Paul Messenger

Sad news Paul Messenger sadly left us. Julian introduced me to Paul in the early eighties and I spent many a day listening and talking about audio and Music with him.

He was super intelligent he always saw the whole picture and given his previous manufacturing experience he fully understood the art of making things.

Julian spent quality with Paul and Pam his partner and I am sure he viewed him as a very close friend. I am sure he a respected Paul’s work and even more enjoyed having fun with him during the many weekends they spent together with their partners.

Paul was known to many people at Naim and his visits were always special, he loved his Naim active system and the music it produced. Paul’s long career as one of the most important respected audio journalists will not be forgotten. R.I.P.

37 Likes

That’s very sad news - Always interesting and informative reviews and articles, especially with his interest in unusual speakers (Rehdeko !).

RIP Paul.

3 Likes

Oh dear……a great audio writer and reviewer. I did not know he had a personal friendship with Julian and family.
Hope he has found audio nirvana r.i.p

4 Likes

A legend.

3 Likes

RIP Paul

There only seems to be sad news these days :frowning:

3 Likes

RIP Paul.

1 Like

Oh no, that is very sad news. A really great and lovely man. I really enjoyed talking to him at shows and reading his articles and reviews. A huge Naim fan and he had an LP12 for which I supplied a Chris Harban plinth and fitted it for him probably 10 years ago. Previously, the late, great Derek Jenkins had looked after him and his LP12 as Paul lived in the South East on the coast.
All I can remember from the visit was his listening room filled with stuff for review and having a ride in his Jag down to the pub at lunch time. He was a big Jag man, and a huge presence in the UK Hi-Fi scene, literally! He will be very sadly missed. RIP.

16 Likes

I am so sad to hear this news. I have read his words over many years and even though I did not know him, I greatly appreciated his views. RIP.

1 Like

I think it is the demographic …

1 Like

Sad day

Just read that the reviewer Paul Messenger has passed away. Always enjoyed his writing and reviews back in the day in the old Hi Fi Choice magazine.

2 Likes

Great reviewer. My dealer said he trusted a Paul Messenger review more than any other.

1 Like

That’s incredibly sad news, a great writer - one of the true legends in hi-fi and a passionate enthusiast for superb music and sound.

He will be dearly missed by so many.

RIP Paul, JonathanG

1 Like

He was a great reviewer and a lost to the Hifi World.

I’ve met Paul many times over the years and even been to his house for dinner. I did comment on the fact thst he’d knocked holes in a wall to put some drive units but that was Paul. A great reviewer and an even greater person. A real character in the hifi world. He will be sorely missed.

4 Likes

Very sad news. I first came across PM many, many years back, when I wrote a letter to one of the magazines and it was Paul who replied. I think the last time I saw him was at one of the shows some years back now - Doug and I had drinks with him and Malcolm Steward (another very sad loss) which kept us out a bit too late for being bright eyed and bushy tailed the next morning! A sad loss to the world of hifi. RIP Paul.

14 Likes

This is sad news, didn’t know Paul personally, but like many others felt you knew him from his reviews and writing. R.I.P.

1 Like

Very sorry to read this, I met him a few times, we had a common love of speakers and similar tastes. A very interesting guy to chat to.

3 Likes

Always enjoyed reading his reviews back in the eighties. RIP Paul

1 Like

Although the news was expected I’m very sad to see Paul go.

A convivial chap - he flattered my brief identification as ‘reviewer’ by recognising me whenever we met.

6 Likes