Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

Sounds like it’s breaking in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, @SnaicInTheGrass .

What sources do you run through your nDAC?

Enjoy!

Nick

Toslink from TV and Toslink from Oppo. I usually use Spotify or youtube.

This one is insane too:

Some really sweet “gong” base hits in there and everything is just incredible sounding. Headphones miss the point completely…on the Naim system with nDAC its a new world.

Some artists probably understand that some of their music is lost to mp3s and heaphones and crappy system…only a few get to hear what they really wanted to achieve. Its an interesting thing to think about.

1 Like

Also this was amazing on the nDAC

Yes, the Naim DAC is a beautiful thing.

1 Like

How does it compare with the DAC in the NDX 2? Sounds like it could be quite a close call?

I’ve never compared them side by side.

The NDX2 has a lot of very smart electronics that make its dac work especially well, e.g. on the analog side.

But the nDAC is a separates component that has no streamer in it - and it has the same chip as the ND555.

Both of them work extremely well with a 555PS.

2 Likes

Can the XPS-Dr get some love please? :slight_smile: It also sounds fantastic with the nDAC. Also the nDAC does sound great w/out a PS. I ran mine w/out for 9 months or so.

3 Likes

That’s interesting thanks, didn’t know that it used the DAC from the ND555 … so the modern streaming platform from my ND5 XS2 routed through an nDAC sounds like it could be a nice upgrade! Anyone doing that?

Edit, just realised Richard mentioned the DAC in his first reply :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yep! That’s exactly what I’m doing and it’s wonderful!

3 Likes

Ah so I see! That’s good to hear … did you ever compare with an NDX 2? I’ve starting to think about upgrading to one, but was also thinking about a Qutest … this is now one more option :grinning:

2 Likes

I really didn’t give the NDX2 a shot as at the time I couldn’t afford one. My plan was to stick with the ND5XS2 but a nDAC kind of fell into my lap. Don’t get me wrong the ND5XS2 is really good but adding a nDAC gave me the sound I was looking for. I did try the Chord Dac with the ND5XS2 but preferred the sound of the nDAC. Probably best to listen for yourself as everyone’s taste is different(ears, room, system etc).

6 Likes

I was exactly the same when I bought my amp, no way I could justify the expense of an NDX 2 … the ND5 was a stretch at the time but so glad I did!

I will see if I can demo a Qutest, or maybe buy one, their resale is pretty strong. I like that it’s a small box that can be tucked away and has filters for tweaking the sound.

Listening to an nDAC would be harder, seems they’re getting quite rare!

Thanks,
Mark

Ps sorry to the OP for the the thread drift!

1 Like

Yes, I just happen to be stuck with the 555DR as a relic of buying it for my 272.

But the XPS no doubt gives a huge boost to the SQ of the nDAC, and as we both know the bare nDAC is a thing of beauty in itself, as proven by the fact that it’s the venerable DAC of Mr. Dane.

2 Likes

Ditto.

I bought the nDAC with ND5XS2 and also compared it to the .chord .qutest at home for a few weeks and found the Chord dac lifeless by comparison.

2 Likes

I was blown away by the nDAC at its release and at the time affording it was a distant reach. Now, personal circumstances are much better, and 2nd hand prices excellent, meaning I own a very fine one…and absolutely love it!

It replaces an early Rega DAC…not even worth mentioning in same paragraph. Sort of like comparing a P2 to a nice midrange LP12.

Love the nDAC.

5 Likes

Photographer, I buy used pro equipment exclusively.

What was once THE BEST IN THE WORLD is still good a few years later. :smiley:

Stuff built like a tank, built one-by-one lasts forever, and is designed to be repaired and refurbished.

Nikon F2 from 1971 is still a DAMNED fine camera and will also drive nails for you.

6 Likes

I will hold on to mine. Get me closer to music​:grinning::+1:

2 Likes

I actually contemplated buying another one just to keep on-hand if mine dies.

1 Like