Pound for pound, Naim’s greatest ever product

Luckily shoe box is more in vogue than ever with other makers. Just as people are warming to it (separates with tiny stacked footprint) Naim are getting out of that business.

Shoebox is loosely defined as a box with an A4 ish footprint. Can be orientated with short or long edge front. Naim chose short edge front.

I’ll always have a soft spot for all Naim’s shoebox gear. But if I’m honest, I’ve owned shoebox gear from multiple brands, even now. The added value proposition isn’t just performance for money. It’s what this form factor doesn’t cost you in terms of space or visual imposition.

4 Likes

Nait 1 or the Atom. I think the Atom is probably it.

1 Like

The Solstice power and phono stages suggest they’re not totally out of the shoe box form factor game just yet?

…plus the Atom and Atom HE. They don’t have the same styling, but the Atoms (and the UQ1/2 before them) are the spiritual successors of the shoe box NAITs, aren’t they?

Why do you think they’re just getting out of that business?

…ah, separates in that form factor, sorry!

1 Like

Half width, Solstice box styled, pre and power separates to replace the 202/200 for the win!? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aren, forum rules prohibit such discussions unfortunately. In the context of this thread I’d say a freshly serviced 102 has got to be right up there in terms of pounds Vs performance though.

1 Like

Always loved that film. RIP Sidney.

1 Like

I doubt Naim is out of shoebox market.

Easy to think a Solstice box styled power amp is on test bench to partner for example Atom HE or another new shoebox preamp.

They do need something between SuperNait and 282/HCDR/250DR, it could very well be a two-box.
202/200 seem to be out of product range, doubt they’ll ever come back.

Well Naim are only in the market for what they currently produce. Not what they did produce or might produce. They got out of shoe box separates when the v1 and NAP100 were discontinued which was a while ago now.

Apple aren’t in the electric car market for the car they might make. I suppose the question is, after a break of a few years, will they return to that market. Anyone’s guess is as good as mine. My guess is that other than power supplies and Atoms, they are out.

The Hicap and Superline are still in the old style “shoe-box” case, and of course the Uniti Atom is definitely shoe-box in size but far ahead in overall form and finish. The Atom is one of Naim’s best selling products so Naim have definitely not “got out of shoebox separates”.

5 Likes

I’m sorry Richard but the Atom is an all in one, and a HiCap and Superline cannot build a system.

If it isn’t a full set of source, pre, and power (or integrated) Naim have no shoebox separates system. At last count, they have had zero products on those categories for a couple years.

Bringing up the HiCap and Stageline is a bit like saying Bridgestone make automobiles because they sell tyres.

FZ I get that there’s no pre/power and, DAC-V1 and NAP100 aside, there hasn’t been for a couple of decades, however, I think we’re just arguing semantics here. For many the Uniti Qute was a modern update on the (Integrated) NAIT, and the latest Uniti Atom even more so. It shows that the small shoe-box form factor is still very much a part of the Naim identity.

14 Likes

One of my all time favs, for the importance not only as an actor, but as a man (and is social contributions)

1 Like

Totally agree. Ultimately the Atom is an integrated amp, just with a streaming section too.

Also. If the light is just right. The side edges of the Atom catch the light and give a little hint of (dare I say it) Chrome Bumper. :grinning::grinning:

Here, here…. :+1::fire:

Maybe we misunderstood.?
Anyone can look in the current product range and conclude.

I meant what’s on the test bench and what Naim will or intend to launch.
They usually make priority to mega sellers for most effective profit, that’s a natural thing for investors.

I guess 202/200 is a slow seller hence easy to pull out of programme with other excuses.

Will a Solstice compact shoebox sized pre/power have any future ?
Nobody outside Naim will know if it ever materialize.
The fun is to guess.

Imagine if they get the amp-boards made overseas, Class D anyone ?
I hope not but bet they have things on test bench.

Unitilite - circa £1600 for 7.5lbs

£213 per 1lbs

Capabilities from one box:

CD player
streaming over UPnP
Multiroom
DAB+/DAB/FM and internet radio
24bit/192kHz-capable
Spotify Connect Bluetooth (aptX) and Tidal
Naim App
IOS enabled usb input.

3 Likes

A twin shoebox pre power like the Solstice would look fantastic. It was interesting that someone that used to work in the trade recently said (in the CB thread) that they sold a lot of 42/110s based on their cute look. Optional MM/MC card needed though. If they sold well then a similar size network streamer (without screen) would make sense. No idea why, but for me, 2-3 shoeboxes makes the perfect looking system. More than that and it starts to look a bit fussy.

7 Likes

A set of Phono Cards came with the Naim Pre’s, back then. Only became optional, much later.

Agree, that the Shoeboxes look great. I have a 72 / 140 as my ‘spares’.

4 Likes

I agree, have always admired the shoeboxes, CB, Olive or Black.
The new Solstice boxes looks the business too.

2 Likes