Planned obsolescence

Yay, that is great to hear… very glad you have Qobuz working.

As to your other questions, it was always only a hack and not supported behaviour - possibly not even Apple sanctioned: not a question of bad motives or questionable ethics from where I sit.

My own advice is to enjoy the victory and let some of the hurt heal for your own peace of mind. I was motivated to help in part because I remembered something from six or seven years ago and in part because I thought the tone of some of the thread posts was getting a bit harsh… and I have resolved to aim for being positive rather than negative when I can, especially in these very stressful times. Score one for the forces of happiness!

Regards, alan

4 Likes

I’ve said before, that Naim should open source their API’s. Allow a community to form, it would even be a selling point over competitors.

1 Like

I’ll second that, forget about that workaround but qobuz on iPhone into nds sounds terrific.

Ask Naim which yet-to-be-launched services they will support in 2025. I look forward to you sharing the response with us.

2 Likes

On the contrary to what many here seem to moan about, I find the simple fact that the streamers all have a variety of digital inputs provides a long term solution to extended/new functionality.

Yes it is very nice to have everything baked in to the Naim functionality. But that simply is impossible after a number of years (and the NDX was around for a very long time outliving generations of cheaper stuff). Yet the digital inputs prevent obsolescence. You can buy any manner of streaming transport, including a dirt cheap micro PC, feed it to the NDX (or whatever) and still get sound going via the Naim configured DSP, DAC, and analogue output stage. You’ll still be able to do that with an NDX in 20 years from now. That doesn’t sound particularly obsolete to me.

I do get that isn’t the same as a baked in solution but honestly, people are conflating the word “obsolescence” with “mild inconvenience”. The changes that have come about in streaming platforms haven’t exactly bricked the old streamers. And the expense to add the latest streaming services to an old NDX is fairly mild.

5 Likes

This thread inspired me. I went to the dealer that originally sold my 1997 Porsche Boxster. I asked for the manager, and asked him why they cannot retrofit anti-lock brakes, a backup camera, and a lane-change warning. I asked him why Porsche had built-in obsolescence.

Inspired by @beeka I told him that “a clear indication of support scope / timelines would better align my expectations to what Porsche will provide in the future.”

To my chagrin, he offered a very unsatisfying response, namely, “Sir, this is a Burger King.”

3 Likes

Off course, a shoe-box sized DAC v1 replacement as a network streamer with the new streamer technology that could output to the NDX, 272 etc would work?

1 Like

Changing that. Read again what I wrote.

And this was devilishly simple and elegant. I got a fanless Lenovo micro PC (Just a heatsink with CPU and memory nearly), created an auto login user. Set Audirvana to load automatically at boot. Updates to only happen at 4am. Finally paired it with the Audirvana app and that was it, done with the keyboard and monitor. No longer needed. Just plonk it in the rack and connect it to a DAC like a dedicated streamer. Loads of functionality.

No need to sell any Naim boxes or lose the Naim sound.

1 Like

Didn’t we just establish that they’re currently closed?

So not sure what answer you’re expecting other than: “The ones they’re using”

Just don’t have a problem with one of their CD players.

There’s two pieces of software communicating, I think it’s safe to assume there’s a form of API there.

So, again my answer: We’ve established that it’s closed.

Asking the same question again is not going to change that. (I guess you can always try, maybe you’ll be third time lucky? :slight_smile:)

You do seem to be quite het up about it, so maybe you can explain what your problem with the suggestion is? How would it negatively affect you if something was open sourced? That way we’ll be able to have a more constructive discussion as I don’t really see the current one going anywhere.

To quote one of your previous messages:

I think you’re confusing API with protocol. They aren’t the same thing. Some APIs are exposed over a network protocol at Layer 6 or 7. Some aren’t.

I understand the difference. But as an exchange of data takes place, or at least manipulation of remote resources, there will be an API here. In this case, used over a protocol.

Not necessarily. That might be the case. Or it might be talking UPnP which is simply an HTTP based protocol shoved over UDP. I can probably name a dozen protocols of the top of my head that allow very specific data exchanged between to endpoints where one controls the other which are not APIs.

I have two Yamaha WX-030 streamer/speakers and a Muso 1. None of them natively support Qobuz but all do use the Upnp protocol. No problem, I use Audirvana on a Windows laptop to stream to them, or airplay on iOS, or BubbleUpnp on Android, or BubbleUpnp server on Rpi. I have too many ways to play Qobuz to these legacy devices.

All the Yamaha MusicCast stuff has native Qobuz support.

I’m not an expert on UPnP, so happy to be educated. But regardless of whether everything they do is possible with UPnP, by using UPnP you’re using (SOAP) APIs, no? And I guess we can assume that any custom implementaion (like Naim’s) will need their own APIs on top.

But regardless, I don’t think it’s all that relevant to my point. Maybe I should have just written “Open source whatever they’re using to control the devices”.

Not my WX-030’s. Maybe the newer ones. Could be regional though and likely is. The firmware update in April 2019 brought Airplay 2 and Qobuz to more recent models than the WX-030. Naim is not the only one moving on. I purchased the Yamaha wx-030’s in late 2017.