Pink Floyd sells rights

According to Variety magazine Pink Floyd have sold the rights to their music and images to Sony Music for $400 million.

Somehow I think this will do wonders for the pension funds

Syd Barrett and Richard Wright’s estates will also benefit

Just off to play Money from DSOTM

6 Likes

Seems rather low offer, compared to other bands.

3 Likes

That’s because everyone was bored of the music thirty years ago.

11 Likes

Oh the irony

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly when I read the interview in the Guardian.

And we suckers, back in the day, thought they were counterculture.

1 Like

I don’t agree with that sentiment. If anything, I’d say DG is very humble and clearly understands how much harder the industry is now. There is nothing wrong in being successful in life, he has brought great joy to a huge number of people through his music and supports many charities, so I believe he is a very good role model of being humble in success.

14 Likes

It’s easy to come across as humble when you have millions in the bank. Living off the proceeds of records from 50 years ago, endlessly rereleased to extract money from the gullible.

2 Likes

Though of course people are free to choose whether to buy any particular music, and I’d hope most here would want musicians to have the opportunity to be successful.

Heck, think of the tax they generate for all your free stuff from the government. Or are we going to be resentful of that too?

16 Likes

@Mike_S

Humble beginnings , good on DG

Funny how some people don’t seem to like success on this forum

12 Likes

It doesn’t include the song copyrights/publishing Gary - that’s why.

5 Likes

You weren’t suckers, you were just enjoying the music. But (years later) there ain’t nothing that the system won’t monetise if it can.

2 Likes

He’s not really. He’s not as much of an egotist as Roger, but he’s not far off. He’s also an ambitious, highly driven, control freak just like his erstwhile bandmate. What Dave is, is diffident and not entirely happy in the spotlight. He’s also smart, a realist, and an astute public relations man. And, having attained a great deal of wealth by his 30s, he decided in late middle age that he didn’t need any more money.

2 Likes

I believe Waters is domiciled in the US. Not sure about Gilmour and the others. I’m not sure what this free stuff is exactly, maybe you’d like to explain.

RW is indeed domiciled in the US (he has a house in the Hamptons), the other two are UK residents - Nick in Wiltshire and London, Dave in Sussex.

2 Likes

He auctioned his guitars for 21m dollars and gave the money to climate change, he also sold a 3.6m house and gave that money to the crisis charity.

In my eyes he has way more class than most wealthy people and outside looking in he comes across as a real family man.

The fact their music has endured 50 years tells its own story.

Gary

16 Likes

And as has been discussed before on here, this is generally a positive move in enabling artistes to crystallise values/worth, so as to avoid material bunfights on death, be these familial, within the band, the tax man, probably the recordco’s too.

3 Likes

Thx Kev

2 Likes

But don’t kid ourselves, the whole thing was a commercial venture from the start… this is just a step in its lifecycle. After all it was and still is commercial pop/rock music and pretty commercially successful music at that.
I am pretty sure it never started as a philanthropic non profit making venture to bring musical awareness and engagement to children and young people.

2 Likes

There are many reasons it’s called ‘the music business’.

Well of course, without commercial music business we would not really have records, CDs, radio play, streaming etc… we would all be singing and playing at our local pubs and clubs, or if we were ‘privileged’ in our drawing rooms… and I suspect there wouldn’t be hifi tuned to making music sound enjoyable either…

1 Like