Primare NP5/Qobuz Advice Please

You’re right, Terry said all these things! I work in telecommunications and the best media in this world for transmitting information is optical fiber so I never understood why it should different in hi-fi.
Optical fiber is galvanic isolated because of using light instead of electricity. Very poor attenuation even with a long distance.
I think it’s because of the connector toslink itself that is not very good.
And you’re right too about rob watts who said toslink is better for the Qutest because there is no electric noise with light. But I’m not sure it can go 24bit 192khz.
Thanks for reminding me all of this. I will try at home :wink:

1 Like

Ive just upgraded my interconnect to the Chord Cobra, which has given me a substantial uplift in quality.
Ive also ordered the iFi Power X!

Qobuz explained there is an issue with casting, which they will rectify imminently.
Although no tinescale on that!

In the meantime I’ve emailed Primare about the connection issue and the change of languages.

I like Qobuz, but i probably wont make the move until the issues are solved.

Presumably Primare know a thing or two about audio engineering.

They’ve gone to the trouble to produce 20 minute video advising users how to optimise the NP5.

They have advised not to use the USB, as this will compromise sound quality, but there is no suggestion toslink is inferior to coax.

1 Like

You use the iFi Power on the NP5?

I’ve just bought an iFi Power X for my Qutest but I hadnt considered upgrading the power supply to the NP5

Yes, I had both Ifi power X 5v for the NP5 and 12v for the Qutest. Now I have both Ifi IPower Elite on the NP5 and the Qutest.
I also have a Ifi Power Elite for my fiber internet provider router, I had previously a Ifi IPower X.
It’s good with the IPower X but it’s way better with the IPower Elite.
Tarun (from the channel a British audiophile) said that upgrading from a standard power supply to a linear power supply is better for him than upgrading from a chord mojo (500€) to a chord Hugo (3000€) and for me it’s true.
The upgrade worth the price of 2 Ipower Elite.

3 Likes

Hi I have the NP5 powered by the the Ifi X, running into the DAC section of my NDX, connected with Chord Company Digital RCA. A big upgrade in SQ compared to the bare NDX. NDX is powered a non-Naim power supply.

My question is, how much of a difference would changing the IFI Power X to an IFI power elite make.

2 Likes

12v for the Qutest?
I only ask because it comes with a 5v 2amp micro usb.

I have not used the Ifi X with my NP5 mk2, as I already had a couple of linear psu I could try, a 5v MCRU PSU & a Fidelity Audio 5v psu. But I do have a Ifi ipower 2. Tried the ipower 2 as a reference point. Did find a big uplift in sound changing to the linear psu’s, particular in sound stage but also less harsh with either of the linear psu’s I tried. I have ended up keeping the Fidelity Audio on the NP5 but to be fair there was hardly that much difference I could determine between them.

My NP5 mk2 is connected to my ND5XS with a Mark Grant Coax digital cable, my ND5XS is also connected to a nDAC via a DC1. Not sure this the best way or to connect direct to the nDAC with the Mark Grant. May just be an expensive way of auto controlling volume and input selection on the Naim app! Occasionally though still use rooupnp for Roon radio stations on the ND5XS.

Hope my experience with linear psu’s may be of help.

2 Likes

In my case it was a big improvement. But I can’t really quantify it. It is much darker, more defined

1 Like

No 5V for the Qutest. 5V for the Primare NP5.
12V is for the Zen Stream.

1 Like

The latest info from Primare, suggests that the software updates should all be out by today, and they are hopeful of getting the Prisma App updated Tuesday. No more Chromecasting, and hopefully an iplift in SQ as well, as the Qobuz and Tidal will be inbuilt.
Another thing I am trying on the NP5 LAN socket is the IFI LAN isilencer, I have heard good things about it. If it works it stays, if it doesn’t it goes back. 30 trial to find out.

2 Likes

@Alphapix @jmtennapel

New app now available. Streaming qobuz through the primare app.

Seems unusable to me. Can’t see a way to search for artists, I’m only able to stream by using favourites. But it’s now locked up.

@Fatcat @jmtennapel @Alphapix

Found the search magnifying glass on top right corner for artists ,tracks, albums etc. Certainly not as good as with roon or the Qobuz app.

Early days if SQ any better than through roon.

Thanks.

So you have to scroll back a few steps if you’re listening to a playlist/album. Once you’ve scrolled back to search, it’s not easy to get back to the album you’re listening too.

Plus, once you go into settings, it’s not possible to return to the album you’re listening to, you can only return to the track you’re listening to.

It’s a lot easier to navigate in the qobuz app.

Still trying to visualise how that works, could you please elaborate?

(sorry, luddite question, I only know Audirvana 3.5 running it on my MacbookPro and then via USB into a DAC-V1, not the latest Studio and Origin)

That doesn’t surprise me, I find the native Qobuz implementation on Naim streamers also sound much better than chromecast.

It may be time to get an np5 to pair with my SuperNait 1.

2 Likes

The sn1 has a dac :slight_smile:

Ah of course, I have the same function in Audirvana 3.5 I can UPnP to the ND5 XS2 that way. Shows up as WAV-files on the streamer. Don’t know why I missed that obvious answer.

For me anything UPnP doesn’t give the same SQ as Qobuz streaming via the Naim app though. Which itself already has a slightly “softened” SQ for lack of a better word compared to ripped or downloaded files on a usb stick in the streamer playing directly.
I have asked here previously if it’s the wifi connection that creates this effect. I can’t compare to a wired connection, perhaps others can.

Back to the Primare and with the risk of asking asking a luddite question again: Do I understand correctly that using Audirvana Studio via UPnP provides a better SQ for you than native via the Primare app?

Thanks, the streaming is a whole new learning experience in my hifi career…

An update, Primare just completed the promised software updates, both Tidal and Qobuz are now available natively on the NP5, doing away with the need to cast the signal via Chromecast or Airplay. A big improvement.

I have also had the IFI LAN Isilencer in situ for a few days, it does actually work. A wider and deeper soundstage, better definition of vocals, instrumental separation , just about everything really, and a noticeably darker background to everything I have listened to. For £89 I am seriously impressed. Has to one of the best value system tweaks available.

Give it a couple of days to burn in though.
I did try removing the Isilencer to compare the difference without it, it soon went back on again. Enough said.
The usual advice applies, I have heard it is system dependent, it worked in mine though. But if you purchase via Amazon etc, you do have 30 days to return, if it’s not for you.

3 Likes

Do you have the silencer connected at tge router end, or at the NP5?