PMC Speakers - new 'i' range

I do not understand how removing the HiCap helped your issue. A HiCap creates a lower noise floor, adds better separation and from my personal experience doesn’t have a great deal of impact on the bass except for tightening it up due to better separation.
Something in your system certainly sounds astray and I think your issue lies within your system or room somehow and not your speakers.

1 Like

I was wondering if a room node was the issue too. 2 pairs of faulty speakers in a row would be highly unusual

1 Like

Still think £4k for my 20.26’s is starting to look good vfm now. No intention of changing them. But, they do need good amplification. The bigger the better. Currently I’ve got my MF Nu vista 300 power driving them very nicely.

Well they’ve arrived :grin:

8 Likes

@popeye The problem with the system is the PMC 25.22i speakers and associated stands. They equally hate Musical Fidelity, Jadis and a beautiful YBA as much as they hate Naim. But sure, yeah, the speakers are obviously perfectly beyond reproach and it’s my system. LMAO. Over and out.

Next up: YouTube video where I set them on fire in the garden. Just waiting for the rain to subside.

See if you can find some NOS 20 series. Fanthorps should have some.

@popeye Well, as I mentioned, it only helped for maybe 5% or perhpas it’s me just imagining things. This occurred during the very long process where I re-checked every possible option to see if something was amiss.
Anyway, I know I won’t resolve this on a Naim forum, it’s just a caveat emptor for future PMC buyers.

@Thegreatroberto You mean the ones exhaustively tested by Audio Science Review?

Me thinks probably … problem is room. REW would probably cure this… still I agree if I was you I would be equally pissed off… interesting for all the wrong reasons…commiserations mate…

1 Like

@Richieroo Thanks, all I needed was a bit of sympathy! Best regards.

Can you not return them and get your dosh back? If they’re so radically different PMC / Dealer should sort you out if only as a PR exercise

1 Like

You have my sympathy too. It sounds they got inspired by b&w. Good stuff, but they need space.

1 Like

I added a Hicap to a 32-5 and went looking for subwoofer I didn’t have :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting, when I added to Supernait2 I was using previously, I would have said if anything it removed bass but all it did was tighten everything up and remove wallow. Certainly didn’t add any. :man_shrugging:

Could the problem be that they are in the same position as your old speakers and whatever has been changed in the design requires some time to be spent repositioning?

1 Like

Hi Lenin
Firstly I am really grateful that you have taken the time to describe your experience of the new ‘i’ range. You have certainly given me something to think about as I was undecided about these and thought if I did decide to upgrade I wouldn’t need to do a home demo.
I shall learn from your experience. I had a week long demo of my existing 25.23s before deciding to buy them.

I am sorry to hear that the new 25.22i’s have not worked out for you.

There aren’t many reviews around of the new ‘i’ series. Those I have seen state the differences are subtle and an improvement.

1 Like

@Elfer Possibly, although I have already adjusted much further away from the previous gen 25.22’s location. I started off, obviously, at the exact same spot but quickly realized that there was a problem and moved them much further out into the room. This effectively destroys one of the advantages of the TL design which was or used to be, somewhat easy room positioning.

I’d like to clarify one more point for whomever may be interested. My room is a bit over 35m2, so not necessarily miniscule. That said, speaker boundary interface response doesn’t seem to be the primary problem. I know when and where my room will resonate and boom (mostly at 42hz and 61hz according to REW) but I’m not hearing this from my room with these speakers.

I am hearing some kind of strange internal implosion within the cabinets. I can hear this beginning at very low volumes, before the room is even impacted by the longer bass frequency waves. This leads me to believe that PMC have mucked up the design of this series to a point defying all logic and reason.

Second observation; on familiar tracks the very first bass note, say under 150hz or so, totally explodes quite loudly and then subsequently calms down.
It is as if the TL chamber needs to “load” with air with this first note in order to regulate the air pressure of the following and subsequent bass notes. This is obviously a ridiculous situation and I did not hear or experience this with the previous models,

I repeat and insist on declaring my firm belief that PMC have literally ruined these speakers by shoddy and careless design. I’ve told them so as well.

1 Like

@1GiantLeap Well, that is indeed the only thing I could’ve hoped to accomplish here with my fit of bad humor…warning fellow music lovers to watch their step with the PMC i series.
Brgds.

2 Likes

Not sure any of us can help you in your situation, as i have posted i would get PMC and or dealer to listen and advise. Complaining on here to PMC and other customers is not going to sort your situation. I have met Peter the owner a few times and he runs a great, caring company…If your dealer is not helping enough, contact PMC. A visit from them could help, best wishes.

4 Likes

No idea. But the 20.26s that I have are great sound for the money.

1 Like