Play that funky music

The version I’ve got is titled the 40th anniversary edition, with 4 bonus tracks and those tracks are very good too.

Has no one mentioned Nile Rodger’s, Chic?

2 Likes

Johnny Guitar Watson.
Started out as a Bluesman and then got the funk with albums like A Real Mother and Ain’t That A Bitch
R-872143-1199637333.jpeg
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

No, but I suppose I was aiming this thread mainly at early 70s funk and I tend to associate Chic with the later disco period. I do like Chic though and have a Chic ‘best of’ album.

Thanks, I’ll check him out.

I listened to this 3 CD compilation this morning and very enjoyable it was too. Thanks for the recommendation.

3 Likes

Well done. Terrific stuff on this CD.

The later Donald Byrd material got a bit discoey for me but all the Blue Note records are fantastic.

I bought all those on original vinyl Blue Note imports back in the late 70s. I was working my first job in London and there was a vinyl warehouse on Oxford Street that took all my hard earned. They had a hook up with the USA and got all sorts of Blue Note imports at £1.99. Enabled me to get loads of stuff by Dexter Gordon, Lou Donaldson, Bobby Hutcherson and a complete collection of Donald Byrd. I still have some of those, but sadly the Thatcher era made me sell a lot of my collection when the mortgage rates hit the friendly heights of 15%………

1 Like

How about a bit of Maze Featuring Frankie Beverley, anyone remember this?

5 Likes

Often described by pigeonholers as Afro Rock.
Osibisa fused African, Carribean, Latin, Rock, Jazz, RnB you name it into a fusion that however you want to describe it was nearly always Funky.
There first albums were also memorable for the Roger Dean artwork

2 Likes

Osibisa - now there’s a blast from the past! I remember the hit song they had in the 70s - Sunshine Day. I always liked that song.

1 Like

I love Maze, especially You featuring Frankie Beverly…

4 Likes

The track I think you may have highlighted, Lansana’s Priestess, is brilliant. Donald does seem to have been quite an interesting character when you read about his background and achievements. I may delve more deeply into his music.

It’s a shame that you had to sell some of those albums when the interest rates got so high.

1 Like

A bit late to the party, but here are even more suggestions.

First, three funky flutists:

• Bobby Humphrey - try Blacks and Blues (1973) or Dig This! (1972).
  • Hubert Laws - The Chicago Theme (1974) is brilliant.
  • Herbie Mann - Memphis Underground (1969) is a classic, though quite laid-back and a bit pre-funk, perhaps. There’s also Push Push, but I should give a trigger warning for the front cover - don’t look at it with a full stomach.

Then there’s the bass players:

• Stanley Clarke - School Days (1976)
  • Jaco Pastorius - although he’s perhaps better known for being more experimental, his eponymous solo album from 1976 is funkier than I was expecting

The sax players got in on the act too:

• David Newman - Captain Buckles (1971) and Front Money (1976) are very enjoyable
  • David Sanborn - his debut album Takin’ Off is very groovy.

I also think Herbie Hancock’s funk work is under-appreciated - try Man-Child, Thrust, Secrets and some tracks on The Prisoner and see if you agree.

Likewise Quincy Jones is so remembered as a producer and arranger it gets forgotten that he released many albums under his own name - Body Heat, Smackwater Jack and You’ve got it bad, girl are the funkiest.

Finally, don’t overlook the young jazz groups out there - try the title track from Gareth Lockrane’s Grooveyard’s The Strut.

That’s quite enough for one day…

Mark

1 Like

Thanks Mark for all the suggestions. I will add these to the many good suggestions I’ve had so far. I don’t know those flute players you’ve mentioned, but I quite like a bit of flute on some funk / soul tracks. For example, there’s some great flute on The Bottle by Gil Scott Heron by Brian Jackson.

I’ve heard of David Sanborn, Herbie Hancock and Quincy Jones, but I’m not too familiar with their solo work, so that’s more to discover.

Thanks again.
Neil

Just been listening to a few tracks off this, as recommended by @Numptyhead. Tremendous fun. One track, Far Beyond, I thought I had heard before but it seems it was sampled by Basement Jaxx for one of their songs, which is probably why it sounded so familiar.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m not familiar with that name, but I’ll give him a listen.

1 Like

This thread gives me the excuse to mention one of my favourite 70s band…again…sorry! They were a great live band. Along with a number of college/pub circuit bands at the same time. Ewemon will just shake his weary head! Cado Bell, Meal Ticket anyone. I will get my coat.

Thanks again! Another new name to me, so more music to investigate.

Thanks - I’ve never heard of Moon. I’ll give them a try.

IMG_0857

Listened to tracks from this album, as recommended by @anon41143757, and I really enjoyed it. Leaning perhaps more to jazz to my ears, but the funk- soul elements give it an extra dimension. It really swings in parts - I think my dad (he was an organist and loved big band and swing music) would have enjoyed the track, More Today Than Yesterday.

4 Likes