Pink Floyd sells rights

Thank you for these ideas. I’ve listened to a lot of these artists and quite enjoyed some of them, but not felt compelled to play them frequently.

But I am constantly searching for new music. Of course the fields of music that have already been made are much greater than those currently being made, so just quantitatively there is so much more historic Music to be mined.

I play Pink Floyd about once every year or two.

1 Like

You left off the two most exciting young talents in jazz – the US singer Samara Joy (just 24) whose new, and FIFTH album, the stunning Portrait, is out today. She is just a class above everyone else in jazz and I think she’s the best living singer.

Then there’s Shuteen Erdenebaatar, the Mongolian-born pianist and composer. Her Quartet is phenomenal, and they’re the best live jazz act out there. Her 2023 debut album, Rising Sun, is well worth a listen.

Personally, I think the whole ‘London/British new jazz scene’ thing is overhyped. I think Nubya Garcia, Kokoroko and Ezra Collective are massively overrated. The whole Hallsall/Myra/Gondwana label thing (the brilliant Hania Rani excepted, but is she jazz anyway?) is just New Age elevator music.

There is, however one Brit-jazz artist who is definitely for the ages, and that’s Yazz Ahmed. Not only is she a brilliant trumpet/flugelhorn player, she is also an enormously gifted composer and arranger. I love the mix of jazz, electronics and Bahraini elements in her music. Again, she is an incredible live performer. The good news is that all her albums are being reissued on 1st November.

Samara:

Shuteen:

Yazz:

4 Likes

Totally agree with you about Yazz Ahmed (plus I would add a few more names) and about the overhyping of the London and Gondwana stuff.

1 Like

The list of new musicians making a mark is pretty long. I will explore the three you mentioned.

Whilst I agree the Gondwana sound is somewhat bland, I enjoyed Jasmine Myra’s Rise, just because it was just enjoyable, well composed and well played, even if is easy on the ear. I think she is a talent worth watching.

I do not live in the UK so much of the hype surrounding the London Jazz scene has passed me by. I have just started to explore the universe that rotates around Garcia and Hutchins. So far I think it is interesting because, it is trying to get away from mainstream Jazz, with all those different cultural inputs, that have created something different. A bit like Nordic Jazz.

Thanks, I will check these references out.

This guy quotes Richard Osman on bands on the charts - and where they have gone. Osman has actually counted. The shift seem to be more major than I personally ever noticed.

On Youtube : Rick Beato: Why Are Bands Mysteriously Disappearing?

One issue with me is that I don’t like any jazz or any music with vocals!

I just love the sound of resonating materials, but not resonating vocal cords.

Piano drums and bass is Heaven for me, Without the wailers

The only vocalist I can think of who I can enjoy is Jimi Hendrix, what a poet, when he was on form, and such a brilliant voice, reflective of his amazing personality

Maybe I could cope with Bob Dylan too, and Lou Reed maybe, but actually I rarely feel like playing them either

I just love the absence of people talking when I’m listening to music

Sorry for thread drift

Those who can, do. Those who can’t, criticise.

And oh look, David Gilmour’s got more money than me. Boo hoo.

1 Like

It is amazing how different we all are. Most Jazz I find not to my taste, probably my failing rather than Jazz not being good. Instrumental music on the whole I find lacking. For me, lyrics and a voice I like are part of the music I like best. I share your love of resonating materials and whilst some electronic music I find good, it is usually the stringed instruments that grab my attention and the interplay between guitars and a singer is probably a common feature on much of my listening.

This is empirically proven:

2 Likes

like this then…:innocent::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Spot on.

You’d think the, er, new directions in jazz would contain some fire or at the least a spark…But from Bitches Brew we got a London Brew a milky concoction that should have spent more time in the pot.

1 Like

The one thing that grabbed me that I had to see was I think they were called the Comet is coming at Glastonbury. Three guys with the most amazing sax player.

They were giving it everything.

Agree, there are moments.
Shabaka was good with Art Ensemble of Chicago at the Barbican and I quite liked Ezra Collective in their first or second album, then they went…mmm…

I like Shirley Tetteh, but she would benefit from a band on fire.

I hope the new(ish) jazz musicians pick up on the sheer vigour and…jeez, I dunno, anger, chutzpah, urgency, getting things out there that their obvious inspirations had… there’s plenty of reason for the revival of socially conscious music that hits back and spiritually conscious music that goes beyond.

1 Like

Talking of exciting young talents, I just came across this NPR tiny desk video of the Tedeschi trucks band absolutely exquisite ass kicking music, pure delight to watch with a cup of tea on a quiet lazy Saturday morning.

Even trying to say what genre of music they are playing would add nothing to the enjoyment of this lovely music (inc. vocals!) :slightly_smiling_face:

The highlight for me was the sax solo and ending of the middle track of the 3, ‘Don’t know what it is’.

@suzywong “Perhaps the music produced nowadays really isn’t that good, but satisfies the current market?”

If you feel like watching this video let me know if it qualifies as good music produced nowadays.

8.5 million viewers can’t be wrong! :smiley:

3 Likes

Course they can. That’s only 0.104% of the worlds population.

1 Like