Poll - New firmware: sound upgrade or downgrade?

Actually @Stevesky did recently explain in one of these threads. I’m sure it won’t be hard to find, but he certainly wasn’t talking of a firmware rollback or patch, but rather a systematic process of turning off non-essential software processes - services - to discover what actually was wrong in each customer’s case.

3 Likes

Would be interesting to see what setup is similar for those saying it is now worse from incoming signal in the house/apartment all the way to ND555. I believe Geko and Drago shares PhoenixNet and Shunyata Sigma ethernet. More?

1 Like

Hmm, that was a while ago, and users are claiming a patch is to be issued, so there does seem to be some confusion.

1 Like

Be happy with your nds!
How it is done is interesting but is not my choice. I love naim as they do keep an eye on things like that - even it is only for 6%.
(6 % of all nd555 sold might even be a lot :wink:)

For every product released.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

1 Like

This is what @Stevesky posted before on this

It was only 8 days ago Mike.

I have read everything that has been posted about this issue and so far as I recall, no-one has said that they were told themselves by Naim support that there would be a patch issued. It’s just a lot of typical forum self-reinforcement.

4 Likes

Yes, there does done to be speculation and confusion around whether changes are being made.

I think the issue just highlights the vagrancy of streaming, so you do need to decide whether you are happy with that medium.

naim previously confirmed no DSP code was changed in the latest firmware.

Perhaps they will now tweak DSP in a very subtle way that most of us with lower level systems won’t hear, but those with ND555/552 etc. might appreciate?

2 Likes

I’d feel better if it was just me have these issues but I had a call tonight from my friend who has the big 500 system with Ovator S800’s asking why his system was sounding so sharp. He has no interest in the forum, so is completely unaware of what’s going on except that he did the update a week or so ago. He said his system hasn’t sounded the same since.

When I spoke to my dealer last week all three of the guys in the shop said that they could hear SQ issues with the shops ND. With one of the guys saying his NC home system was definitely sounding worse describing it as sounding similar to the shops system being very bright sounding with poor bass control, so I don’t believe that it’s a specific quirk with my system.

3 Likes

IMO opinion they should detail the changes, after all, they are making potentially significant operation and or performance changes. If it were my car, I’d want to know the detail
Martin

I tend to agree, it’s clearly divisive and whilst some/many have no issues or negative effects when upgrading, clearly a percentage do.
For Naim it’s about striking the right balance between detail and important highlights, the more specific the information the greater the opportunity to reinterpret that information from your own perspective.
I can’t say personally I’ve noticed any massive changes, perhaps as I don’t listen to my systems daily and can go for longer periods of time and not listen to them at all. The influence on other parts of the system must play a part on interpretation of changes also, things like mains, Ethernet cables, other IC’s and so forth, one would imagine.
The forum does have a habit of magnifying specifics also, what reads like a massive issue is likely only the case for a relatively small percentage of the install base and then smaller still per product. When you’re reliant on and interacting with as many external elements as you are with streaming services, inevitably things change over time, not always positively, Naim are obliged to “keep up” in that sense.

O dear.
First off a firmware update doesn’t need any time to settle in. It will either work or not.
The firmware update was it for hi res play back or something else. Sorry but i dont follow these things anymore?
If it was for hi res play back off some sort then i guess if you are now using that, and experiencing this new sound you dont like. Then i guess naim have altered something in the sound chain, like filter or map, or the new hi res files you are now playing has upset and highlight a problem with the filter or map in the standard unit.
The fact it looks like only certain higher end systems are experiencing this, i would say that if above is right, then the new hi res files are showing short falls in the programming, and will need a tweak to bring them back in line.
Obviously as said i don’t know what the new firmware set out to do, but normally before you do these firmware updates you normally get a note from the manufacturers stating what the firmware is changing or fixing.

1 Like

It was a very significant change to me on my NDX2 and I normally don’t notice a lot of these things too much. Took a good while to settle but now I ‘get it’ and am enjoying the uplift. It’s very very good on some material but surprisingly some tracks fall short, perhaps now they’re being shown up and are revealed more honestly. One that surprised me was the old reliable ‘Keith Don’t Go’ on Qobuz, it has now lost a bit of it’s drive and impact and his guitar sounds a little thin compared to before. Overall though a nice increase and tightness in bass, definitely a lot more sparkle in high end which is welcome, big increase in openness & dynamics, perhaps a little light in midbass though. I suspect the changes are deliberate by Naim rather than a by-product of firmware tweeks. If the sound quality can be ‘improved’ well why not however subjective it might be. If I had a very revealing system and bright speakers I might not be so enthusiastic though so I can understand some are having issues.

1 Like

Some like the new sound, some don’t.

I don’t because it’s made the treble sharper and more forward sounding - therefore less natural and enjoyable.

I wonder if there are users that also acknowledge that the new sound presentation has emphasised/sharpened the treble but they like and enjoy that aspect of the change…

4 Likes

I’m looking at your profile, interestingly I used to have A7’s but found then too forward and sharp in the upper mids so I can appreciate that you may now have issues. Also, I had a 222 for a shortwhile and again found it a bit sharp (no psu) so I can see that the A7 / 222 combo might be problematic with the new FW, it’s all very system dependant I reckon and presumably the sonic changes will manifest differently depending if it’s OC, NC, Unities etc.

1 Like

Correct. Any “settling in” is your brain getting used to the change, not the system adapting - because that’s not a thing.

4 Likes

This is exactly what I would think as well.

This is the sort of thing that can really cause problems, and in my view should never happen: Fine to have enhanced treble when you first purchase, as part of your decision making process, or if before choosing speakers etc, but then throws system balance. If originally set for neutral sound, and keeping neutral sound, measured not just subjective, then it couldn’t happen. It begs the question as to whether whoever is judging sound at Naim has increasing HF roll-off in their ears so the sound is balanced to compensate…though I would hope and expect Naim to have measures in place to ensure that can’t happen.

4 Likes

Have just pulled the trigger.

I can definitely hear a change (for the better) with ND5XS2 into nDAC.

Very happy so far!

Thank you all for your feedback!

5 Likes