Pics ‘From the Listening Position’

You are certainly a fan of ATC speakers. The 100s look awesome. Tell us more about how it all sounds please.

1 Like

I’m also wondering how you’re getting on with Beevor’s “Russia”? I love his writing… that one though is so complex!

1 Like

Wow - this is a massive speaker… please tell us how it sounds … atc … never heared it. Must do some day

1 Like

Looks like we are all interested. With 350 watts per channel active they must be spectacular!

I’ve never been one for ‘describing’ sound quality, I find it difficult but suffice it to say the sense of scale and power is awesome.

Moreover, as I previously had NBLs active driven by 3 250DRs and prior to that active SBLs, I was keen to retain the active sound. To be honest, I would have kept the NBLs but they were a risk given the inability to source replacement parts case of need. I had heard 500 driven Passive speakers previously and preferred the active sound but not with the sub station look of 2 or 3 500s.

At the end of the day therefore the choice was between active Kudos 808s (but see sub station comments above)and the ATCs. At the time it was difficult to arrange a demo of active Kudos and given that I was very satisfied with the ATCs sound wise, I was keen to reduce box count and the cost was very acceptable with trade in then I decided on the ATC route which I have not regretted.

The one potential issue was the size of the listening room, particularly so when I need to have them firing across the room (don’t ask) but this has not proved to be a problem although I don’t think I would take the volume much past 10 on the clock. If in the future I can have them firing down the room I will certainly try that.

7 Likes

Suffice it to say that I am taking my time!

I don’t think it’s the watts per channel per se but more the fact that every drive unit has it’s own tuned amplification and thus without the need for a complex crossover. ATCs are an outstanding studio developed loudspeaker and moreover compare favourably price wise with more exotic brands.

I think it’s only fair to say to illustrate my preferences that I have never heard a B&W speaker that I could anything like live with and don’t even start me on Focal. I have always enjoyed Kudos when I have heard them so that may give you a comparison start. That is personal preference however.

4 Likes

That makes so much sense, and the perfect answer! :joy:

Just giving the Nova/Audiovectors a workout with Ayreon’s Into the Electric Castle!! Isn’t retirement wonderful!!

Avec slippers in shot of course!

22 Likes

And now Nova and Audiovectors trying Celebration Day!! Retirement just keeps rocking!

23 Likes

To have compared ATC 19A and Focal 1028be with 250dr and 272/XPSDR we were several to prefer the 1028… Sound with more beautiful tones and more Prat, Focal makes excellent studio speakers, read the reviews of Trio6 or 11.

1 Like

From my armchair in my small living room!

31 Likes

@Nickd …YES…retired 7 years ago. Still haven’t managed to listen to all my albums.

5 Likes

Camlan, this view needs to go in the “Show us your ATC” thread as well!

Enjoy!!

It is already there but you need to go back to September 22.

1 Like

At my dealer, right now :innocent:

38 Likes

How are those speakers with Naim you think?

In an OC system they could become a little stressful at the top sometimes, but it is not noticeable at all in NC. Neat’s best speaker Imo.

3 Likes

Good music choice.

2 Likes