Pink Floyd "Animals" 2018 Remix - out September & October

A poly-lined inner sleeve for the vinyl would have been nice, especially given the package’s attention to detail elsewhere.

Yes agree! I had a spare, luckily…

1 Like

Just listened to the vinyl. Really different from the original and previous reissues. I really like it. What stands out is that the sound stage sounds almost like a 5.1 mix. The dogs and sheep particularly coming from behind me.

3 Likes

Simply stunning

8 Likes

Good description.

Hello. Brand new to the forum and social media so please forgive any gaffes. My vinyl and cd copy have just arrived and looking forward to giving them my undivided attention tonight. I remember buying the vinyl version from Woolworths, Pwllheli on a wet, winters Saturday in the late 70’s, taking it home, and then being horrified at how bleak it was. I never listened to it again until about 10 years ago, at which point it became one of my favourite Floyd albums.

8 Likes

Music and memories - good and bad - that’s what it is all about.

2 Likes

Guthrie completed the mix in 2018 (after working on it for a year), then it got stuck. Nick Mason said Covid was partly to blame, and also Rog and Dave squabbling over something or other. Things move very slowly in Floyd-land, especially as doing anything with anything recorded pre-1987 needs the unanimous assent of Waters, Mason and Gilmour and Rick Wright’s children (who represent his estate). Any one of those four entities can veto any activity.

In Floydian terms, a four-year delay is but the blink of an eye.

3 Likes

Back in the late '80s and early '90s, at the height of the Floyd wars, Roger apparently ordered 200 rolls of toilet paper with Dave’s picture on them. I wonder if that was true.

Some years later, someone put online a rather amusing blog called “The Secret Diary of Roger Waters”. I particlarly like this entry:

Sunday
Drove by Dave’s house at 3.00 in the morning playing the Final Cut really loud - Dave came out
and threw a guitar at me. Said it was the best thing he’d done with a guitar since The Wall. Drove off really quick after he threatened not to sing any more songs I had the rights to.

Couldn’t sleep, decided to make a list of things that keep me awake at night -
1.Thinking about the war.
2.Thinking about my father/mother/the war.
3.Going round Dave’s house at 3:00AM and singing "and when the band you’re in starts
playing different tunes" at the top of my voice.
4.Being repeatedly beaten over the head with a rubber chicken.
5.Thinking about market forces and the soap opera state.
6.Going round Dave’s at 4:00AM, running thru his garden and singing "the lunatic is on the
grass" at the top of my voice.
7.Thinking some more about the war.
8.Wondering just what I’m going to do to Dave if he comes round and starts any of that rubber chicken schitt tonight.
9.Lying awake writing lists.

Fell asleep before I could do number 10.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.roger-waters/c/nsOindJxhXo?pli=1

15 Likes

Thank you and, yes, that all makes perfect sense, now that I have attuned myself to the world according to Floyd.

On reflection, I may just buy the LP, and give it a (last) chance. Is there just a single LP, or are there multiple versions?

Thanks again.

2 Likes

You can buy a single LP, a CD, a Blu-ray or an Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions SACD. There’s a super-deluxe LP/CD/DVD/Blu-ray/book set coming next month.

Mazzy’s take:

1 Like

A shout for the digital copy, I purchased a 196/24 WAV file from HD Tracks and it’s brilliant. Possibly one the better files I’ve bought and as good (if not better) as the hi res remix of Abbey Road. Took about 5 minutes to download no pops, damaged packaging (the lack of is definitely a minus) and no delay. I’m yet to do a side by side against the original cd but I don’t really feel it’s necessary.

3 Likes

Very perceptive from Mazzy - I agree with much of this.

Including his comments on the bargain price. I think I paid £21 for this - remarkable for a new remastered LP.

1 Like

Listening to the Qobuz cloud version now. It sounds pretty good, different. I have a local digital file of the previously released hi res Qobuz version and will do some comparisons at some point. I haven’t listened to Animals in ages so nothing specific is jumping out at me. So what does “remix” mean? Are they adding source material or just rearranging existing content? I assume this is different than a remaster.

It is. James Guthrie went back to the original 24-track multitracks and completely remixed them, emphasising some elements and de-emphasising others. AFAIK, nothing was added.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

Wow. The low frequency bass in this track is amazing. Listening at a pretty good clip I heard what I thought was a big truck or some heavy equipment pulling up in the drive only to realize it was coming from the song. It’s rippling through the house, quite visual.

3 Likes

I know this album very well, one of my favourites.

Listening to the remix today was like a significant equipment upgrade - more clarity and separation, clearer imaging etc.

3 Likes

Do you need a VPN for this? I seem to recall that I couldn’t buy anything from them, so have been using Qobuz.

Yes you do, I purchase it then disconnect the VNP and download it. Find it much slower to download when the VNP is still active. It’s only a few artists that we can’t legally buy and Pink Floyd’s stuff is one of them unfortunately. Why it’s not available for us poor chaps in the colonies is a mystery and forces me to cheat the system, good thing I have convict heritage, bloody record companies.

PS I use a motel we stayed in LA as my account address details. :grin:

5 Likes