Phono power problem?

It’s normal for vinyl to sound quieter than other sources, but if you are saying that you need to turn up the volume 3/4 of the way from minimum to maximum, that sounds like a lot to me. Are you sure that the Stageline N is a good match for your cartridge?
Not that this is necessarily a problem as long as you are happy with the sound quality, but it’s always good to get cartridge/phono stage matching right.

1 Like

A silly question but it is an MM cartridge you are using with the Stageline N?

My Stageline N is noticeably quieter than the streamer input but I never have to take it past 11 o’clock on the volume dial to get it loud (with an AT MM cart).

In theory it’s the right pre-amp, it corresponds to a moving magnet cell…

1 Like

MM cartdrige

1 Like

OK, there’s a problem… My phono is a Rega Planar 3 with a Elys 2 cartdrige…

The Rega Planar 3 is a turntable, not a phono preamp. The preamp is your Stageline, and the Elys 2 is indeed a Moving Magnet. That should be an okay combination. As everyone has said, your phono will be quieter than other sources, although my similar configuration needs to be at 10 o’clock vs 8 o’clock to get a similar volume. There is another thread at Stageline N - compatibility with Rega Elys 2

OK, thanks.

Sorry for the translation, but I’m French.

There’s too big a difference for me: I imagine it depends on the amplifiers. I turn the volume up by about 25% more to get the same sound. If it’s normal, OK, otherwise where could it be coming from?

I’ll have a look at the thread dedicated to the Elys 2 cell. Having said that, I’m going to switch to Rega Exact, so maybe everything will be resolved…

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

I don not think this will help at all with your Volume problem. AFAIK, both the Rega Elys 2 and Rega Exact are MM cartridges, with similar output levels… :thinking:

Most phono stages output between 0.5 and 1.5v wheras a digital source is in the 2.0 to 2.7v range. That’s unlikely to change much.

That’s another reason why amplifiers have a volume knob.

I have a MM cart that actually only has the same output as high output MC. Yet with a Naim phono stage the difference is acceptable. 8 O’clock on the volume for digital source translates to about 9:30 - 10 O’clock for vinyl.

1 Like

This is all interesting because I have a LOMC with a Naim Superline, as well as a NDX2. The volume output is pretty much exactly the same for both, and I don’t have to adjust the volume switching sources. Is MM with a Stageline really that different? Just curious.

1 Like

There’s about 4db gain difference. Superline is 64db wheras the StageLine is 60db. Not a massive difference. And my MM cart has about half the output of most MM carts so 8 O’clock on the NDX versus 10 Ok’clock on the vinyl seems fine to me.

I don’t see what the problem is to be honest. Even two digital spurces might vary by as much as 1v between them.

Thank you all for your feedback. To conclude, the difference is normal, although depending on the equipment it may be zero. On average, the difference is around +20%. I’ll try to take Db measurements when I get the Rega Exact cartdrige and I’ll come back here for the results.
Have a nice Sunday,
Frédéric

1 Like

I have a High Output MC (DV 10X) into Naim 523 E boards, in my 82. This ‘fixes’ the problem.

1 Like

@Frederic - your NAIT 5 has an input trim control. You should be able to adjust this so that all sources play at comparable levels. Either trim the Stageline input up, or the CD5 input down.

Oh great Andy, I’m going to look into this setting.

1 Like

From the manual:

To program the volume control for each input first set the volume control to a comfortable listening level with the loudest source (probably CD). Enter program mode by pressing and holding the prog key until the amplifier volume control indicator flashes. Select the input to be adjusted using the handset and use the vol up and down keys to set the volume to a comfortable listening level. The amplifier volume control will not rotate during this operation. Select a further input to adjust. To exit program mode press and hold the prog key until the volume control indicator stops flashing, or operate any control on the amplifier.

If you look at the Rega web pages for the cartridges, the output for each of them is specified as 6.8-7.2 mv, so I would not expect any difference in output. The Exact should be a nice upgrade though.

2 Likes

Its a very useful feature.Shame other naim amps don’t have it

Good evening,
As planned, I took decibel measurements between my CD input and my Phono input (Stageline N connected to a Rega planar 3 turntable). When listening to the same song (Springsteen, I’m on Fire), the difference is -16%. In fact, when I listen to a CD with the volume set to 12 o’clock, I have to put the volume at a little less than 14 o’clock to have equivalent sound power.
Just for information, I was not able to increase the power of the Phono, even if a priori it can be done. The Nait 5 instructions indicate that this can indeed be done, but the paragraph devoted to this question speaks of “amps” without specifying those affected by this setting… There, I don’t know.
Finally, I received my Rega Exact cartridge and I mounted it on my Turntable. It’s just magical, the sound is precise, full and very musical. Even the scratches disappear. I am delighted ! I have never been more fulfilled than since I chose NAIM :wink:
Yours sincerely,
Frédéric

It can. I’ve done it. But note this applies only to the NAIT5, not earlier NAITs, nor later 5i, 5si, XS, et al…

I was a bit sad that the XS2 I also use has neither balance nor input trim but, hey, on the bright side at least the alps pot remains balanced at low volume!

1 Like