Opinion please Nait v Nait

Simple one this. For SQ Node x and Nait 50 or ND5xs2 and Nait 5si.

From your options, Iā€™d say the second option. The NAIT 50 is a superb amp but deserves a better source.

The ND5XS2 and NAIT 50 would work nicely together thoughā€¦

6 Likes

Source first.
But nait 50 is the better amp.
How about ā€œprevlovedā€ nd5xs2 and xs2?

2 Likes

interesting one. Iā€™ve not listened to a Nait 50 or 5si but the difference in front end between a Node X and ND5XS2 is significant. Iā€™d buy the source first and then pick an amp. 50 is in a different class than the 5si, so use your ears and wallet to choose. Best of luck!

2 Likes

The Nait 50/ND5 XS2 would get my vote.
I demoed a Nait 50 plus ND5 XS2 through a pair of PMC Prodigy Oneā€™s and was absolutely blown away by the SQ.
Iā€™ve been trying to justify the purchase ever since, but I have no where to put itā€¦:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

5 Likes

I have a Node 3i, ND5XS2 and Nait 50. The best SQ would be with the ND5XS2 and Nait 50 as the DAC is better in the Naim. However, a lot depends on which app you like to use. I much prefer the Naim app so I use the Naim streamers. You can of course bypass the DAC in the Node or the Naim, if you want to go that route.

4 Likes

Thanks. My budget is my restriction so Iā€™m conflicted would love the Naim streamer and Nait 50 combo but itā€™s just out of reach.

1 Like

That sound like my type of setup. Need more money thoughšŸ™

2 Likes

Source first still counts ime.
Then buy secondhand or demo items for best possible economy.

Personally Iā€™d never buy an expensive streamer as the development goes rocket speed.
Last months favorite are on sale next month.
Naim boxes takes a bit longer to be honest.
(A good turntable take decades to better)
Iā€™d expect Naim 5 series to be discontinued when 100 serie release, maybe this year.?

With a mediocre streamer at a very high price, you can get much better sources out there for less money.

1 Like

From listening my personal opinion on the most happy pairings for SQ and other reasons (do you need phono and/or headphones?) is:

• Atom
  • Nait 5si (and Nait 2) with ND5 XS2
  • Nait XS3 with ND5 XS2 > DC1 > nDAC
  • same as above plus XP5 XS
  • Nait 50 with NDX2
  • SN3 & HC DR with NDX2 & XPS DR
  • same as above but NAP282 & NAP200 DR
  • same as two above but plus DC1 & nDAC
  • Atom HE with NAP200/250 or active
  • NC series NSC222 & NAP250
  • same as above plus NPX300

So I would vote for your second option and forget the Node. Used or ex-dem it should fit your budget perfectly.

Then again, other members often have different ears than me so YMMV. Good luck!

1 Like

your budget is c3,800 EUR? You could do a lot with that if youā€™re willing to go S/H and make some compromises

Also, is this a second system? (i.e. are you keeping your Atom HE)

2 Likes

The HE has gone unfortunatelyšŸ™

Thatā€™s for the comprehensive reply

1 Like

Ā£4000 and itā€™s creeping upšŸ˜€

@Akh666 A lot depends on how serious you are regarding streaming. The general wisdom is the Dac in the The BS node is not that great. A lot also depends on how soon you want to get to your preferred system. Over the years I have come to regret stop gap solutions. I would encourage dealer demo or used from a dealer with a warranty.

3 Likes

Youā€™re welcome, it possibly pre-empted some follow-up questions in the process. Btw donā€™t forget to budget for Naim NACA5 speaker cable also.

1 Like

Iā€™m very serious about streaming with a TT in the near future too.

I would go used XS3 and used ND5XS (1st Gen) with Tidal then

1 Like

@Maury_Finkle the first generation streamer may limit choice of streaming platforms. Also the streaming board on the current version is thought to be much better.

1 Like

yes, we know that. these are the tradeoffs you make when on a budget

1 Like