Paris 2024

The omnium has to be the maddest TV spectacle of the lot. I think I have a basic idea of what is going on. But if you look away and then come back to the screen at any point it just looks like mayhem again.

4 Likes

Arrived in Gullane yesterday to this scene. Just saw the final from Marseille. Spectacular stuff.

G

4 Likes

You are apparently stuck with the pole…:sunglasses:

Been watching the field hockey (now Spain v India), and the decorum on the pitch is something else when compared to football. Umpires rule, and the teams just get on with it – and have limited challenges if they feel aggrieved. Plus, the ump’s can review their own decisions, and the reviews take seconds, not minutes.

1 Like

French just won against Deutsch, in basketball .:fire::partying_face:

1 Like

I think you should be very proud of your cyclist in the omnium :fr:

1 Like

Yes, I saw that, but not followed.
The only question remains: who will finish at the third place, GB or FR?

The Polish woman Adrianna Sułek finished second at the 200 m.
Impressive as she gave birth 6 months ago.

1 Like

I think home advantage will have an impact. Mind you Australia are still in the mix :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Tebogo in the 200m was awesome. I love it when this stuff happens. Gold medal for him and Botswana. :clap:

3 Likes

Tebogo was fantastic. Lyles playing the Covid card, because he lost. Idiot.

McLaughlin-Levrone, surely the best performance in the Olympics yet.

1 Like

Irritating BBC coverage. Action going on in the stadium but no coverage as talking heads in studio drone on and on stating the obvious. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Getting really fed up with the UK media coverage of the Olympics. If you are 2nd you win a silver medal - you don’t “lose a gold”!
As for the post event interviews, the questioning is often nothing short of cruel. Do the BBC presenters get a bonus if they make an athelete cry on camera? Some have been sickeningly insensitive and intrusive.

6 Likes

However, the end of the GER v NED match was not edifying.

I think it’s a minor thing blown up by those in need for some media excitement.

Yes !! Anytime when someone sticks it to the Yanks for a gold medal is aways worth celebrating !

1 Like

Interesting article/ science.
What does science tell us about boxing’s gender row? - BBC News

1 Like

Lyles wheelchair exit looked ridiculous in my view. Covid may have stopped his ultimate performance but he managed to run a very fast time before his ‘collapse’. Lost him a lot of respect I think. Questionable that he competed knowing he was positive too, not least because strenous exercise with Covid (or indeed any viral infection) can be dangerous.

On the flip side (and far more importantly) what an amazing WR by Mclaughlin-Levrone. Reminded me of David Rudisha bounding away in the London 2012 800m . Just astonishing.

I wish people would give the BBC a break. They are not allowed to show continuous feeds of all the action due to the IOC selling the sporting rights to Discovery Channel. The Beeb is feeding on scraps. Yes, it irritates me at times but be thankful for what we can still watch for our subscription fee. I don’t expect it will last much longer.

The post event interviews are dreadful though, a trend that seems to have leaked from tennis. Please stop them now. I just wish someone would answer truthfully with a suitably expletive laden reply after ‘missing’ a medal. That might be more authentic.

Bruce

6 Likes

Agree - not great, but it was quickly defused. The standard of that game, including the umpiring, was amazing. They say the top players can make a game seem simple to the eyes, and there was much to admire.

1 Like