Pound for pound, Naim’s greatest ever product

Shoe boxes are just great.
Design, aesthetics, appeal, form, foot print, ergonomics, ease of use…

FWIW, I genuinely think a shoe box size pre and power combo is a winner. Make it a decent combo - mid range - around similar SQ to 202 / 200. (Maybe modern equivalent of 72 / 140).

It brings limitations… For example, on the pre-amp only 4 or 5 source inputs. Space for limited controls on the front, etc.

Make the focus great sound quality, (rather than long list of features). Keeping it simple, to keep cost sensible.

Obviously, would be great with an option to add external PSU, same shoe box size, like a HiCap.

All this at around £2k per box. So maybe £4-5k for pre and power combo. Plus add a HC for another £1.5k for an up lift in SQ when you’re ready.

I’d gladly invest.

The icing on this cake would be a shoe box size USB DAC. (Not even asking for this to be a streamer too). So, two, three or four separate boxes - of the same style and form - for a great system. Not the very very best. Just plain and simple “great” would do fine.

2 Likes

I like the idea of shoebox sized boxes but I wonder if they really are either cost effective or what the market is willing to pay for. My ideal would be
Hicap (Optional)
Pre
Power
Streamer
Dac
Would that collection really stand up against an Atom or even a Nova at the price required by Naim to make a profit?

1 Like

What a delicious idea…
That’s a perfect wish list for me
(And I didn’t dare “push my luck” and ask for a streamer too).

On market appeal and commercial success - I think that depends on quality. If the SQ is as good, if not better than other items at that price point, it would succeed. Following other comments from forum members, I see the design alone may have appeal to many. Also, offering users the opportunities to grow their system over time. Start pre power. Add PSU. Add USB DAC. Add streamer… Maybe also offering Atom users a next step too - into separates - one box at a time.

I was suggesting at 202 / 200 price point. As there is now a gap between SN3 and 282 / 250. So, it might fit neatly into the Naim range at this price point £4-5k

I’d buy. But readily acknowledge that’s a market of one. LOL :joy:

That’s my “two pennies worth”.

1 Like

I’d place my order now for my list at 5k. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think quality casework like the Solstice is important, even if it does bump up the price.

What do you think @Naim.Marketing ?

2 Likes

Isn’t this drifting a bit off topic???

1 Like

Yes, quite right. Lets get back to main thread.

Pound for pound it HAS to be their lavender IC cable because…

1. It comes as a freebie with almost all of the non 500 level sources.
    2.It beats many, many other non-Naim interconnects even in the 4 figure price range.
  2. It is not prone to self destruction.
  3. They can be had for $30 or so easily on the used market even if you do not have one.
8 Likes

Just love this cuty,

15 Likes

yeeeees, the 32.5 is terrific. i’d hesitate as it is Pound for Pound with the Nait1 wich is fantastic for it’s price

Totally agree :blush:!

26 Likes

Very nice and retro furniture to match :slight_smile:

I agree, the Muso family comprise sone of the best sound bars you can buy, if not the best. We have two QBs, a Muso Mk1 and a Muso Mk2. The Muso Mk2 is remarkable for what it is. Good VFM? I don’t think so. They are overpriced IMO. Other brands can get close for less money. Considerably less in some cases. If you want the best, the Muso is worth the extra but on sound per pound it’s different.

2 Likes

@Harry I totally agree with you on all points, however the thread is “pound for pound, naims greatest ever product” so my comments were restricted to naim only products rather than vs other brands.

Yes. I see what you mean.

1 Like

I find there are sharply diminishing returns with any stereo gear design no matter what the brand, so for me its really about value hunting. Mega bucks in other words do not necessarily yield mega results. For example, I have owned active olive 250s with a 72, which is a mega system in my book, then switched from LPs to CDs and sold the 250s and got an XS, then an SN2, and then an XS2. Between all these the SQ was not much affected by the amps - the SQ was most affected by the quality of the front end, as Julian Vereker suggested. Most Forum comments seem to be about upgrades to the back end-- larger and larger amps and speakers.

1 Like

With the 250 it depends what pre you were using it with. If it was with any of the Nait’s then I can understand if you weren’t that taken. I know what you mean with the SN2…I owned one it felt the XS was just too close and whole lot more fun sounding.

1 Like

“VFM is much like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.”

On the nail, Sir…

“I have no doubt that an owner of the Statement amps can make a good argument that they are VFM.”

I don’t think most owners of the Statement amps will make the case for them being VFM… but in terms of sonic value, for sure. For me, they are State-of-the-Art. One of life’s pleasures.

But one could equally be happy with an olive Nait 2’s musicality and just enjoy it for what it is.
I don’t want to spend my time chasing boxes… wanna just enjoy music. Our systems are meant as a means to the happy end, whatever they are at any price point.

Cheers

Phil P

4 Likes

Lovely! Enjoy!

Same for me! :sunglasses:

5 Likes