running at say 9v or 12v which my new supply will offer.

1 Like

There is also Uptone js2 , with 2 rails and 3 voltage by output.
But don’t know if there is a grand loop. However it’s silver. But very high quality ( around 1k).
MCRU can possibly make you all ps you need too.

JS2:

@MichaelF

If you chose a higher voltage the EE will draw less amps from the LPS.

At 7V the EE will draw 1,4 A and at 12V only 0.8A

So it comes down to how much your LPS is able to supply.

Also, the more you draw out of the power supply the more it tends to heat up.

Thanks Thomas so the supply I have ordered can output 2A continuous and 20A transient. So easily able to power the ER at either 7v 9v or 12v. The question is whether the different power settings have an affect on sound quality. I guess I will have to try and see if I can detect a difference, but maybe someone here has already tried with their own supply whether it is the SR4T or another make. Any observations would be very welcome. Am I also right in assuming that running at 12v and drawing less current the power supply would run cooler?

1 Like

Please post what fibre connection you will use when you have time.

I have a JS-2 on order for my ER. I think it’s due to ship in a week or so. Will report results here.

1 Like

I use a standard multimode LC - LC fiber patch cable.

1 Like

Honestly I don’t think it makes any difference.

To put things into context : the idea is to power a data switch, no more no less (not a DAC).

The ER is a fairly simple and basic switch.

The only thing it provides is some kind of isolation, it is less noisy than most switches, and has a stable clock (probably not better than the ones in the Catalyst).

What we expect from the LPS is to feed the ER with stable and noiseless current. That’s really all.

So if I had to choose between 7V or 12V I’d choose the most stable voltage.

Considering that temperature has an effect on electronic componentry, I’d draw as less amps as possible from the LPS, and therefore choose the higher voltage. But this is just theory. It very much depends on the quality of the LPS.

I’ve been using my ER connected to the my main PC since yesterday. It handled ~12 To of data flawlessly.

The ER is extremely hot! Which is not good, especially for the oscillator (the clock). This could be a problem in the mid to long term.

I’ll probably connected it to the ND555 tomorrow.

No expectations, really…

But would be pleased to have a positive surprise.

Good choice. It’s quite a piece of jewelry. I unfortunately sold mine 2 years ago, it powered my past Unitserve. I didn’t know I would have to need later a linear ps.
What will you power with it?
I see you have a Mac mini. So I guess it will be that and a switch?