Qobuz launches in six more countries

It found my NAS, my UT2 and my back up mp4 on my iMac. I know some people love but I found it too confusing and I really do not want or need a 3rd party to organise my library, I also felt having to pay for that confusion was to hard to justify.

In which case Roon is indeed entirely useless overkill for your use case.
Itā€™s however a godsend if one wants to explore credits, see connections, etc. in a large library, or if one wants to remember and keep control of lots of music that is not all a binary favorite

Ah, so it added your library three times. Thatā€™s a fairly simple thing to fix, but if it didnā€™t work for you, thatā€™s fine.

I also ensure my own library is organized, but, for me, thatā€™s not the appeal of Roon. The appeal is having quick access to everything, along with reviews, credits, etc. In my experience it works better than the Naim app, but I havenā€™t used the app with any regularity in years, so things may be more stable now. It also works with many different end points, which is also an appeal if you like multiroom playback. But this has all been discussed repeatedly and Iā€™m not here to sell anyone on a product.

I use the Naim app to multi room (272/Atom/Muso) and Iā€™ve never really had any problems. All 3 are wired which imo makes them far more stable. My Uniti organises my library as everything is in the one place and that works for me.

But we should get back on track as this thread was about Qobuz not Roon which has had a few threads in the past.

qobuz will never establish itself in Canada. And yet, the market is more potential than Sweden, Norway or Finland. I cannot understand despite the empty promises. Disappointing

Itā€™s surely all about whether and on what conditions they can aquire the streaming rights from the rights holders

3 Likes

Thatā€™s rather odd, thought the market would have been bigger than Aus and definitely bigger than NZ.

Qobuz struck a deal with a Quebec based media company last year and the two developed a streaming platform and Qobuz supplied the content. I think it is very unlikely that Qubuzā€™s loseless and hi-res streaming service will come to Canada given this alliance.

Not certain if I can post a link to the wire story but you can get all the details from this press release.

Thanks for the heads up, I was supposed to be on a mailing list but it seems they forgot.

1 Like

@Pete_the_painter
Pete, Iā€™m in Oz too and have had a French subscription running for the last few years. I am planning on swapping to a local subscription as itā€™s quite a bit cheaper (and in English) but am a bit worried in case the library of tracks is smaller in the oz versions.

Hard for you to compare as you havenā€™t been using it previously but do you have any comment yet on how availability of tracks/artists on oz Qobuz compares to local tidal offerings?

Same here. Registered for notification when the service came to NZ, didnā€™t receive anything.

1 Like

I found that about 80% of my Tidal favourites were on Qubuz in NZ, many were in higher resolution. Iā€™ll probably run with both subscriptions for a while and review in a few months time.

1 Like

Thanks mike.
That sounds pretty similar to what I am experiencing here with French Qobuz. I have a few longer playlists duplicated on tidal and Qobuz and they all have 10-15% fewer tracks on Qobuz.

I have noticed a few missing albums, but luckily I own the ones I was looking for. Itā€™ll be interesting to see what the library is like when I look a little closer.

I just compared one of my test albums, this is the same resolution on Tidal and Qobuz, so, like for like. I couldnā€™t tell much difference but I think Qobuz was a little more refined, but not a lot in it. Where the Qobuz version of an albumn is hi-res, itā€™s certainty better than a CD standard Tidal stream, and a little better than a MQA with the first-unfold via Roon.

I canā€™t do any comparison with Tidal as Iā€™ve already closed my account. The minute I was that Qobuz saw hi res and cheaper there was no contest IMO.

1 Like

It has been a bit of a game changer for me Qobuz. If you really like an album, play it a lot on Qobuz, might be worth buying a download or cd. Now and then they have a habit of making some albums unavailable or we did have one french bank holiday a weekend without music. Qobuz had forgotten to renew part of the streaming chain for Naimā€¦boy was the Core welcomešŸ˜

2 Likes

Guess thatā€™s why itā€™s still important to own your own music.

1 Like

Ahh I think they have a mobile setting that defaults to low bandwidth for mobile data tariffs ā€¦ simply change in the Qobuz app settings to full fatā€¦ My Qobuz ā†’ settings

1 Like

Think thatā€™s probably right using it through the Naim app Iā€™m now get up 24/192 flac.