PMC Fenestria

Thanks for all the comments. I will have to find out for myself,

1 Like

Let us know how you get on.

Will do thanks

When I first listened to the Fenestrias at the Signals show, It was first thing, I was sat near the front, and there was only a couple of us there. Later on, with us both having a listen, the room was full & we stood at the back. Different sound!

Like Gazza, I’ve listened to these speakers a couple of times in the main Signals demo space (too big to call it a room, more like a concert hall), & I’d still say they’re something really special, with great clarity and presence to the sound. Bit on the dear side mind…

1 Like

I’m sure Ovator S800 would be around the same price if still in production today.

I suspect the Fenestria are power hungry enough and demanding whereby you rally want to drive them with a Statement or passive triamped NAP500. What I am curious about, is with the crossover in the base so easily removable, do PMC have any plans to go active with them? I suspect not though.

i would say: before trying to install the Fenestria, try to set up correctly a naim system ! Specially if you are a dealer…

Mmmm speakers shoved in a corner. That’s a recipe for success :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

with the boxes stacked together…Mmmm

Exactly my thought FZ - other than those designed for such placement it is rare for speakers to sound good in corners. I was surprised at HiFi Lounge installing in such positions, so I read the article, and appended comments and understand that was the listener’s insistence.

But two things struck me as particularly interesting: firstly the choice of bass trap they tried, the PSI Audio AVAA C20 active traps. I had never come across these before and their claims are intriguing. I wonder how good they actually are? (The two they could accommodate in that room weren’t enough, but that is with the corner speaker placement.)

The other was the DSP unit they then used: called Trinnov, it is pretty pricey at £6k - though not expensive in the context of the system and wanting to use corner speaker placement. They used it between the Naim pre and power amps.

they are front ported? don’t know if it’s the correct term. But they seem not to be rear ported, so perhaps it’s less problematic with the wall just behind ?

Yes but with a side wall, about 30% of the energy is going to be directly reflected (and arrive out of phase). While reflected sound is normal, getting so much hitting you out of phase at nearly the same time as the direct sound is less than ideal.

Now, not everyone has the luxury of where they plonk their speakers due to domestic constraints. But, unless I was a Japanese hifi enthusiast, I would not bother with speakers of that calibre in a room like that and if I was a dealer, I’d not bother demonstrating them in those conditions either.

1 Like

Another set up of the Fenestria. At Hifi Lounge. Seems to be in a better environment here.

these PMC look like a bit like the Dynaudio.

It looks like Mr PMC is setting up the Fenestria himself… Or am I mistaken? Also, here, the 500 is a much better choice than the 300 in the earlier setting. I am no expert but the Fenestria look rather “big” for a 300…

i can’t say they are nice personally. Monstrous. Too tall, like the Dynaudio above.

It’s the picture that makes them so tall. Here it’s better.

Hmmm – similar hair do… But I think I was mistaken…

Or you could say He’s a midget. Look! He’s not even as tall as a speaker!

2 Likes

The crossover was passed around at Signals Fenestria demo, its huge, weighty with large componentry. I commented it must need a lot of power, PMC said not. Though my suspicion is its much better with a lot of current.