PMC Fenestria

One of the best, if not the very best, midrange drivers is ATC’s 3 inch dome unit used in the SCM40 and upwards.
PMC used to use the same driver in their pro range speakers, later replaced by an in-house clone when allegedly ATC stopped supplying (IB2 upwards).

When I heard the Fact 12, after the MB2, I thought its midrange was pretty good, just a smaller scale speaker. Given that the Fenestra has followed the XBD concept for bass, and isolated the mid/top, I would expect it to improve on the F12 and to excel on vocals.

My current speakers are using ATC 75mm dome with some carbon coating modifciation

Out of interest, which do you prefer for vocals?

I don’t think there is any speaker that can beat the Harbeth M30.1/30.2 in reproducing human voice. Even the Super HL5 Plus fails to match the M30.1 in this respect. It sounds so real that one would think the singer is performing in the room live as if you are sitting in a small jazz club, front row.

I’ve listened to the ATC SCM40 before too…

1 Like

M30.1 vs SCM19 driven by 552/300 - my personal impression is that the SCM19 is more lively and similar vocal performance. But setting non ideal as they are placed between a TV in the bedroom. Not for critical listening but rather jack of all trades including music and Netflix.

You have an execellent system but your Proac may be the weakest link. I supposed Magico may be a good option for you to consider. I have a pair of Magico driven by Statement pre + NAP500dr and I managed to tune my system so that the vocal can sound more like my previous speaker (Proac D100) and with Magico’s low bass extension. I have just got it done right yesterday.

I heard a big difference between 30.1 and ATC SCM19. Agree 19s are more lively and better suited to smaller rooms.

For me, 30.1 fill my room better and have more weight to the sound. Prefer mid range and vocals on 30.1 but the 19s have more accurate bass though have less perceived bass than 30.1.

you have an impressive system Biglsaac. How sounds your Doshi V3 vs superline / supercap ? i am curious

The Doshi and the Superline are both very capable phonostage with performance well beyond their price point. The most significant difference between them is that the Doshi’s treble is very slightly rounded and it has vocal presentation that is highly addictive. On the other hand, the Superline has excellent PRAT quality.

1 Like

I heard the PMC Fenestria with Moon.
Visually, it’s a beautiful work for the eyes, musically it’s the most successful medium that has been given me to hear.
It’s always a mystical moment when a speaker of this caliber disappears from the auditory field and presents a sound scene so realistic in terms of presence and intensity!

So you’ve ordered several pairs then :grin:

But are they better than your Linn Kans?

And have you been persuaded by a really well performing passive crossover yet?

Yes, just enough to make a 5.1 :yum:

I think it’s another pleasure for the Kan, and the little Kan gives me all the euphoria of music without all the precautions related to big installations.
And to finish, no I do not find the same freedom of expression in a passive Speaker, but I do not give up the quest :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.