Power connector for Australia/New Zealand

I have Naim Uniti Nova and CD5si, they are connect with UK power plug. I moved to New Zealand recently, so I need to replace the power plug for both devices.
Please recommend some Australia/New Zealand power connector that work well with Naim products.
I found Furutech FI-AU3112-N1, it has Rhodium plated and Gold plated, which one is more suitable for Naim Uniti Nova? Thanks and best wishes.

When we were doing listening tests at Naim to find the best sounding mains plug for the Powerline for the NZ market, we found we preferred Tap-ons to any of the fancy Furutech alternatives.

The old NZ distributor used to fit Tap-ons to all the mains leads on Naim kit that he would get from the UK, and every now and then we would receive back from him a big box full of the UK Crabtree mains plugs that he’d removed.

2 Likes

Hi Richard,
Thanks for you information. Do you mean Tapon Plug “PDL940BK”?

I can’t recall the model number but, IIRC, that looks like the one.

The tapon plug, or piggy back plug, as us Kiwis call them, was used here on the Naim powerlines as they maintain the star earthing and effectively give a continus copper connection from the power socket to each device. Since the change in dealer though, they are no longer available and fairly pricy if you can find used ones. I use one on my Nova to good effect and on all Naim boxes on my main system.

There are plenty of other good quality hi-fi leads available here - but without the tapon plugs, Supra would be my preference if I needed replacements - a mid price one with a larger wire size.

Your other options are to just change the plugs on the cables you have, or grab a big standard set of IEC leads.

They used PDL tapons, these days the new ones are completely interior to the ones Chris Murphy used. However you can find them in secondhand eco shops, get them off old power cords and the like. Id recommend not to go out and buying “hifi” ones as Richard said the PDL work best in a Naim system. They are very simple to wire up. If you’re not confident take it to an electrician.
Over the year many different part numbers. The last ones that were used had lest metal contact with the wall socket as they brought in regulations that the first (roughly) 10mm exiting the plug had moulded electrical proof plastic i guess to me, some chance of electrical shock when removing. I wouldn’t be purchasing any new PDL versions, like I said find yourself some older secondhand model, metal was better. The housing is better. It’s night and day.
I see the PDL940BK are indeed the last ones Chris Used :+1: fwiw 80’s 90’s PDL sound better.

1 Like

Oh, btw from what I understand it’s illegal to use tapons in Australia

2 Likes

I took ND5XS2/ Core/ 82/ Hicap/ 250 from UK to Tasmania.

In the UK I use a single star-earthed Hydra from Grahams. Given how well that works, I just called them and they made me one for an Australian socket with a good quality plug (can’t remember the make). It works very well.

Gee I’d be worried I’d bump that and cut the power to everything. I use a good quality power board that has surge protection.

Hi Pete, not an issue at all They are behind my 12 level Mana acoustic reference table which I’m way more concerned about. Benefits of the tap on plugs without any circuit breaking interference is worth any .1% chance of a power failure. I’ve seen this kind of tapon plug set up with a stick supporting 9 plugs from underneath. Was an amazing full 500 system running off a heavy duty mains spur (similar to mine plus it is totally compliant to legal legislation in this country). Well worth the effort.

Also with reference to the OP, my sparky tells me you are aloud to wire in UK wall sockets in NZ, So in theory you could have the setup as you did in the mother land without the ring mains. But I would think you will find what we can do here will sound superior, no plug fuse etc.
Obviously, if you were to do that, you would also check the rules yourself and have a qualified electrician to do the job.

1 Like

I’m only using a power board as a temporary solution as there’s only one x one wall socket. We’re currently building and I intend to have a dedicated spur for my hi fi with ample sockets.

1 Like

The Chord power boards are available here now, so that’s another option too.

Yes i saw that last night only $2000 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah, everything is a bargain these days :flushed:

2 Likes

Not.

1 Like

I use these on all my IEC connections. I might be overdoing it. However, I am happy.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.

1 Like

I use the green option, I do also use a few Naim high liner

1 Like

Are you unable to purchase Naim Powerline in Aus?
Not sure these days but we couldn’t over in NZ a while back.

I am unsure, Rooster. I went with what my NAIM dealer recommended. With all the power cables behind the NAIM equipment and interconnects, I went for the shielded ISOTEK power cables. They cost a few bob, and I do not suffer from any noise issues. It may be overkill, though, since I live so far from the dealer, I did not wish for any to and fro with noise issues.

I hope this makes sense.

Mitch in Oz.

1 Like

Yeah makes sense mate. (For the salesman)
What doesn’t make sense is Naim dealers are recommending other branded power cords. I guess the wheels have fallen off as far as Powerline sales down under.
I rang the most recent import agent the other day with reference to getting a box serviced, they put me on to a guy in Auckland called sound wave services . Was a very interesting but brief phone conversation. After the guy answering the phone in a somewhat aggressive manner, I enquired what the cost to service the said box, he just said what’s wrong with it? I replied nothing just it’s due to be serviced, then he got a little bit more aggressive and it’s $260 to look and then whatever is wrong. I politely said thanks for your time have a nice day. Was a shocking experience to tell you the truth.
Not complaining just he definitely hasn’t had any Naim Factory training as he is obviously unaware of the recommended service intervals.

I just wish Naim would give Chris Murphy over here in New Zealand access to parts including 500 bits so we know who and what we are dealing with. It’s almost everybody involved has forgotten about the customer. :cry:

1 Like