Power Strip

Nice, some retailers leave “-OX” off and it’s cheaper. :man_shrugging:t2:

I spoke yesterday with John from Audience and he indicated he has a lot of high end Naim customers using their conditioners who are quite happy with them. I don’t think I’m ready to go with a conditioner but will likely try the AR6 PDC OX out.

1 Like

I’m curious what folks here think about this scenario I noticed with this particular circuit.

It shares a 15amp circuit with some recessed lighting.

I noticed a subtle hum when the recessed lights were on from one or more of the lights.

Then we noticed a very slight amount of low distortion from the right speaker with the recessed lights on and the amp on mute.

All the humming goes away from the lights and right speaker when the lights are off.

Question now:
Will this AV Options SuperWiremold, Tibia 12, and Hubble 15Amp outlet (or any other options listed in this thread) help with the right speaker humming when the recessed lights are on?

I know I should have the whole thing examined by a electrician at some point…

I am also thinking of upgrading my power strip, this one looks interesting to me:

Furutech e-TP309 AC Power Distributor

1 Like

A quality distributor such as the AV Options SuperWiremold or the Audience ar6 PDC will have no effect on this kind of interference. The chief reason they work well with Naim systems is that they put as little as possible between the mains feed and the equipment, so any nasties in your mains feed get faithfully transmitted along with the power.

To address your hum problem, you’ll need to look elsewhere. Consulting an electrician, preferably one with a good understanding of audio equipment, would be a good start.

2 Likes

I use an Isotek Sirius power strip and it works great with removing mains noise and hence lowering the noise floor, with no loss in dynamics. It’s a good and affordable option to match a SN3 system. Your dealer should be able to lend you a mains noise meter so that you can measure the effects of the filtering in the power strip.

1 Like

That’s a very steep price for 4 starwired sockets. :flushed:

I’d home demo it extensively for that kind of money. Furutech is super high (build) quality but their products often tend to mellow/ ‘hifi’ the sound in my experience.

2 Likes

It’s good tip, and I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

I have yet to find a recessed LED light fitting that wasn’t very electrically noisy. They all contain cheap nasty SMPS and it seems yours are sending the noise to your HiFi.
While a noise supressing device may possibly help, prevention is better that cure to my mind. The best solution would be to replace the light fitting with a silent one, if you can find something suitable.
I’m dubious about the quality of your mains wiring. Lighting circuits should be entirely separate from those supplying sockets, so I would definitely get an electrician to investigate that. Better still, get a dedicated mains circuit for the HiFi, preferably with its own separate consumer unit to isolate it as much as possible from the hash.

Not neccercerily.

Connecting a fused spur the socket ring, then onto the lights, possibly via an LED driver will be OK.

But, connecting the LED’s to a length of flex connected directly to a socket wouldn’t be OK. :scream_cat:

I had a fridge on a completely separate circuit which hummed occasionally, and I could hear it through my speakers. The fix was to replace the fridge.

1 Like

Yes, that’s another possibility. The fuse would be a giveaway, assuming it was a legitimate installation - although assuming any wiring has been done by the book is always risky.

1 Like

Please keep us updated on this. I for one I’m curious about this solution. I currently have the older AVOptions power strip but I’m running out of outlets.

I started with Wiremold and added an Audience conditioned six-plug unit. Both are still in service and excellent.

Ordered the PDC, but was too lazy to exchange the conditioned Audience piece delivered by mistake — wanted to try it anyway. Someday I might swap in a PDC.

Wiremolds, good as they are, are said to be sensitive to plug order, where Audience pieces are wired to eliminate those decisions.

I cannot tell if that gives either the complete advantage! I have limited patience for that kind of testing, now, but do look forward to it in retirement years.

Start with either, I say.

Enjoy.

Nick

2 Likes

Will do

1 Like

Google Wiremold L10320. You can pick one up for $50 (sans 2x4 “plinth”)!

1 Like

Rumor has it that Chord will release some really nice power products sometime next year, so if I were you, I would have waited until further notice …

Is there any possibility of finding Wiremold in Europe type C or F plug types?

Why Wiremold? there are better quality power strips with Schulo sockets than these.

since it is recommended here and said to be approved by Naim.