Qobuz Family Accounts are here!

Well Roon dropped the ball removing Purchases which for me is a major way of navigating Qobuz purchases.

Naim also do not show more than 50 purchases in the iOS app which is limiting.

Are you talking about the family account? Surely all 6 (master account and 5 guest accounts) can listen to their own stuff concurrently?

If you have purchased and downloaded then surely a bookmarked focus on folder location would work? Or are you talking about purchases that aren’t stored locally, in which case just stream, why differentiate purchased and streamed?

I think tidal bizzarly has the same restriction of one person listening only on family.

It makes the family plan utterly pointless, all you are saving yourself is someone elses playlists in your mix, who cares!

If that is the case (for either Qobuz or Tidal), I would be staggered. It is such an obvious necessity to allow concurrent streaming for everyone on the family account. I have not found anything on Qobuz website to say one way or another, but would be extremely disappointed if that were the case…

Well I may have misinterpreted on the tidal side. I was quite disappointed to find when I upgraded my account to the mid tier its only ones stream and the help article on this confirms this and seems to read across the subscription levels,

You can however play downloaded/offline content on up to five devices.

It’s still 19.99 as far as I know. Not heard of any pricing changes. I cancelled and returned and only got charged 19.99 on returning. That’s Apple ripping you off.

Not true, with Tidal family you can create 5 accounts with 5 streams at once (1 active stream per account). I have used it for over a year. You have your own favorites as well and you don’t see the others.

That must be where they keep all those MQA files :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ah well thats better then, I did suggest I may have misread the help files.

1 Like

Still a rip off though which ever way you look at it. Is it the same for Netlix? Do they charge more if you sign up my iOS app?

Apple charge the developer 30% for the “privilege” of hosting their app on the App store (I believe this reduces in the second year of service subscription). This is the subject of the latest EU anti-trust case against Apple.

It is not broadly known that you should sign up to services outside of the App store, then just sign into the account on your ios device.

Most developers just add on the 30% to make their income consistent for the first year, (but possibly benefitting in the subsequent years if my understanding of Apples reduction in “cut” is correct).

If I found out that Apple were getting an extra 5.99 from me for no benefit whatsoever I would be pretty unhappy about it. If I found that they were getting it every month I would be outraged. It reminds me of the financial sevices misselling scandals that were rife in the UK until outlawed.

I don’t care how big Apple’s cut is, the only people who fall for this are those who don’t realise that they are paying over the odds for a service they can buy elsewhere at the going rate. There is no transparency here, it’s just a ripoff.

Via the qobuz app, only one at a time.
However I can play 1 on a qobuz app and as many as I have endpoints via roon simultaneously. Just did 3 different qobuz albums at the same time to 3 different devices, plus a phone using the qobuz app playing album number 4. Maybe roon is skipping whatever checks qobuz has in place within its own app.

I dont believe that tidal subs pay apple at all. If you want to sign up to tidal you do it through their website not via in app purchases on the phone.

The price is purely set by tidal et all.

Because the Qobuz API allows for listing of Qobuz purchases, downloaded or not. It’s in their iOS/desktop app, Naim app (but for some reason limited to last 50 or so - bug I think), Aujdirvana and several other apps that allow you to sign in to Qobuz.

Not for everyone I know, but I personally found it very useful.

Items I buy on sale in Qobuz but don’t get immediately played or downloaded often disappear in the larger local library.

I just like quickly browsing using that feature.

It used to be in Roon when they added Qobuz originally, they confused users by automatically merging these Qobuz purchases to the library with duplication if items had already been downloaded. That was a Roon implementation issue in terms of their overall library structure. It should have been a trivial software change to leave the feature in My Qobuz for those who use it without cluttering their library with duplicates.

The other annoyance is being unable for example to purchase an audiobook/e-book from within Audible/Kindle apps - you have to do so on their website - presumably to make it harder and to push you to buy similar items from Apple’s stores.

This may be of interest:

Yes, but they adjust the price to compensate for Apple’s 30% cut (or whatever it is these days) if you do it via in-app purchases.

Well I would say thats ‘more for you’ for purchasing within apple. (Not you obviously)

The smallest amount of research would presumably find tidal cheaper on their website, if indeed it costs more through in app. I have not checked.