Paul Weller

In light of the JJ Cale thread I thought I’d start one for my favourite artist Paul Weller please feel free to post your favourite PW records from The Jam, The Style Council and as a solo artist and to share your thoughts good or bad.

I’m going to start with something very up to date recorded at his own Black Barn Studio for Later with Jools Holland from his brand new record Fat Pop Vol 1, Glad Times.

44 years after the release of his first record with The Jam and still writing such wonderful music.

7 Likes

Also from Fat Pop Vol 1, Cosmic Fringes.

I watched it last night and thought it was great. The only downer was that I think of PW as eternally youthful and for the first time last night he looked well…old

1 Like

Yes he has aged quite quickly physically but still has huge energy and a real love of music and the creative process that doesn’t seem to diminish.

I quite like his oldness. He wears it well. Musically and sartorially.

A couple of years ago my brother and I went to see an Al Stewart show, and having not really seen any pics of him more recent than the one on the Year Of The Cat (1976/77?) sleeve, were er, “surprised” by his appearance. Then quickly calculated he is well into his seventies, and so felt a bit foolish for expecting him to be preserved as he was four or so decades ago. Sounded good, though.

Back to PW.

I’m loving The Style Council period at the moment, prompted by last years excellent comp. I also really like On Sunset.

Looking forward to the new one. The song on Jools last night was carried by his age-weathered and wonderful voice. Up there with Dylan’s! For me.

1 Like

I have seen him so many times live and he is always brilliant. One of my favourites was a few years back when he did a series of concerts in forests. I saw him at Bedgebury in Kent and half way through he announced that a local singer was going to join him - on walked Roger Daltry for the next 3 songs

1 Like

His performance of Sunflower on Jools Holland was just awesome.

Steve White - Drums
Yolanda Charles - Bass
Helen Turner - Keys

Wildwood - what an album

5 Likes

My absolute fave PW album

3 Likes

Me too although not so much over the past ten years my Brother and I went to a concert at the Brighton Centre a couple of years back in between A Kind Revolution and True Meanings.

Over the years we’ve been to some great Weller gigs, myself, my Brother, Brother-In-Law and my Uncle would go together there was a period from 91-97 when live he was on fire Live Wood is my favourite live record by any artist.

Last saw him 2 years ago at Greenwich Mean Time festival and even though it was a bit of a ‘corporate’ setting he was still good. My absolute favourite though was at Brixton Academy and the crowd were loving it and didn’t jabber all the way through it. When he played ‘A town called malice’ it absolutely kicked off ( in a nice way)

1 Like

Foot of The Mountain Live at Glastonbury '94 the best concert I’ve ever been to bar none.

Audio isn’t great unfortunately

I saw the Jam in the 80s on what I suspect was their last tour. Had a group of friends who went to gigs together and took turns and tries picking who we saw. The rule was you went even if you didn’t know or like them. So I turned up in denim with Rush badges on the back with hair so long I could sit on it. The only song I liked at the time was Start! Wasn’t hugely impressed at the time but count myself lucky now to have seen them

1 Like

From Confessions of a Pop Group, A Very Deep Sea.

1 Like

Changing of the Guard another one from the hugely underrated Confessions of a Pop Group

1 Like

One before bed an acoustic version of Moon On Your Pyjamas from Wild Wood

2 Likes

A very young, 19 year old Paul Weller Non Stop Dancing from In The City 1977.

1 Like

Paul singing Wings of Speed on Jools Holland, Carleen’s vocal on this track is just beautiful.

I always wondered if anyone actually came across this ‘secret’ concert at the South Bank. Imagine walking home on your usual route and coming across PW and band.

2 Likes

Reasonable recordings of The Jam live are as rare as hen’s teeth but this nearly 40 year old film from the Bingley Hall though famous amongst fan’s of the band might not be known to the casual listener and does get across the excitement the used to generate.

1 Like

I think he is only in his early 60s so plenty of time to reform the Jam :thinking: