Optimal SQ config for Innuos Zenith/Statement with ND555 and Roon (or not)

Pleased to report that although I couldn’t for some reason play WAV files using the LMS workaround for Ethernet connection on the demo Statement it’s working fine on my new one :grinning:

It’s also been working faultlessly for the past couple of days after having very much of an off-day with some Tchaikovsky :flushed:

Gone and jinxed it, it’s just skipped the end of a track! :flushed: :scream:

This isn’t necessarily a problem with the LMS workaround, skipping to the end of a track or to the next track, has been identified as a general problem for some users, including myself.

Ah! Thank you! That’s good and bad news… I’ve been holding off on switching to Roon. How frequently have you been experiencing it?

Not too often, it happened once today when I was listening, there is a problem with the app dropping when minimised, not sure if this is contributing. I just mentioned it because it may not be what you originally thought.
It’s not enough of a problem to necessitate a switch to Roon for me.

1 Like

On Monday, I got the Ethernet workaround tweaked by Innuos and it has been completely stable since then: no dropouts, no skipping to track end and no unresponsive app behaviour. Moreover, that’s without any mollycoddling: I can start a track and then another in the middle, stop and pause using the Naim remote and so on. The only problem is when I pause for a long time using the remote, which causes Sense to start playing from the next track when I hit play - and that is using Sense, the Naim remote has not effect at this point. I therefore suspect that after a long pause the ND555 thinks the input device is off and maybe dumps its cache, but it’s been the only problem. And maybe even this will prove tweakable…

So the Statement + PN have been working pretty much bug-free doing all the new InnuOS 2 caching etc. for an Ethernet-connected Naim streamer. I just wanted to wait a few days before reporting it here. And the SQ continues not just to be amazing, but to constantly astonish. I get a real buzz putting on old favourites and waiting to hear how they’ve been transformed, irrespective of format and resolution.

How’s it going with your Statement repair Peter @northpole? Hopefully not too long to wait. Definitely ask Innuos support to implement this when you get back: you’ll be delighted.

3 Likes

Hi Michaelb

Thanks for the reminder! I’ve been a bit pre-occupied with all sorts of tasks recently and had set aside thoughts about the statement. Unfortunately I haven’t heard a squeak from Innuos since DHL collected the box on 28 Sept. Now that you have reminded me, I’ll ask them how they are getting on.

Peter

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Any news on when Innuos will release the fully supported FW for Ethernet connected Naim streamers and Sense? I realise the workaround is now more stable but I assume Innuos are still working on an Ethernet connected Naim streamer implementation.

Still waiting for my UnitServe to go kaput, you see.

I haven’t asked them, I’m afraid, Nigel. I know it is on their list, but am sure they can’t commit to a timeframe as yet. The current work is focused on full Tidal integration.

All I can say is I don’t regret having gone for it immediately.

If I were you, I’d back up the Uniti and look for a hammer… :flushed: :scream:

1 Like

Cheers Michael.

UnitiServe is backed up and still serving up lovely tunes, but need a plan for the day its tired processor and hard drive can’t take any more.

1 Like

I heard back from Innuos earlier today. They have checked over my statement and concluded that the SSD (solid state drive) had failed. They have also replaced one of the cables which connects the two boxes. Very surprised to hear that the hard drive has failed and baffled what might have caused this to happen. I have three samsung portable SSDs 1tb-2tb - they have been abused for several years and never hinted at failing.

What is particularly gut wrenching is that I was nearing the completion of burning all of my CDs onto the statement. It was only when I had completed the exercise that I was going to create a back up on my NAS drives. But I didn’t get that far. All those hours down the proverbial plug hole. So a lesson for us all who haven’t done so - please make sure that you have a back up of all music files wheresoever you may have them stored at present. An SSD failure was just not on my radar!!

Should have the statement back by the end of this week. In stark contrast, I also received today my long awaited mobile fidelity Eagles albums (Eagles and Desperado) - not the best of albums ever created but boy does the simplicity of plopping a bit of vinyl on the record player without having to concern myself about networks, switches, SSDs appeal in a major way!!

Peter

3 Likes

I feel your pain. When I ripped 1700 earlier this year I made a point of backing up every 50 or so or each time the capacity reduced by 1%.

SSDs can of course fail for a wide variety of reasons. Interestingly one of the reasons lots of sites list is… a firmware upgrade.

1 Like

Oh crikey! I do feel for you there. Ripping all my CDs is not something I’d ever like to do again. In fact the experience was so enjoyed I have a backup at home which is itself backed up to Backburner. It hasn’t been necessary so far, but I definitely sleep easier. I wonder, though, if the SSD failure was related to the umbilical problem.

Anyway, hopefully you can start enjoying it now with the Innuos Sense improvements to usability and sound quality. And a pretty quick turnaround, wasn’t it? They’re a very good company to deal with in my experience. With any luck it will be back with you in a couple of days…

Sorry to hear that very disappointing. I have a vague nemory that @Richard.Dane mentioned that when ssd fail it is normally catastrophic and data not recoverable, whereas a hdd can often have at least some data recovered. Obviously Innuos couldn’t recover data, a great shame.

Yup, well remembered Gazza. I had a 1TB Crucial SSD and it failed after about a year or so - dead as a doornail. No amount of efforts to recover it managed to work. Oddly enough it’s my first major hard drive failure.

1 Like

When SSD’s fail it’s normally catastrophically with no warning and nothing can be read unlike a hard drive which can whirr and clank but often be readable in parts allowing some recovery before replacement.

I had a number of OCZ drives fail under warranty, this was in the earlier days of SSD’s, the computer would just lock up and a reboot wiuld reveal the dreaded ‘No Boot Drive’ message.

Thanks for the messages folks. Just to clarify I’m frustrated with my clonky self for leaving the back up process until ripping CDs was completed - that was the flaw in my rubbish ‘strategy’!

Indeed a neighbour who lives for IT pointed out to me a few months ago that contrary to popular misconception, SSD’s are considered to have a relatively short working life and we should always back up, irrespective of the primary storage media. Oh if only I’d put into action that salient advice!!

Given what has happened, Innuos have really turned this around very quickly with great communications, so no complaint from me on that front.

Peter

1 Like

Indeed, whilst typing the above note I received another email from Simone at Innuos confirming that I should have my statement delivered today - hopefully a kindly neighbour will sign for it as I can’t be there. CD’s - prepare yourselves!!

Peter

1 Like

Great news! And hopefully you have Qobuz or Tidal to er… tide you over, too…

1 Like

And you may even find that the rips via the Statement are better (unless, that is, they already were).