On the box tomorrow night (Friday) and iplayer thereafter

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll set that up to record.

Motown & Funk compilation

3 Likes

Ronnie Laws - Every Generation

Ronnie Laws - Pressure Sensitive

Willie Bobo - Hell Of An Act To Follow

Great jazz/funk. The Willi Bobo album is only here cos he does a belter of a version of ‘Always There’ on it from the Ronnie Laws’ Pressure Sensitive album.

3 Likes

Best jazz/funk track of all time (IMHO) is ‘I Pull The Strings’ by Morrissey Mullen. I used to have this as a 12” vinyl single but like an idiot I sold it when I went digital. Now I can’t find it.

Any funksters out there know where I might find it on CD?

Loving this thread by the way!

1 Like

@NigelB - the excellent Vocalian Dutton label has a twofer of the Life On The Wire + It’s About Time… albums on one CD which has the track you want on it. Deleted now I think, but should be fairly easy to track down.

1 Like

Late to this thread - if you have never listened to this band, these cuts are from their one and only release, and it is top shelf funk all the way:

3 Likes

@TheKevster, you are a star. I found the MM twofer offer, not cheap but tracked down a good condition pre-loved example for very little money.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, much appreciated and very excited.

1 Like

I still prefer Bill Withers original version of Who is She( And What Is She To You)

Managed to draw myself away from listening to my Karousel upgrade and watched this whilst having dinner.
Great to be reminded of bands like Hi Tension and Imagination

R-419278-1153425584.jpeg R-1309638-1208521477.jpeg

1 Like

I’ve never heard of them, but I’ve just had a quick listen online and it sounds tremendous. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Glad to pass it along - I think (although I am not certain), that I learned of them through the forum.

1 Like

LOVE!! I’m going to spin Joy and Pain tonight. “Thanks Tidal/Qobuz!”

2 Likes

Morrissey Mullen:
Life On The Wire
It’s About Time

A twofer from Morrissey Mullen. Classy jazz/funk. ‘It’s About Time’ contains my all time favourite jazz/funk track - ‘I Pull The Strings’, an absolute belter of a choon. Blimey, this takes me back!

Thanks to @TheKevster for pointing me in the right direction.

7 Likes

Here to help Nigel. :sunglasses:

Cerrone - The Best Of Cerrone Productions, Spotify

2 Likes

Just picked up this Skull Snaps album, as recommended by @DrMark and very good it is too.

1 Like

I believe the Young People refer to ‘a banger’ these days!

1 Like

Yes, I am an old git and just not down with the kids!

3 Likes

Somewhere to park the bike!

1 Like