One step forward: ER +lpsu

Just sterling pounds :grinning:

Yes, our British pounds are weightier than most other currencies.

1 Like

Thanks FR; ordered the silver power cables. I will report. Right now running the HDPLEX 300W lps with the stock ones. Found that the eR has a 2.1 mm plug. If you use the 2.5 mm plug, it will work, but if you touch or move the eR, it looses power, and gives an interrupt. So all those adding lpsā€™s, make sure you used the 2.1mm plug. BTW: the Nucleus+ uses the 2.5 mm plug. I have both plugged into the HD, and a nice feature, is that it has two more outputs (that are adjustableā€“the first two are fixed at 12vdc and 19vdc) for future growth, another eR, or other. The sound is definitely an uplift from the stock psā€™s, which are pretty good to start with. One thing about this ps is that it is QUIET. I plugged it in and expected to tell when it was on by the hum, but its completely quite. I had to get out my voltmeter and test. (PS has no led). The thing is heavyā€“built like a tank. The other surprising thing is that this unit does run very cool. It does not heat up like I was expecting. I have about 50 hrs of applied power with no load before install, and now 3 days since install, so its still burning in, but things are really starting to really sing.

I donā€™t know how to rate the 075 MCRU power cord. As I said it comes with the ps I bought. Hope it will please you.
The dc Oyaide cable comes too with the ps. With the right dimensions for the ER.
I had the Hdplex before, when I had tp links to power. I confirm, itā€™s very nice built.
I even wanted to buy it, the 300W one, but was not available. So I took the Farad, which didnā€™t worked for me completely.
The Uptone Lps 1.2 then. Little uplift. Was running very hot , as the ER.
Today, MCRU pinnacle. Great uplift. ( and stay cool).

Yes I must confess I got confused this time, since as in my quest of sonic perfection the sky is the limit ā€¦Having said that a cable wighting 130 pounds, would look close to an anaconda after having swallowed a goat, and it would be remarkable in any living room!

Think I recall Alex from Uptone advising against using a multi-output LPS with the ER (galvanic isolation issue?). I could be wrong on this.

I donā€™t think so, because a lot use Uptone Js2 with the ER, the JS2 has dual outputs.

Some updates ? MCRU arrived?

Have a Powerblack with bulging connector for my 160 BD. Itā€™s a good cable for sure, and not too much $.

1 Like

Yes it has arrived as expected and looks very good, indeed the power cable is impressive. Unfortunately I had to leave for 2 weeksā€™ holidays the same evening it arrived so I didnā€™t have the time to properly set it up. When I come back end of August I have 2 weeks self confinement which will allow me to do it properly. My plan is:

1. for the ER: replace the ultracap with the mcru to see what changes I notcurrent
  2. revert to the ultracap for the ER and use the mcru for my wifi router and see what changes I notice

I would be very pleasantly surprised by any improvement versus current, because of the big improvement I already experienced with the ultracap replacing the stock switch psā€¦

1 Like

So good holidays :champagne::shallow_pan_of_food::person_in_lotus_position::desert_island:

1 Like

@Michaelb has 2 ERā€™s into the same LPS. I also believe @MidnightRambler uses the ER into a multi output LPS. I guess they should know as they both use expensive Sean Jacobs power supplies so one would assume they got them built to suit the ER.

Yes I have 2 ERā€™s running from the dc4(as well as other things), I have, previously, tried running different dc3s powering them but with no benefit. I think it comes down to having a high quality ps with different power output rails for each.

Itā€™s mainly a question of whether a common earth is shared by the ER and a powered component upstream of the B side of the ER. My DC3+ has an earth toggle switch which is positioned so that one of the ERs is floating and the other earthed.

1 Like

@Michaelb My B side connects to the Melco so would that count as earthed?

This might actually be relevant for me as I want to try a second ER anyway and have Sean building a 3 output custom DC3 so I have ā€˜optionsā€™

If using a second ER then the B side of the first would connect to the A side of second and then the B side to the Melco.

I will be buying a second one anyway for the Nova in the office as removing it was quite noticeable when it went to the ND555 after burn in duties! A test will be quite easy to determine if its worth having 2 in my system.

1 Like

Since its your second eR in your system, consider just powering the one closest to the router with its stock power supply as its pretty good, and avoids the ground issue. You can always try powering it with Seanā€™s ps and see what the sq is like.

1 Like

The earthing applies to the power supplies, rather than the Ethernet cables, though floating Ethernet connection are also likely to be a better option. Most Audiophile cables do not connecting the shielding at one or sometimes both ends, so earth kl=loops, should not occur.

Ask Sean to fit a toggle switch so you have the option to earth one of the DC outputs as he did for me, then you have all the flexibility you need to see which works best. His outputs are all completely separate circuits and otherwise floating.

You also have the option of connecting the ERā€™s:
A-B->B-A as opposed to A-B->A-B

The A side is the side connected to the power supply, so the former will preserve the way the moat works, whatever happens.

Either are likely to sound better than powering just the second ER off Seanā€™s PSU: Iā€™d use it for both and try the different options outlined to see if they make any difference and which sounds best in your system.

Any news ?

Noā€¦ There is no vaccine for Corona yet

1 Like

I heard a new vaccin is produced, mainly with arrissa sausage.

1 Like