Paris 2024

Interesting thought for an Olympic sport! We take a set when travelling in campervan, virtually everywhere in France having somewhere to play, but I’ve never seen a circle to stand in, just a line to stand behind. (Is circle size matched to shoe size?)

I play pétanque on Tuesday mornings. We don’t have a circle but make a semicircle against the edge of the court. A line doesn’t work, as it means you can move left and right in order to get your boule around blockers. It’s a great game to play, and really sociable.

Yes the circle appears in the picture but I don’t know if it’s official or not.

Yes, what do you think @frenchrooster will the Olympics in Paris be as impressive as the one in the UK? The opening with James Bond and the Queen was among the best and funniest I’ve seen, and the music was fantastic, it’s not every day you get to see The Who. Best opening ever I would say, won’t be easy to top.

It is we enjoyed a lot as well. We you to play on grass and most bowled rather than throw.

I find it a bit amusing considering you’re a big fan of football where cheating is conditioned into players as kids and apparently tolerated by most.

1 Like

It’s an interesting point.

Cheating can take many forms. For some reason, some gets called “gamesmanship” and may (not always) be allowed. Others are frowned upon /banned - even if having a similar impact to gamesmanship.

I think the only consistency is that you are not a cheat until you get caught !

That’s true of most crimes :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I have no idea. Maybe David Guetta, Daft Punk….nothing in my musical tastes. It’s not decided yet.

1 Like

Okay :+1: It will probably be good and impressive either way, France has a lot to show when it comes to music and culture.

1 Like

Lines whenI’ve played have been drawn with toe, maybe around 18" long- and come to think about it actually more of an arc.

All I can say is that will be a big mess in my area, crowded, noisy, with restricted streets, closed areas….
In Versailles parc, when I like to walk, there will be equestrian events.

2 Likes

That’s what we do - an arc drawn with your foot. Tall people draw larger arcs.

Bonne fête Paris,

Okay! Then I understand that you will be satisfied when it’s all over then.

Super sport. In Belgium, the board of the official petanque league (like football different divisions and classes) banned all use of alcohol during the games. Mass protest, a good beer seems the ultimate “dope” to achieve the best results.

Full info about the openings ceremony to read
on the offical website of the olympics (googleis your guide).

Yes, but I will follow some events on tv. Occasionally.

1 Like

It’s the saturation that kills you. I can’t say we’re telly addicts but sometimes you just want to poke the TV on and have a browse and see if anything takes your interest.

Wall to wall coverage across at least the three prime UK channels, highlights packages, press stories in print and on their e-editions and numerous back stories (because let’s face it, you’re only as good as the strength of how you’ve overcome your past adversities in this meeja saturated world) just becomes horrendous.

Of course one doesn’t have to watch or read, however, given it’s barely stopped raining here since September, I suspect we will be looking for some indoor evening entertainment during a fair bit of the coming summer.

And Marseille, Lille, Bordeaux, Nantes, Nice, Lyon, Versailles, etc. ; they’re all over the place, including Tahiti…

1 Like