Power Cable for Supernait 3

I have Wireworld Aurora 7, Audioquest monsoon power cables, which cable do you guys think would give the best results when connected directly to Supernait3? Also note that I have matrix 2 power strip on which the NDX2, SN3, REL T9i, Xbox, Apple TV are connected. At present, the Audioquest monsoon power cable is connected from wall to wireworld matrix 2, Wireworld aurora 7 is connected from Matrix 2 to REL T9i and the SN3 is connected from matrix 2 via Powerline lite.

Appreciate all your views and suggestions.

The cable that was in the box or a powerline.

13 Likes

Wireworld mains cables do not sound good on amps, in my experience. They fit low powered sources and DACs better.

I have the Electra 7 and Silver Electra 7.

3 Likes

I’d go with a powerline unless you feel like tinkering with all the boutique cables out there.

4 Likes

I always read that Naim amps should go straight into mains sockets and not in any power strip?

1 Like

Hi @BackToNaim

Experiment with the power leads that you have and trust your own ears.
First thought is best thought.

1 Like

Keep it simple the Amp was designed and tested using what comes in the box for consistency.
Anything else will add it’s signature to the mix.
Rabbit hole. :thinking:

3 Likes

My 555PS came with a powerline.

2 Likes

I have no experience with either of those cables.

I’ve used standard 16 & 14 awg IEC leads, single shielded 16awg IEC, Pangea AC14 mkii SE, Audience forte F3, and Gotham 85055 9.5awg triple shielded with Wattgate connectors. All going into my SN3 and HCDR.

In my environment, the heavily shielded Gotham won out over the others. However, the Audience forte F3 sounded best on my Qutest’s LPS. Go figure.

1 Like

I also think the Wireworld cables work better on a source/DAC so in your case would try between the Aurora and the Powerline lite on the NDX2 (my guess Aurora may be slightly better but have not compared directly).

I would not use the Matrix block at all for your main components and say that I think it’s doing more harm than good. (may be leave for you TV and similar)

The Monsoon should work ok with the SN3. either directly from the wall or from a good mains block.

The above from my own personal experience with all of them.

3 Likes

I would suggest another Audioquest monsoon cable from your matrix to your SN3.

Even better would be having both your NDX2 and SN3 utilising those monsoon cables plugged directly to wall outlets.

Your Wireworld 7 cable running from another wall outlet to connect your matrix to the other items.

This could offer some coherence and isolate the other kit from the Hi-Fi.

3 Likes

Agreed. I used it with the TV and charging the phone after I realised it’s not doing much. This is how is looks like when I dismantled it to have a look inside. Very basic.

4 Likes

A good power conditioner will always make a huge difference on Naim equipment. We (at my outfit in LA in the good ol’ US of A) recommend Shunyata Research Power Conditioners which give a dramatic performance improvement. But, mains may be dirtier here than in the UK. As for the cable, as others have mentioned, a Powerline is the way to go.

3 Likes

Historically Naim has recommended against using power conditioners with their equipment. Has that changed?

2 Likes

I don’t have a SN3 but a Powerline made such a surprising difference to my Nova that I can’t imagine using anything else!

5 Likes

Hi I have Supernait 3 now using Audioquest Monsoon, it’s great I have nothing to complain, I am also trying to go all Audioquest on other components and the synergy for me is really worth it as I used to have different brands before which makes tuning tricky. However people here probably suggest hi cap power supply is what you should focus on. But personally I think is how much you are passionate about Naim sound. For me I’m still open to possibility, I was auditioning speakers and the dealer cheekily put on Vitus amp which beats my Supernait in every aspect but that’s £14k, but it’s a whole different topic, apologies.
Regards
Andy

3 Likes

I have a supernait3 and an NDX2 - I listened to it with the Naim supplied cable then a couple of Nordost power cords I had spare. Both the blue and red Nordosts had an impact, the red more open and refined, the blue more upfront punch. worth trying imo. I went for the red in the end but it’s a case of matching the system including the speakers so you may prefer the blue which is also very good.

4 Likes

I have Audioquest NRG4 on my SN3 (I think, from price and spec comparison, similar to the newer Monsoon). It works really well. I have a Pangea AC14 mkii SE on the NDX2, which is a very good value upgrade.

2 Likes

See if you can get a home demo of Gutwire they do various levels at associated prices. Well worth a listen - Audio Consultants near Reading have them. I took one over to a friend and we put it on his SN3 it was a revelation bass was tighter and more dynamic, sound was clearer with more detail. I have them on all my power sources

5 Likes

Those cables look well made.

2 Likes