Planning Permission Objection

Hi Andy, as you have the drawings shown above and presumably the plans, it might be useful to make some visual materials to help your objections - either a simple block model or 3D rendering if possible.

I was thinking what would I do in your position - I would take photographs from my property and gardens, from all angles, and from other positions around the plot/road and photoshop in a block to represent the new build. Then use before and after images to state your case.

That way at least the visual impact on the neighbourhood is covered. Just a thought.

1 Like

When you check with the Highway Authority ask to see their plan - to make sure (if the plan is good enough) that the adoption/ownership of the land 100% abuts the boundary of the development.

If there is a gap - however small - there may be a third party ownership of that strip and it will be worth a lot - maybe enough to make the development unviable.

3 Likes

Andy

Be carfull. Have you seen the film “Under The Tree”

There is no need to check with the highway authority as they have already said they have no issue. The land ownership, including any potential ransom strips, are held by the planning authority, which is the district council. Their GIS will show their land, adopted highway, and other land. To find the ownership of the other land you need to go online at the Land Registry.

One other thing strikes me here. While the neighbour would ideally have spoken to you before submitting the application, it may be worth going round, saying you are worried and talking it through. You’d be able to find out exactly where the house would be relative to your boundary and take a view on potential overlooking. I suppose it depends on relations between you but if it’s their retirement house and you really don’t want to move it is very likely worthwhile. Good neighbourly relations are really important.

Off piste suggestion here, so don’t take it the wrong way as it’s well intended but have you considered doing the same thing and building a new house for you at the end of the garden next to this new one and selling off your existing house? i.e. turn the problem in to an opportunity?

You said that this could be the kick up the backside you need.

Or, planting a row of high growing conifers along the border where the house is being built. :innocent:

I agree with you there, Nigel, as I think the knee-jerk reaction, probably from many of us, is one of surprise that they didn’t pop round beforehand, to mention what they had in mind.

When the first we hear of it is when an application plops through the letterbox, it’s understandable that it get’s one’s back up slightly.

We’re all different, but myself, once I’d slept on things, maybe a wee wander round the garden might help put things in perspective, and I might come to the conclusion that it’s not as bad as I’d first supposed.

Having defused a similar situation at a friend’s house a while back, they now see that getting on with the neighbours is, as you say, really important.

When I’ve mentioned to my neighbours next door that they must let me know if my music is too loud, all I ever get in reply is that, “yes, they do sometimes hear it in their garden, but do I do requests?”

I agree that for the aspirant builder, going round to talk to the neighbours is essential.

A friend of mine decided to demolish his unattractive 1970s house and put a purpose-designed Huf house in its place. He had new neighbours whom he hadn’t really met, so he went round early one evening with the plans. They were very pleased to be consulted and it turned out they were enthusiasts for the Huf style and an hour or so later they had agreed to write a letter in support of his planning application. All they asked was for him to agree to co-fund a fence to give them more privacy at the side, which my friend readily agreed. In the event the architectural design of the new house meant this was unnecessary and everyone was happy.

In any case, I agree that it would be worth Andy’s while to reach out to his neighbours, even though they haven’t started their project well.

Best

David

1 Like

Just out of interest as I have no idea, but has there ever been precedent whereby the effect of a development on a neighbouring property’s value would be taken into consideration, or if the neighbouring owners had recourse for compensation for loss of value (if there were any) for their own property?

This sort of example shows to me just how inconsiderate many people are, and frankly how they don’t give a hoot about others’ feelings.

It’s almost like something out of a Wild West territorial dispute.

Objectively the proposed building looks reasonably attractive, but for me the concern would be that it’s a 3 tier construction perhaps mitigated a little by the flat roof.

If they wanted a large single storey garage/granny flat/office at the rear of the property you still might not like it, but it would be far more reasonable.

Both of my neighbours have moved in during the last 5-6 years and have mooted multiple plans for extensions.

Chap on the left is DIY mad, always driling/banging at all hours and has extended the rear already. He’s also an architect so probably knows what he can get away with.

Scaffolding appeared in January out of the blue and I was convinced he was going to do a horrendous loft extension as he’s mentioned this before.

This really upset me as we’ve had years of noise since he’s renovated the place, and I often work from home in the week, and rarely a week goes by when there isn’t some contractor or other doing noisy work there.

As it happened it was just a log burner installation, but it would have been nice to have had a ‘heads up’ as workmen would have been able to see into our upstairs rooms from the scaffolding. I asked him if he had considered re-pointing the shared chimney while the scaffolding was up, as I’d have considered paying for it myself or sharing and contributing to his scaffolding costs but he wasn’t interested.

I have an old stone wall between my garden and neighbours either side. Chap on the left mentioned he was going to rebuild the garage which would involve dismantling the far end of the stone wall and would I mind this being brick - I said it was a shared wall and I didn’t want it changed at all as it would change the character of the garden wall on my side as I have shrubbery adjoining his existing garage which comes up to but is not part of the stone wall.

He can’t do much for a few weeks I suspect but am not relishing the arguments to come.

He seems to dislike the sun and I have several mature trees/shrubs which partly overhang his garden - they have overgrown and I’ve not had time to get to grips with them, but when I last mentioned if he wanted them cut back he said they provided nice shade for his garden. Last summer his parents cam to stay and attacked our growth with gusto without asking - I’m aware that they are allowed to cut back overhanging material, but they went further leaning over the wall cutting branches back well within our side of the property - one of those trees has now died and blown over and made a rather nice secluded part of our garden where we often sat on a bench quite open to view.

1 Like

Our planning regulations are explicit, the effect of property values is irrelevant . The only time it can get taken into account is in extreme case with the LGO and this sounds nowhere like that.

That is very, very naughty to put it mildly.

1 Like

It may pay you to see an architect and get views on whether it conforms to local planning regulations.

The important thing is that you have to demonstrate why it doesn’t conform

1 Like

I’m a YIMBY and would always support infill development and higher density. It beats the alternative of paving over ever more of the countryside and wilderness for sprawling suburbs and the roads that connect them. So I’m not the guy to advise about how to block it. Blocking it (in my view) would simply be selfish. “Neighbourhood character” concerns should be dismissed out of hand, and no consideration of parking requirements should be entertained. The correct amount of parking is zero.

My only advice (if you can’t live with it) would be to monetise the increased price for your property and move somewhere else.

1 Like

Good advice. You might also check if previous applications have tried similar in the past and been refused/passed, and on what grounds.

G

It’s what I did when faced with a false survey report, it was a case of bolting the stable door but the Local Government Ombudsman gave me back the money I had spent …

Or rather the council used council tax payers money to refund me.

Sorry which bit?

Hi @AndyP, As to be expected you are getting a lot of useful and informed feedback from your fellow forum members.
As a retired architect I think most things have been covered, e.g. how does it fit with local planning development guidelines, access and safety etc.
Personally looking at the plan view of the proposed development on the site it looks a bit over developed, ie. too big for the site and the issues raised about privacy are pertinent given the extensive balcony design.
Certainly pursue the issue of precedent, has it been done before in the neighbourhood ? that should be fairly easy to establish, local knowledge plus a check of planning registers. (this can be done online)
It’s important that as many register complaint, do this as individuals, not as households, numbers matter when it comes to our elected members.
I do bit of advising for our village heritage group, our track against individual developments is pretty good, less so against bigger developments, the additional income for the local authority seems a great planning approval incentive.
Good luck with the good fight.

3 Likes

Causing damage to your tree by cutting it on your side. B*****y annoying and totally thoughtless.

I have no intention whatsoever of getting into arguments about cutting trees, shrubs, bushes or topiary .

If you catch my drift…

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like