PMC Speakers - new 'i' range

I’m supposed to have 25.26i’s arriving today to replace 20.24’s. I’ll report back when I can.

I did listen to the new 24i at the dealers but have bought these blind. However my dealer says he will take them back if I don’t want them for any reason.

Haven’t heard the new i’s but own the Twenty5.26 and the mid driver is incredible! You are in for a treat! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Holy craperoos!!!

I have read this I am gutted for you…I was indeed considering the 25.21i and I have read a number of reviews where they state that the fundamentals of the speaker have not changed…just incrementally improved … I cannot help but believe there is some factory problem. I suggest you pursue this with your dealer and if necessary direct with pmc…there has to be an explanation…perhaps the bass units being wired out of phase…

@Richieroo Yep, have tried all of the above. I’ve also inversed phase by 3 methods; at amp, at speakers and by software with Roon. No cigar.
Since the first pair arrived with the driver hex nuts basically UNSCREWED and finger-loose (which I subsequently tightened myself) I raised the hypothesis with PMC that perhaps the assembly person was dangerously intoxicated and got something mixed up. 2nd pair confirmed that this wasn’t the case and the drivers were correctly fitted. Proudly Made in Britain!

1 Like

Bass units out of phase would reduce the bass…

Knowing PMC and their history with ‘i’ versions I cannot believe that the speaker will have changes as much as described by @anon91365548. This is not disbelieving the description, but the cause. To me that begs a question as to whether Lenin‘s old speakers might be faulty (maybe their bass drivers wired out of phase) producing less bass than they were supposed to.

@Innocent_Bystander Indeed, I briefly entertained the notion that the previous gen 25.22 was faulty. But not for long. They had all the typical characteristics as described and experienced by customers and reviews around the world, including at home. From my experience it was slightly bright and hot on top and nicely subtle and not overpowering below. In fact, part of “burn-in” was the brain filling in missing lower octaves subconciously I suppose. Room placement was free and liberal. The new version - NOT AT ALL.
Sorry. I will no longer subscribe to the club that erects PMC as a mythical manufacturer of perfect products.

I’d be speaking to your dealer and getting another pair out in case it’s a one off.

@popeye What? They’ve sent me two pairs already. I think it’s time to stop the foolishness and identify an entirely different solution. Trying to remain philosophical as this is not a life or death situation but the frustration is pretty damned high as I have prepared this change for months and it wasn’t cheap. Good thing is I don’t have cancer or Covid-19.

I gather he/she has already had an exchange pair. More relevant - but maybe difficult at the present time, would be to have the dealer round, or take them to a dealer, and have the dealer hear and compare with expectation and range awareness.

1 Like

Yes in a normal speaker that would be the case but maybe not with a transmission line…

Apologies, missed that.
I would try get rep/dealer to house.

@Richieroo When I inversed phase it effectively killed the bass. Wasn’t good. It was like going from one extreme to another. So very impressed with PMC!

If you live in the UK i would ask PMC if one of-their guys could come out and listen…Tom Barron maybe?

1 Like

A transmission line is no different from any other speaker in this regard. If one driver is out of phase compared to another the sound will still cancel where they meet and would reinforce when in phase, whether it is the direct sound from the front of the two bass drivers, or the sound from the two vents,

1 Like

Another fun fact : I had to REMOVE THE HICAP just to listen with massive bass attenuation in Roon.

Do you think this is acceptable? Removing an expensive Naim PSU just to have maybe 5% less bass and lower mid-bass energy? I do not think so.

I know I’m ranting uncontrollably here but I also believe that customers do not have to accept anything and everything and certain truths need to be told.

OK…there is something amiss…I think it would be good advice to try get PMC out to come out and listen…I think Gazza is right…you have paid allot for these…you deserve a solution…

1 Like

@Richieroo Yes, perhaps but at this stage, beyond my personal predicament, I am curious as to how PMC will handle this on the market. I have played and experimented enough now with 2 pairs to become convinced that there is indeed an issue here. Unless I could be considered clinically unfit, which has yet to be confirmed. Been doing this for 40+ years and currently have for systems of SS and tubes, speakers using iso-dynamic, electrostatic and electro-dynamic technos. I’ll answer to any name except “idiot”.

One last thing…maybe just maybe pmc have tinkered with the mid to upper bass…and it is enough to set off a room node…that was not evident before… I am sure I read somewhere that the upper bass was now fuller and not as dry… Perhaps what you are describing is a bass peak in your room which excites boom…this would do what you are describing…its just a thought…

2 Likes

@Richieroo I haven’t re-done my REW and Dirac measurements yet. It’s time-consuming. I know where my room resonances are below 100hz and there may indeed be a problem, which I categorically did not have before with 25.22 non i version.

The thing is, PMC has not mentioned this “improvement”. They should have. What is happening is that the very reason one considers a TL speaker is for a particular bass response esthetic and ease of room placement. Once again, this pair behaves as an unruly and unhappy rear-ported bass reflex. I simply cannot set them in the middle of the living room and enjoy marital bliss.

1 Like