Play that funky music

Always loved this record Neil - but far too jazzy for the funk market. Electric violin as lead instrument on a funk album? Are you mad?

Locksmith were Grover Washington’s band for several years and recorded my two favourite “Grovers” with him - Live At The Bijou and Reed Seed. This was before Grover was signed by Warner Brothers and encouraged to record the dreaded smooth jazz (Hey Grover - before we sign you we want to hear your music played more in supermarkets baby…!!!)
Sadly Locksmith didn’t record anything else together as they were in too much demand as session players.

1 Like

Deep Jazz-Funk.
A classic.

1 Like

Favourite tracks:
Joy and Pain
Before I let Go

4 Likes

Got to have some Prince
R-3139530-1373794102-8033.jpeg

2 Likes

Perhaps not travelled so well but was big back in the day

7 Likes

Ahem!

2 Likes

Back to the seventies and more funky sexism

2 Likes

Hamilton Bonhannon anyone?
I remember the rather cheesy Disco Stomp being a hit on TOTP when I was how old?

4 Likes

I’ve got a few Prince albums (1999, Purple Rain, Parade, Hits 1 and 2). I also have his somewhat lengthy Emancipation album (3 CDs) which, although it’s probably not that highly regarded, I really like.

I see Sign ‘O’ The Times (never had that one) is being re- released on vinyl, so I might go for that.

Its perhaps his finest album, 1999 (2019 reissue) & forthcoming SOTT deluxe editions were/are remastered from 24/192 files by Bernie Grundman. I just picked up the 2011 remaster of 1999 which I believe is all analogue and sounds great

I have 3 volumes of a vinyl bootleg series “Ultra Rare 12” Mixes" which is funky as hell

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll get it ordered then.

Nearly all of Prince official vinyl releases were I believe mastered by Bernie Grundman including reissues. Where vinyl is concerned I tend to prefer AAA mastering wherever possible so I have held off the forthcoming SOTT until I see how well recieved it is in terms of SQ compared to earlier AAA masterings.

I started a separate thread on these but it’s not attracted much interest so far

Anyone seen my anorak?
:grin:

Try the time

Had a look at your thread and see what you’re saying. Food for thought.

1 Like

Ha! The Dazz Band. Coincidentally I was spinning their Let It Whip just a couple of days back. Great track.

2 Likes

:+1:

I’m taking a liberty here but @Richard.Dane has an original vinyl copy of SOTT perhaps we could twist his arm to get the forthcoming vinyl remaster and let us have his trusted report on a comparison, whatdya say Richard?

I first heard War when Low Rider came out as a single from the Why Cant We Be Friends LP

Correct me if I’m wrong, originally formed by Eric Burdon until according to him in a recent documentary they moved on without him because he was white

1 Like

If I do crumble and get the reissue, I’ll definitely let you know how it compares. However, right now, it’s not on the cards…

2 Likes