Powerlines

It looks like it’s directional too. I’m assuming that the black-band goes nearest to the inrush of current - maybe wise to have a spare :thinking:

1 Like

Simply don’t understand how directionality can matter with the Bussmanns, any science per chance?

As a non standard fuse, it should allow for much deeper / inkier / intense / bottomless (*) blacks.

(*) Delete as appropriate.

DG…

1 Like

8…my kettle’s boiling point has been a bit off lately.

4 Likes

9…. Did this last week as was meaning to check fuses on some second hand power lines. These replaced Marbo fuses not SEM that Naim seem to use so all good apart from not having a system to use at the moment.

IME interconnects and speakers cables make a very noticeable difference.

Power cables I don’t notice huge differences but I imagine that’s because I’ve already upgraded sockets and distribution blocks. I will say there is still a difference between a standard cable and a premium Naim Powerlite or powerline

Lol yes this is why some people use the term snake oil in this industry and aren’t very trusting

I’ve used upgraded fuses in my U.K. plug. But I would never spend more than about £20 on a fuse. I mean the research and development or the build cannot possibly justify the company charging that much.

Their reasoning is it sounds as good as a component upgrade. I would be very surprised - I guess I could just buy a £4200 fuse rather than a NAP 500 DR costing a 26K. :grin:

I’d advise waiting for their latest Gold Extreme. It is £8k, but you’ll forever be thinking ‘what if?’ by penny pinching now.

Maybe have it insured just incase it blows during a fault condition of some sort. In which case it’s best to order 2 for peace of mind.

1 Like

This thread shows how thoughtless, if not downright selfish some of you can be. Here you are, discussing a major upgrade, which might make our lives immensely better - and all that time, you simply ignore the fact that for those of us who are unfortunate enough to live on the continong, our plugs are NOT fused… Shame on you!

2 Likes

Continong…I like it! :+1:

1 Like

The entire signal path in a music system is AC, from the mains cable right through to the speaker cable. If directionality is a thing, there’s no reason it shouldn’t apply just as much to your 13A fuse as it does your speaker cable.

I’ve never seen anyone (including JV) claim to have nailed down a reason for it, so we all have a choice of either refusing to hear a difference because there ‘shouldn’t’ be one, or accepting that there might be more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy.

Mark

1 Like

If memory serves me, I think it’s to do with the way cable is drawn during manufacturing and the crystalline structure that’s produced. The structures in the wire are more aligned in the process. Of course this is at the macro level, get down to the micro (quantum) level and anything could be going on!

I’m in the USA. No fuses in plugs. I think the fuse in the plug must be an Old Holdover from days of wonky wiring. In the US we have a circuit breaker in what we call it a breaker box. We have GFI plugs near any source of moisture, and and electrical devices have internal fuses.

4 Likes

Sorry but I disagree, they are not the same case.

AC is a symmetrical wave, whatever advantage there is in one sine, it would be denied in the next sine, every 60 Hz. I visualize this as an integral of value zero, irrespective of the direction.

A musical signal is a very different case and I can visualize an integral different from zero and may be different due to the direction, if a change in direction provides a different environment to the wave.

Just an opinion, but I respect the many people that can listen to the differences with their ears.

If you’re right, and the non-zero time integral wasn’t negligible, and it had an audible effect, this would mean that the directionality of a cable would be different for different tracks, even from one moment to the next during a track, as the time integral wouldn’t be constant as the music changed.

Oh it’s possible.

The important concept is the flow of energy from the mains to the speakers. Even with AC (and sound can be represented as a time dependent sum of sinusoidal functions) the flow of energy is always in one direction.

Phil

No fuses in NZ plugs either. Obviously, there’s the fuse in the Naim powered boxes, but I’m not even going to think about switching them out for an alternative.

1 Like

I thought that the important concept was the flow of money from our wallets into the economy (via our dealer’s accounts).

I’m not sure if I could tell when a cable is the wrong way around. Mostly I’m enjoying the music sufficiently to not be bothered spending time switching them out. That said, I do run a full-loom Morgana, because it sounded nice and the snakey oil sorted out my dry flaky skin quick-smart.

3 Likes