Polite Request - please stop hoarding your Naim Gear

Too much then?

15 Likes

Weeeeeeell maybe a tad :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That really takes the biscuit! :yum:

3 Likes

All thatā€™s missing is an olive 2, a 3 and a 5!

Very nice. Exactly the same as what I have - Early NAIT, later NAIT, and CB NAIT2.

1 Like

Iā€™m more of a Chrome Bumper man (had a couple of Olive Nait 2s but really didnā€™t like the big knobs and little ones really annoyed me).

Thatā€™s just greedy :grinning:

In light of this thread James one will be gone soonā€¦

2 Likes

Funny enough that very poster came to my mind too Debs.

2 Likes

Nobody has exactly what you have Richard. Nobody.

I so donā€™t hoard Naim gear, that I sold a HiCap DR right away when I got a SuperCap DR. Now I wish I had kept it longer, to see if itā€™s better for powering my SuperLine than using my 252 powered phono input. Oh well.

I almost always sell off gear to fund new stuff. Even if I could afford to keep old gear I wouldnā€™t. I just canā€™t add more stuff to my life. I have much to much stuff as it is.

2 Likes

Guilty as charged: Iā€™m hoarding a NAC 32 + NAP 110 (gold-label edition).

Acquired second-hand in 1990, never serviced (a heinous Naim-crime, I know, but in my defence they were on loan to my brother from 1996 - 2016). The NAC 32 now only plays through one channel on some inputs. The NAP 110 went quiet for a while but staged a miraculous recovery after I sprayed the speaker terminals with WD40ā€¦ :woozy_face:

So in their current condition, sale proceeds would be minimal. And wouldnā€™t a full service cost about as much as their expected sale price? The other problem is that Iā€™m 6000 miles from Salisbury.

Perhaps we should have a hoarding exemption clause for elderly chrome bumpers, letting them live out their days in well-deserved peace?

1 Like

Ah yes, the old ā€œgold label editionā€ā€¦ Be careful, over the years the lettering and logo on these fascias (IIRC approx '85-'86) went from the usual silvery white to a browny gold. They also got rather brittle along the way and itā€™s easy to chip the edges if you arenā€™t careful. Many had the fascias replaced but there are still quite a few with the old ones in place.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m ā€œhoardingā€ a 3-year-old XPS DR.
Why? Recently upgraded to the 555PS to power my 272.
I live in Vietnam. Second hand market for Naim products is non-existant. Thatā€™s why the official Naim dealer I bought the 555PS from (only 1 serious dealer in the entire country) refused to trade in my XPS.
I tried to put it on sale on FB, but no success.
And things are not going to get better as Iā€™m moving to Cambodia!

3 Likes

Iā€™m in Thailand, where there is a limited second-hand market for Naim, but itā€™s not huge. Wish you luck on your Cambodia move. I remember my first trip there (2000) when there wasnā€™t a whole lot in the way of electricity. Powering up a few Naim PSUs could have plunged an entire city into darkness! :grimacing:

1 Like

Where in Thailand? I bought a WE appartement in Bangkok just before the pandemic kicked in. Havenā€™t been able to visit it since then! Thereā€™s a muso 2 rotting in there, waiting to be plugged in for almost a year :laughing:

Now in Pattaya, previously in Chiang Mai.

Hopefully not rotting just yet, although over the years the heat & humidity have claimed some of my electronic gear. Naim kit is made of sterner stuff though!

1 Like

But with what shall I enjoy playing music during the time CBs are at service? Hopefully you do understand that you canĀ“t ask anyone of us to part with their spares. :innocent:

Absolutely, thats why itā€™s a Polite request, and people are of course free to justify their spare systems as much as they like, however the topic has got people thinking, which is all I politely asked. Iā€™ve just had mine all serviced, so will have a problem in 15 years - or of course I could always use the service time to demo even more kit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like