ProAc D2R and D20R

To anyone who owns, owned or just knows these two models well, I ask for indications and advice on use regarding timbre, dynamics, bass range, distance from the rear wall and (last but not least) the suggested room size.

Thanks in advance,
David

I initially had the D20R on audition, but they were too much for my small room in the bass department. So I bought the D2Rs. The easiest way to describe them is very similar voicing and presentation, except that the D20Rs knock out quite a lot more bass. The treble from that ribbon tweeter is so sweet and detailed. Both were placed about 20" away from the rear wall and both toed in.

4 Likes

My D2R’s are about 24" away from the rear wall and also toed in(following ProAc’s recommendation). As Fifty-fifty says, the ribbon tweeter is just outstanding.

1 Like

Thanks!
How big is your room?

Concerning the:

Does the ribbon tweeter any issue related to the correct listening position?

I’m in a medium size room. I don’t know the exact measurements. I have no problems with the ribbon tweeter. If you can try them in your room is best.

1 Like

Another thing to bear in mind is that the D2Rs need really good stands to shine. Originally I heard them on Customs and also Targets but they were absolutely transformed on a pair of SolidSteel SS5s. That puts the cost into the same range as the D20Rs. Your room will decide but either way they are fabulous speakers.

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I ask for the room size too. Thanks!

@seakayaker had a D2r and currently a D30r…
He may give you some insight

2 Likes

I have the D20R in a fairly large (and high ceiling) lounge, see image.

The room is about 6.5m x 4.75m x 4m high ceiling, driven by an Atom, and they are divine!

Mark

Please ignore my hiding wife and daughter!

8 Likes

Thanks!

I do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Do you feel D2Rs are enough for your medium size room?

More than enough! If I hadn’t gotten such a great deal on mine (2nd hand) I would have purchased the ProAc tab signatures. The D2Rs (my room, system etc) is just fine. Plenty of bass response(surprisingly so). I can see why fifty-fifty “downsided” to the D2Rs

1 Like

My room is 12ft x 14ft. Not huge, but the distance of the speakers from the side walls is 4.5ft so side reflections are reasonable. My only regret is that the sofa is up against the facing wall which pumps up the bass a bit.

1 Like

I’m aiming for a system like yours. Good to know the D2Rs are serving you well.

2 Likes

Just had the email to let me know that the Witch Hat Phantoms are arriving Monday. The D2Rs are about to get a present. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My D2R present is an incoming XPS-DR. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For the nd5xs2?

1 Like

I have a nDAC that’s fed from a ND5xs2. Another second hand purchase that I’m really happy with even though it’s “old tech”

3 Likes

My D2 (dome) version were approximately 21 inches from the wall. My D30RS are 22 inches from the wall. Both measured wall to back of speakers. They were located in a room approximately 22 feet long and 14 feet wide and firing across the width of the room.

5 Likes