Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of The Moon, 50th Anniversary Box Set

Instead of jumping straight in with another reply, what I will do is this. I haven’t played the album for a while, four or five months perhaps, so over the next week or so I will revisit the remastered vinyl album on heavy grade vinyl and also the remastered digital CD copy and I will compare to a couple of other albums from the era like Yellow Brick Road for instance. Then I will reply back to you with my updated thoughts. I don’t have remastered versions of the other albums though. How does that sound to you? I will either confirm my first thoughts or retract them in favour of popular opinion and claim the early onset of senility as the cause.

“Heavy grade vinyl”

Yellow Brick Road

Not sure I get what either have to do with it :wink:

Yes trying to find a Pink Floyd album ‘Yellow Brick Road’. Another Brick in the Wall?

2 Likes

White bricks at that.

2 Likes

Too far apart for a proper shootout, but still…

30th Anniversary

Sounds great too.

5 Likes

I think we need to remember that a remaster and a remix are very different things. Animals was remixed but, as far as I can see this is just a remaster? Not sure how much they can do to improve on the multiple remasters already out there

1 Like

Interested in the Live CD. Is it the 16 Nov 1974 concert at Wemberley recorded by the Beeb?

It is indeed @suzywong

There goes next month’s Pension!

1 Like
1 Like

A first press is a first press and can never be replaced, that’s enough for me :innocent:

Sure, but a mint first press costs about 1700…

I’ve had a peculiar relationship with Pink Floyd over the past 30 odd years. I was a Pink Floyd nerd back in my teens and early 20’s and adored sitting in the dark listening to their albums and pondering life, the universe and everything. I bought everything they ever put out on vinyl including the solo works, the VHS tapes, the DVD’s etc. I saw them live a couple of times in 87 and 89 too which was spectacular.

In recent years however my taste seems to have shifted away from them so I tend to play more mainstream rock - Stones, Beatles, Del Amitri, Fleetwood Mac etc. I still regard DSOTM, Saucerfull of Secrets, Wish you were here etc as fabulous albums but I very rarely listen to them anymore… The irony is that my lack of interest really started when I took up guitar. Gilmour is an absolute master of course but it’s people like Knopfler or Keith Richards or Iain Harvie of Del Amitri who I regard as my guitar heroes.

My main interest in the Floyd remasters would be to hear them in surround/Atmos. I’m less bothered by the idea of hearing yet another two channel mix when in truth the bulk of Floyd’s original albums sound beautifully recorded and mixed. The Final Cut in particular is a stunning recording sonically and my experience of remasters across various artists has been somewhat mixed - less dynamic range and a lot of tinkering at the margins to bring out new sounds low down in the mix using compression which I don’t regard as an improvement really. So a £250 boxed set including a load of superfluous stuff isn’t of interest but a £20 blu-ray with an Atmos mix could be - at least until one of the hi-fi manufacturers brings out an Atmos equipped streamer and then I can access all the Atmos in the world via Tidal.

Asking whether they’ve lost their marbles is perhaps a little late - after all, just 30 seconds into DSOTM they told us that they’d ‘been made for f…ing years, absolutely years’!

Mark

1 Like

I’ve got a 1973 copy purchased in September that year still have the posters, a 30th anniversary issue (which IMO sounds crap) and a Greek pressing on the Harvest green label which I don’t think I have ever played. Also have a SACD version and a DSD version.

Do I need another copy… well maybe, but not with all the extras.

Tim

At school in the 70’s it was usual to see the older boys with these stickers on their school cases.

Took a year or so for the mystery to be solved.

7 Likes

You think the 30th Anniversary sounds rubbish? :thinking:
I must be easily pleased :smile:

2 Likes

The MFSL is the one to get, but there again, I’ve not heard a perfect 1st pressing with the right matrix numbers and I doubt many people have. It’s just the usual myth that 1st pressing is best.

Too many expensive boxsets came out in the past few years and I won’t spend on all of them. Life is to short and expensive. I won’t be buying this set full of things I don’t want, even though it’s Floyd.

Just watched the video (most of it)…he knows it inside and out?
The 30th Anniversary isn’t a remix by James Guthrie AFAIK. Remastered by Kevin Gray/Doug Sax according to my matrix etching. No mention of Guthrie…?

I’m not always in favour of the early MFSLs bit I rather like the early first MFSL of DSoTM, and it’s my usual ‘go-too’ favoured over a few '70s UKs, the 30th Anniversary, a Japanese Pro, and the 2016 Guthrie, although I’m sure some would tell you it’s utter rubbish and only the UK first issue with solid blue triangle is the ONE.

1 Like