Pmc speakers

25.23, temporary location. Wonderfully revealing and very very fast, with mids to die for. Very happy with them.

Check out my PMC related thread here.

8 Likes

Loved my FB1i’s and 20.26’s and still have my GB1i’s as rears in my surround set up but when it came to upgrade I preferred the Kudos Titan 707’s to the Fact 12’s. I suppose it may have been different now I have a NAP500DR replacing the 300DR at time of demo but I’m not trying again just in case !

I see many of you keep the grills on: don’t you think they affect the sound?
honestly I never used mine, I kept them in the original package.
in the past I had other speakers and the grills where clearly impacting the sound, so this time I did not even try to put them on.

1 Like

Their main purpose is reducing the risk of any accidental damage to the drivers/cones.
Having them on or off is a personal choice in that respect, how negatively they may or may not impact performance is a balance between them not being damaged and sounding good!
I’ve always left mine on personally due in part to having young children with curious minds and clumsy hands.

I remove mine to listen then refit them when finished, to my ears they do mask the sound but it is very, very subtle, but the wife hates the look of them with the grills off, plus it keeps inquisitive fingers away!

3 Likes

:point_up_2:

What he said

Never used my grilles, but actually I’ll give it a go out of curiosity. ATB Peter

That’s what I used to do, but the grilles on my Fact 3s were rather a pain. They attached magnetically and had small cylindrical magnets glued into matching recesses in the wooden frame. Problem was that after a time the magnets came loose and disappeared into the fabric cover and I had to fiddle about finding them and putting them back into place. It rather let the side down on what was otherwise a beautifully made product.

Roger

1 Like

Word to oneself: Oh no you won’t, they have both become warped in the boxes :roll_eyes:

1 Like

MB2se are not even supplied with grilles , luckily i think they look [and sound] great without them.

10 Likes

There’s about a 5db shift on the top end with the grilles on. So when rough and new, I always run them with grilles on for the first 2-3 months to take the edge. Then off… until kids arrived.

1 Like

I prefer the sound with them on my Fact.8s they also look better I think. I can detect a slight treble reduction with them in place, but don’t find that detrimental to the overall sound, so I leave them on.

1 Like

What are you driving those with?

They are sort if my “if I won the lottery (that I don’t play)” speaker.

Profile says Rega Osiris!

Yes Rega Osiris fronted by Rega Isis.

3 Likes

Haven’t been able to move to another brand since having Twenty.23’s. I’ve heard lots of other speakers but haven’t heard any that can combine amazing good looks with super fast bass that seems to go impossibly deep. Went to Twenty.26’s and I’m now settled on Fact.12’s

4 Likes

In my experience transmission line speakers do bass so much better than other designs, so they can indeed make others seem inadequate - was hooked 48 years ago, and am now on my 4th pair, the last two being PMC. The only problem is that due to the challenges in design and complexity of construction they are inherently more costly to manufacture.

4 Likes

Hi

Using Supernait3 & HCDR from NDX2.
Thinking of auditioning twenty five.24i as wanted to hear system with floorstander. Wife previously not a fan of floorstanders but is coming around.
Currently using 805D3 and the tweeter on top is a little harsh at times and I am worrying about damaging this tweeter (expensive repair).
Has anyone tried it with a similar setup and what should I expect to hear?
The room is not small and has carpets etc rather than hard floors. I listen mainly to Jazz acoustic and sometimes pink Floyd etc.
Thanking you

I think the 24 are pushing it with the SN3. This is based on my experience with the 23 — previously driven by a SN2 (with Hicap DR) and now a 282/250.

2 Likes

Not being a firm rule, it is hard to say. Will the SN3 drive them? Absolutely no question at all it will be fine and not struggle at all.

Is it the best match? I think you can read up and see there is not really a consensus of opinion here. An arbitrary rule I follow is that no speaker shall be 20% more expensive than the amplification on the upper cost boundary. And there is no limit to how low cost a speaker can be for an amp. So I’d personally not do the SN3/HCdr/Twenty.24 thing but maybe it works for you.

I tend to swing the other way. The speakers on my UQ2 were just GBP160 (so 12% the cost of the amp), and on the main system, the 23s are the lowest cost component on the whole system. Having a 282/SCdr/250dr I had budgeted for Twenty.26 but the size of the room really didn’t justify it (and it was a large room but IME, with PMC speakers, take how big a room you think looks suitable for a speaker and double it). That room was about 7x5m with a high ceiling and the 23s were nearly too much!

So I think you have to consider two things:

• Am I getting value out of this very capable speaker with what I am driving it with?
  • Just because I can doesn’t mean I should. Is this speaker right for the room?

Bearing in mind the 23s behave like a very (very) big speaker, my concern going up the range would, before cost, be whether the room can take what the 24s pump out. If it is a concrete/brick cavern then possibly.

3 Likes