Play that funky music

I was scrolling down hoping someone would mention War, great band. I always play one of their albums after any upgrade. :+1:

1 Like

Don’t know if they were formed by Eric or not, but they did give him the flick (apparently).

Bit of a cheek on my part but thanks anyway

Eric Burdon Rock & Roll Animal documentary it was on BBC iplayer but not now available.
If I’m remembering correctly according to the doc Eric formed War from a pool of session musicians. They were initially called Eric Burdon And War, then as direction changed into a more funk and black consciousness sound, according to Eric they got rid of him for being “white”

1 Like

I’m sure that his story but the truth is probably completely different.

I’m sure other members of the band would have a different take for sure. The fact that the band initially were called Eric Burdon & War suggests to me that he was the lead figure in the bands inception and they presumably went along with it.
I’m no authority but in my estimation it seems likely that Eric’s version is true and that when the band he fronted for whatever reason tired of him they dropped him, perhaps to appeal more to a Black audience.
R-8221335-1457398941-8362.jpeg

EDIT
According to Wikipedia;
The original War was conceived by record producer Jerry Goldstein (“My Boyfriend’s Back”, “Hang on Sloopy”, “I Want Candy”) and singer Eric Burdon (ex-lead singer of the British band the Animals). In 1969, Goldstein saw musicians who would eventually become War playing at the Rag Doll in North Hollywood, backing Deacon Jones, and he was attracted to the band’s sound.

Also according to Wikipedia, Eric collapsed on stage in 1971 with asthma and War continued the tour without him. Maybe that was the seed of their parting

I also wonder if imo the rather crass title of the 1970 album Black Mans Burdon with its hippy imagery and focus on white man Eric would have been very well recieved by a black audience in race struggle. War’s next album was sans Eric.

1 Like

I actually thought the same. It was to a few months ago I read they’d gave him the flick. I assumed he just left. Either way they’re a great band.

1 Like

I’ve just updated my post, I looked for more information on tinternet

1 Like

War’s The World Is A Ghetto album was an early recommendation on this thread from Numptyhead and very good it is too. I will certainly be looking into some of their other albums. Incidentally, they still seem to be performing as I found some recent performance clips on YouTube . I think there is only one original member, but they sounded good.

2 Likes

I have an old book compiled by Nick Logan and Bob Woffinden titled, The Illustrated NME Encyclopedia of Rock (1978 edition) and there is an entry for War. It states that they toured Europe “…in 1971 when Burdon, exhausted, was unable to complete the itinerary…” and it seems the split became permanent.

So, similar to the wiki entry. Interestingly, the band had another white member, Danish-born Lee Oskar (harmonica) who stayed in the band after Burdon left. It seems Burdon introduced Oskar to the band.

1 Like

Eric Burdon Declares War is an interesting album, it’s worth it for Spill The Wine alone. Why Can’t We Be Friends is an excellent. Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Just found a nice vinyl copy of this whilst having a rummage. Added it to my To Play section
R-377858-1212406718.jpeg R-377858-1325696728.jpeg

1 Like

And this rather cool looking double LP gatefold set
R-629095-1383080674-8567.jpeg
Full length takes by Fred Wesley, Cameo, Slave, Brides Of Funkenstein, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Genaral Caine, George Clinton, K9 Corp, Well Read, Xavier

1 Like

On the “One”

Just had a listen to some Ohio Players tracks - sound quite good. The album covers are, shall we say, “interesting”

2 Likes

On the subject of Philly Soul, also well worth checking out are the single disc or double vinyl sets from the ever reliable Soul Jazz label.
R-376230-1569367858-1102.jpeg
R-1370345-1329077982.jpeg

2 Likes

MFSB the House Band at Philadelphia International put out some great instrumental tracks, most people will probably have heard the track TSOP which can be heard here
R-365838-1424621610-4909.jpeg

3 Likes

For some 21st Century Jazz Funk you might like to check out UK Trombonist Dennis Rollins.
This is a good starting point

1 Like

2 Likes

Great album from 1968 by Alan Hawkshaw. An interesting character who amongst other things did the Grange Hill and Countdown on channel 4 theme tunes. Also many memorable TVs adverts. Although this must be his most funky effort.

2 Likes