Paul Weller

Can’t see it though I think the bridge between him and Rick had been well and truly burned though Bruce has played on some recent stuff.

It was a moment in time and should stay there I think.

4 Likes

Yes, I wholly agree.

Classic gig.

Yes agree, don’t go there, it would be awful.

Not his greatest moment - and I’m a huge Fan

You are of course right, but I recall being quite upset about it at the time, as only teenagers can be!

It’s funny as fans the tracks we dislike for me it’s You Do something To Me and Broken Stones just can’t stand them.

I think there is no chance of this. He is a heart on the sleeve type of guy and would regard it as a backward step & turn him/the Jam into discredit. I think he is right - the Jam belongs to my youth.
Not sure we need another reformed band - let’s get behind current acts esp as the rewards in music are not what they were.

I loved the Jam and saw them three times at Poole Arts Centre, once in Shepton Mallet and in London once. Every set was top dog except the last when when they were pretty good but looked a bit tired/jaded - they were breaking up. They were pretty special live.
I think he showed a lot of resilience over his career since the Jam as he was not always in favour. I generally liked his stuff post the Jam and am really enjoying his new stuff now (really liked On Sunset).
I saw the Style council a couple of times and enjoyed him starting his set ahead of the support band on one occasion and seeing all the peeps in the bar rush in and then him switching to the support act. Sandwiching them with the Style Council - obviously not always easy going guy.
Also remember him ripping into someone hassling another member of the audience in Poole (mod - biker thing). Proper put him in his place!
I caught the South Bank performance too, purely by chance. I happened to be walking by - serendipity.

2 Likes

From 22 Dreams - Invisible.

1 Like

First released on Modernism a New Decade and then on the B-Side of Into Tomorrow Paul’s only release as The Paul Weller Movement.

1 Like

A cover of Bob Dylan’s I Shall Be Released the B-Side of Ltd Edition reissue of
Out Of The Sinking (1995)

1 Like

The Jam - Wasteland, Setting Sons (1979)

1 Like

Cold damp morning, circa time of album release, our English and Drama teacher started the lesson with this song. He sported very mod clothing and hair, and would often take any seemingly random or unconnected moment in our curriculum to (Red) wedge in a mention of Weller, his art, his politics, and the direct poetry of his songs.

I was fourteen and highly impressed.

1 Like

A nice acoustic version of Glad Times from his new record streamed live.

From Live Wood

Always loved this video.

Stone Foundation ft Paul Weller

Exceptional vocal performance and a beautiful record.
When I listen to tracks like this I’m really at a loss as to how this guy is not up there in public opinion with the likes of Mcartney. It’s only really David Bowie who IMO can compare when you think of consistently good NEW music over 4 decades or more.

3 Likes

I’ve always been a fan of Paul as he was to me a natural progression from the likes of the Kinks, Who and Small Faces. I’ve not been as keen on some of his later offerings as they don’t, to me, possess the cutting edge of his earlier songs. Maybe it’s because I liked The Jam so much.
My personal favourite for longevity and quality is Bruce Springsteen.

1 Like

The Jam - Fly from All Mod Cons

3 Likes