Poll - New firmware: sound upgrade or downgrade?

Good as it is there was no real gun to the head though to roll out the new radio service, particularly at the expense of sq, surely they could have given it a few more weeks or whatever to make sure it was right rather than rushing it with a ‘it’ll do’ mentality? Overall SQ is more important than iradio in the grand scheme of things.

1 Like

As Richard mentioned.
If hard reset will not help, we should Open a ticket instead of speculating. I have openend a ticket and very much think naim will help me soon.
One Think is for sure - naim will Not let anyone alone in the rain with that Problem. What They will do to help - for today pure Speculation.

2 Likes

You and I might agree on that but neither of us, or at least I am not, a Naim employee who makes such a priority and judgement call.

1 Like

I don’t use the Naim app, but am a 12 year Audirvāna user. I tried the Naim app and found it to be inferior to Audirvāna studio streaming pcm to my 222 as a upnp endpoint. I wonder if that is a difference between those who hate the update and those who find it better or neutral, Naim app v Audirvāna?

That’s comforting Richard but in reality I didn’t feel particularly confident when I got a response from Naim support to my recent ticket. There was a bit of blurb about having to introduce the new FW to overcome some issues but they basically said that the new firmware had gone through rigorous listening tests and had been selected on its sound quality and that a hard reset was recommended. No comforting words that they were aware of a problem with other users and that they were attempting to fix it. It made me feel that this was likely to be the “new sound of Naim”! Like a few others on here I’ve already done the hard reset and it made absolutely no difference! I’m quite prepared to give Naim some time to resolve the issue but I have to say my loyalty to the brand is beginning to be slightly tested!

5 Likes

Although the thought is interesting, I don’t think that’s the case here.

App has no impact on sq

Nope, it’s not the recording. If I play the same track on my Node it sounds great!

It’s not an app… Audirvāna is processing the sound before it’s sent to the streamer. You can add a whole variety of effects if you wish. I apply an EQ profile to my headphones for example.

Sure but I was referring to the Naim App as you mentioned above

1 Like

Yes but what I meant was whether using Audirvāna as an intermediate makes the change for the worse less likely than using Qobuz via the Naim app?

1 Like

Sounds lovely here :blush:

Sorry, just a bit of banter to try and lighten the situation

Also the words in the song are a bit ironic for this thread :laughing:

2 Likes

WHAT?
I am still in the status “ticket received”.
The text you mentioned was send to me also (as response to my initial mail) and after I received it I send an email in response and gave them a call immediately. Through my e-mail response I opened another ticket - at least in think so.
On the phone they were much more focussed and I was told that they know the issues and are at the moment working on it.

If there is no solution and a new sound is introduced via FW update without notice, my loyalty …
Maybe it is time to look for alternatives… but do not want to do this. Come on naim - you had my heart, my ears and money for nearly 40 years :wink:.

Not in my experience. Mconnect sounded clearly different from Naim app for example. And Roon also ( but not tried Roon)

You could try Mconnect app , while waiting for the update. It sounds lighter than Naim app.
You can download the free lite version.

Yes, Naim are aware and will work to a resolution. But it’s almost certainly going to take weeks, not days, so it’s going to be a case of taking a deep breath and living with things as they are until any revision has been through testing.

3 Likes

I’m guessing that the response I got back was probably the standard response everyone’s getting to the their initial enquiry. I then wrote back explaining my further dissatisfaction and I believe this has been passed up the chain.

1 Like

So late to the debate as I had not even known about the update! As someone who has worked in studios over the years I can tell you what I think. The obvious sound to me is compression which makes music sound louder at lower levels but not so good at higher levels. But after longer listening I am not sure at all, it’s radical by Naim so a period of understanding is always necessary There is a huge difference in detail and very revealing which can be alarming as once heard you can’t go back. To me it’s like listening in a studio environment where you need to hear everything so you’re now hearing what the producers hear, but is this a good thing? Some great recordings sound a lot better but anything recorded in a poor way will be shown up badly! But I find this on vinyl
Recordings and the differential between the two has narrowed, but I like vinyl a lot. I think Naim will and may tweak this sound as I think it’s a little too pronounced for some systems as they stand but I am loving the sound in one way as it’s like listening to all your records again but for some people I would say they will rather put the lid back on the genie! Update: it settled in after a few hours and moving the speakers a little really helped so now sounding excellent! :ok_hand:

3 Likes

If I was really upset with The, change in sound quality, I would use this as an opportunity to try Audirvāna

4 Likes

Yes, from Alan on the front desk to Beryl in Security.

6 Likes