Polite Request - please stop hoarding your Naim Gear

I often see articles where people have spare kit in the loft that they will probably never use. E.g someone with a 282 and a spare 82, someone with 2 SBL speakers.

As Naim have been brilliant for 20+ years at servicing, perhaps ask yourself do you really need a spare? Is it worth keeping just to cover a q week service period every 10-15 years? Are you really ever going to setup that second system?

Can I suggest during lockdown you dig it out and consider selling it. That will release a load of gear for others to upgrade to, and help the brands longevity and service industry. I suspect it will also entice new sales. You of course then have your own funds possibly for an upgrade, or more music purchases. So win win for everyone.

9 Likes

LOL.

I can only agree. Chuck out your Olive hicap and 82 people and Iā€™ll release my fc, 92 and Nait5i.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been selling bits of my Olive Grove, my hoard of Olive series gear, steadily over the last couple of months, by word of mouth. Still a few boxes to go. Itā€™s hard when youā€™ve been hoarding them for God knows how long, but it was sell them or go to rehab!

3 Likes

In my case in the last 9 months Iā€™ve upgraded a 102 to 82, HC to brand new HCDR, and 140 to 250. Just need pair of decent SBLā€™s, which of course is the real selfish reason behind this Topic. :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve given up. While not as heady as the equipment youā€™ve mentioned I tried twice to sell my old Uniti and had time wasters twice. I canā€™t be bothered now so am keeping it for a rainy day or one of my daughters.

2 Likes

Guilty mā€™ludā€¦

My excuse is that I just canā€™t help myself when the right bit of classic Naim kit pops up on my radar.

5 Likes

I think we can allow you Richard, as your help has been so valuable to us all on this Forum. Your hoarding is forgive and encouraged!

1 Like

As far as I can tell Richard, if you sold off your complete hifi collection the glut on the market would drive prices down across the board. :grinning:

13 Likes

Damn Statements are blocking the staircase to the shed anyways

5 Likes

If you have the active setup then I find they make a very good Stonehenge sculpture.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve sold a few things lately and having made some money against what I paid, it has funded servicing of the bits Iā€™m hanging on to!

Having been a ā€œlate adopterā€ of the Naim brand I feel Iā€™ve now tried enough older kit and happy with where my system is. Always looking thoughā€¦

Must dig out that 42/110 from under the bed, digging into my kidneys.

1 Like

Actually thatā€™s a good observation. ā€œIā€™ve got a whatever DR in the loft and must get it outā€ This place should really have a pre loved area private and approved official dealers. Win win and win. IMO

3 Likes

It always seems a bit odd to me that people refer to HiFi as a ā€˜hobbyā€™. The idea of dragging out an old NAC for the weekend, just to remind yourself what it sounds like, would get in the way of enjoying music for me. I want the best system I can afford, and when I buy a new bit of gear, the old one goes to help fund it. I guess we are all different.

5 Likes

I only have a Naim 1 in the loft. Mind you, itā€™s only been there fore about 15 yearsā€¦

That makes perfect sense to me. It almost seems a sin to have something locked away that no-one can get the benefit of it. Isnt recycling really good?

1 Like

Err. Who me?

Actually, most is in use across 4 systems.

I do confess to having a CD5XS stashed away.

And a NAC282 thatā€™s a backup in case I need get the NAC252 serviced (Though, Iā€™ve been debating lately whether to keep hanging on to it, or sell it).

(oh and perhaps a spare HiCapDR)

(and the I-Supply which doesnā€™t count)

Anyway, my excuse is that Richard has a lot more than me.

1 Like

Mine is on the display rack. It has been unused close to 10 months now but Iā€™m not selling the Naim gear as they are reserved for the Harbeth SHL5+ speakers which are also unused and sitting quietly at the corner. I currently have insufficient space to set up a 2nd system (although I still have a small system in the bedroom) but you brought up a valid point. I am unsure when I will have the opportunity to set it all up again.

2 Likes

I used to have a tendency to keep hifi gear which I donā€™t use. Over the years I have got rid of some and the ones I currently have are mostly keepers. I still have some junk around mostly accessories and cables kept inside a large box but they donā€™t worth much so I didnā€™t bother to unload them.

Not a hobby as such but at the moment a re arrangement of rooms and hifi. I have my first Naim system(Nait2/kans/Planar 3, S arm) and the nostalgia kicks in and I will keep it even if it is now in a bedroom. Other kit will go once the re-arranging is complete.