Pink Floyd sells rights

@david1111 @HungryHalibut

this argument has been going on for years and it is completely fatuous. The likes of Macca, PF, Zep, etc have long been accused of “pushing aside” younger artists. But there is no evidence that if the heritage acts retired, dropped dead or stopped issuing records, consumers’ cash would be spent on young or avant garde artists instead.

If you have evidence that yet another reissue of DSOTM has stopped the punters buying the latest waxing from up and coming Tring indie rockers Islets of Langerhans, then I’d like to see it. But you don’t have any, because it doesn’t happen.

If there is one artist dominating the music ecosystem, and hoovering up the cash and headspace, it’s Taylor Swift (aged 34). Yet I don’t see anyone moaning about her, or demanding that she retire.

@steviebee has a point about streaming revenues, but that’s hardly the fault of heritage acts, is it? The industry, the way it is currently structured, is stacked against the artist, and the algorithm-driven platforms are inherently biased in favour of what is already popular, and against new or minority artists.

And in today’s world, where streaming rules, the heritage acts don’t matter that much, especially when stacked up against Swift, Sheeran, Eilish, The Weekend, Ariana Grande, Drake, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, Coldplay, Sabrina Carpenter etc. The five most successful groups of the album/LP/CD era – Beatles, Pink Floyd, Abba, AC/DC and Led Zep – for all their general hugeness, aren’t even in the top 50 of the most-streamed artists. The only heritage act that means something on the streamers is Queen, thanks to five of their songs being in the one billion streams club (and two of them have 2-billion-plus plays), and acouple of others bubbling under. AC/DC have four billion-plus songs, ABBA, Zep and Fabs one each and the Floyd none.

. There are plenty of good, upcoming bands that probably deserve the limelight.

Nobody disagrees with that @david1111 - but you need to look to the industry and the media for that. Macca or Percy or Gilmour retiring isn’t going to help. And anyway, why should these oldies retire? if people want to go and see them (even if their voices are shot or they’re not rail thin and gorgeous like they used to be), who are you to deny them that right?

20 Likes

Age discrimination isn’t a good look any more than discrimination on the grounds of race, sex etc etc

2 Likes

And even though I streamed music today , I must agree with you. I think streaming benefits older more established performers *, it’s sites like Band Camp that favour newer artists

*excluding the lusciousness that is Taylor Swift

PS Sorry I just couldn’t help myself

2 Likes

Perhaps the music produced nowadays really isn’t that good, but satisfies the current market?

Dunno - says he currently listening to Jethro Tull’s Benefit album……aging prog……

3 Likes

Oh alright, Kev, you make some very good points. I’m probably viewing the issue a tad superficially. I have to admit, if DG was playing locally, especially at a smaller venue, I’d pay to go see the old sod.

And I do moan about Taylor Swift … just not when anyone’s about … :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Good point … hadn’t considered that.

She is awful darn cute.

1 Like

And rich.

3 Likes

Totally off topic, but maye relevant. When I was in my pre teens, I loved my fathers Glen Miller swing records. There were some other Swing bands too, but I loved Glen Miller’s music. (I still do). I still have the double LP, my parents bought me for Christmas. This was in the sixties, and Rock and Roll, Rock and Pop had consigned the once mass market Jazz Swing to the dustbin of musical sales.

When I was in my teens, with a tie dye tee-shirt and flared jeans, I was into Prog, like all my mates and the girls I wanted to date. I always thought that Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes, would be forgotten in a few years time. There was always some new twist to popular music. Rock and Roll was already forgotten like Swing. Punk and the New Wave, seemed to be the death of Prog. My Italian girlfriend gave me a sartorial makeover. Tastes change and move forward.

It still surprises me that the remnants of Floyd and Genesis, can still fill huge venues.

1 Like

Well, welcome to the Machine PF.

2 Likes

Gilmour is humble about his abilities as a guitarist despite being idolised by generations of players. He sold a most of his guitar collection and the money went to charity. I think you’re being harsh on Gilmour. He had to put up with that monster Waters for decades, punishment enough surely.

5 Likes

Agree Jonathan

I just don’t get the negativity here at all.

1 Like

Envy, pure & simple.

2 Likes

Yes, okay, but Rod Stewart is scraping the barrel.

That’s the type of music you get when you have someone who’s mainly chasing skirt.

That sounds like someone’s dad talking.

1 Like

Two someones actually…

Next question?

Well it’s obvious that some of the music produced nowadays is complete rubbish, but also some of it is absolutely brilliant.

When I find some, I’ll be sure to let you know.

1 Like

Great Scot!

I just looked at my Qobuz favourites and almost everyone is dead.

There are a few still around like Keith Jarrett, Jack DeJohnette, Joachim Kuhn, Daniel Humair… But they are well into old age.

Only younger ones are Szun Waves, Gogo Penguin, Robocobra Quartet, Louis Cole, Cory Henry…

Brad Mehldau, Michael Wollny, Vikingur Olaffsson, John Zorn, Marc Ribot…

There must be more good music being created out there… My task is to find it.

No, the list of younger musicians, making great music is much bigger. Just looking at the UK Jazz scene, there are a lot of musicians blowing away the cobwebs.

Here are a few more; Jasmine Myra , whose, Rise album blew me away. Ezra Collective, for some good lively music. Ruth Goller and Kit Downes, for things you have never heard before. Nubya Garcia seems to be on a roll with her take on Jazz.

In the US there is a lot of new blood too. I have just bought an powerful album by Lakecia Benjamin. Kamasi Washington is becoming a big name beyond Jazz.

I have recently read Ugly Beauty, by Phil Freeman, Playing Changes, by Nate Chinen, for the US and Unapologetic Expression by André Marmot, for the UK. Together with the reviews on Jazzwise, and Cris May’s reviews on All About Jazz, I have, and am, discovering a lot of new artists.

The big problem is digging out the gems, from the avalanche of music being issued. I mention Jazz. But I quess every other genre has new blood trying to push things forward.

Sony, will not be making any “Pink Floyd income” from me, I tired of them years ago. They are fine for the occasional trip back to my youth.

1 Like